• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:24
CEST 00:24
KST 07:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9585 users

The Rectangle

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-01-30 11:29:15
January 30 2005 11:05 GMT
#1
I posted this one at pgtour, wgtour, replays.hu and a bunch of other smaller but equally important sites at least in spirit. I got ok reviews in all sites but I got absolutely flamed to death at WGTour. I do not know if it was just one intial bad reply and you know how it goes, all the sheep follow, or the article trully sucked for many of them.

It might have something to do with a build up resentment of many dossiers being rejected in the past. I have always like that dossier section as it has a lot of interesting articles. There is a misconception that they have to be "useful" but hey ce la vi, I can live with it. So little that we do in life can be viewed as "useful" to our peers.

It is nothing out of this world, just another starcraft anecdote like the little man inside the turret excpet that it took me 6 years to see it. I looked around old sites and website archives to see if anyone had talked about this and found nothing of the sort. Nor did I find any hint of the reason for black band in the start up screen. I did however found out what it was about (update to follow).

Like I said, nothing special just another anecdote but I would really appreciate some feed back on it. The subject is definitively a little "nerdy" but I am up to my ears with gamers in forums calling other people nerds, always found that amusing to say the least. So if ur a "jock" be warned about the content.

If you don't have a wgtour account you can check the same article at:

pgtour The Rectangle

Here is the wgtour article too (same thing plus the flaming)

wgtour dossier
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Peanuts.
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States378 Posts
January 30 2005 11:35 GMT
#2
hmm interesting..how did u come to find this..?
I think it IS a mistake that blizzard tried to cover up or it wouldn't have been a rectangle and would have blended with the rest of the picture..
We Are All One
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-01-30 11:38:41
January 30 2005 11:38 GMT
#3
Just looking at the start up screen for years I had noticed it there.

If you increase the gamma in your starcraft game you can see the bottom black band much better (it was actually a band that goes all the way across bottom - not a rectangle).

Also note the fluo green add on layer ~ could have been done a little better, sloppy, but in the composite image those things matter little ~ ends up looking good.
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
EAGER-beaver
Profile Joined March 2004
Canada2799 Posts
January 30 2005 11:47 GMT
#4
Wow! I never noticed this! God, And I've stared at that loading screen for 7 sevens thousands of times. How could I have missed it?!?!?

This is proof that I need to play more starcraft
Simon and Garfunkel rock my face off
Ghin
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States2391 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-01-30 12:27:08
January 30 2005 12:22 GMT
#5
I think they put the word starcraft there and then realized it looked horrible and removed it.
edit: However, I just looked again and its way too small for that. But I definately think something was written there.
edit: Also, I'm retarded
Legalize drugs and murder.
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
January 30 2005 12:24 GMT
#6
Maybe ~ Beta ~
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Ghin
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States2391 Posts
January 30 2005 12:27 GMT
#7
Whatever it said, it was small.
Legalize drugs and murder.
Amnesty
Profile Joined April 2003
United States2054 Posts
January 30 2005 12:53 GMT
#8
It was a Smakcer Video Technology Logo.. Wonder no more...
The sky just is, and goes on and on; and we play all our BW games beneath it.
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
January 30 2005 15:20 GMT
#9
Smacker did the cinematics, not the start up screen ~ why would there be a smacker logo there?
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Amnesty
Profile Joined April 2003
United States2054 Posts
January 30 2005 15:38 GMT
#10
On January 31 2005 00:20 Physician wrote:
Smacker did the cinematics, not the start up screen ~ why would there be a smacker logo there?


Putting the logo inside the clip would kill the momment no?
The sky just is, and goes on and on; and we play all our BW games beneath it.
froZen_wYnd
Profile Joined October 2004
Canada270 Posts
January 30 2005 16:55 GMT
#11
lol wow mistake, i think ^^
blizzard got lazy
Legionnaire
Profile Joined January 2003
Australia4515 Posts
January 30 2005 17:08 GMT
#12
i'm pretty certain it was the text about the beta of it or somthing, i seem to remember looking through all of the pic files in the mpq and seeing it once.
My hope is one day stupid people will feel the same pain when they talk, as the pain the rest of us feel when we hear them. Twitter: @Legionnaire_au
RaiZ
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
2813 Posts
January 30 2005 21:05 GMT
#13
not anything related to other companies ? such as vivendi etc.
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. Oscar Wilde
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
January 30 2005 21:12 GMT
#14
-..-)//

My load screen goes away too fast to catch that :D
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
January 30 2005 21:56 GMT
#15
~ I am pretty sure leg is right. Now if only some finds the image.
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
operator_GoS
Profile Joined November 2004
29 Posts
January 30 2005 21:58 GMT
#16
frozen arbiter ^^ so as me
TeRRan`UseR
Profile Joined December 2004
Canada692 Posts
January 31 2005 11:31 GMT
#17
Pretty cool. I myself have noticed that rectangle for a long time, but I never thought of anything of it. It could of quite possibly been a mistake or flaw. Who knows.
AKAs FreeloSS @USwest Freel0ss @Europe
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
January 31 2005 11:32 GMT
#18
~ it it loads too fast for u a way to slow it down is install any gateway selector program ~ after it will be slowed down for life - lol
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Kaotu
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States986 Posts
January 31 2005 11:59 GMT
#19
i bet its the name of the new race coming for SC2 hidden there!!!

seriously though, very interesting that I never noticed this. Although now on this comp it loads too fast for me to see again

Interesting regardles.... I saw the wgtour pic... I am curious now.
88)WhyYouKickMyDog
Profile Joined July 2004
United States608 Posts
January 31 2005 13:27 GMT
#20
ummmmmm..... ?
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta11
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE65
Nina 27
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 188
Dewaltoss 94
Hyuk 65
Bale 15
Noble 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm105
League of Legends
Doublelift4120
Counter-Strike
Fnx 728
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King93
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5390
Khaldor787
Liquid`Hasu571
Other Games
summit1g7950
FrodaN2163
shahzam513
KnowMe273
JimRising 253
C9.Mang0238
ArmadaUGS103
ZombieGrub48
PPMD42
Trikslyr41
CosmosSc2 23
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream73
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH353
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie868
• Shiphtur197
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
11h 36m
Online Event
12h 36m
FEL
17h 36m
AI Arena Tournament
18h 36m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
20h 36m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 13h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.