• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:10
CEST 23:10
KST 06:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8488 users

[Interview] PDPOP MSL Final Winner's Interview

Forum Index > Community News and Headlines
60 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
themonkyguy
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Australia149 Posts
February 19 2011 13:19 GMT
#1
+ Show Spoiler +

(Z)Hydra: "I enjoyed the games thanks to the spectators' cheers."

[image loading]

- Thoughts on winning the first championship in your progaming career?
▲ It seems like only yesterday when I have qualified for an individual league for the first time in my career, and it was only 2 days ago I got so tense that I had to run to the chemist to get some medicine. Now that I have won, it was a completely new feeling. I hope this championship will be a beginning, to let me have more chance to show up in a bigger stage. I will work hard to maintain this momentum, and try to win a few more titles.

- You lost in the first game to (Z)great's hive play.
▲ I only had about one day's practice against (Z)great's opening build order. When I was practicing I thought his opening is not hard to play against, but after practicing against (Z)ZerO from Woongjing I found out that I could use his opening build as well. In the first game I did not use my zerglings well, and I miscalculated the number of sunkens, and I lost. In the second game my opponent used the same opening, but since I lost in the first game, I would not make the same mistake twice.

- Were you shaken after the first game was ended.
▲ After the first game I had a chat with the coaching team. They all said that (Z)great has likely prepared to play strategically in every game. I asked how I should play the next game, and they answered "don't cheese". Once I get back to the booth I'm calmed and mentally prepared.

- From what we know, you have practiced for a very long time in the B team .
▲ The team house for B team is separated from the main team and its facility is alot poorer so it was difficult to practice in. When I was in the B team I thought to myself that I must survive here, and practice more than anyone else. I feel like, not just our team, but other teams should also keep the B team system.

- You must have been well prepared for your opponent's hive play.
▲ Of course it was on my mind, I have thought about whether I should also try hive play. After today's match, I find that (Z)great is very good at it.


- For awhile you have been poor at ZvZ, how did you overcome this weakness?
▲ Even when I wasn't playing well in ZvZ I wasn't feeling not confident in it. Rather it was because of my overconfidence that cause my losses. Now I played more calmly, as soon as the overlord started to move I pay attention to every little detail, that's why I played ZvZ better now.


- After the time of 'TaekBangLeeSung', you are the first person besides them to win the MSL.
▲ It is because TBLS are such excellent players, that other players couldn't win. I played alot of ZvZ on the road to this final, so it was relatively easy, but I'm still fairly satisfied since I defeated (Z)Jaedong in the semi final. I hope all my other fellow players could work hard so we could overcome TBLS together.

- Former coach Cho Gyunam and (Z)EffOrt both came to cheer for you, did it help?
▲ Coach Cho already gave me plenty of help even when I was still in the B team (laugh). He really had alot of belief in me, so I thought today that I must repay his trust. (Z)EffOrt hyung also cheered for me towards the final. Before I came to the venue today I went to his place and practiced a little with him. Even though I won, I still think that "(Z)EffOrt hyung is not dead yet". When he was in the team house I learned alot from him, and I will continue to learn from him in the future.

- What are you gonna do with the prize money?
▲ I'm going to treat my team to a banquet, and then the rest I'll give to my parents.

- How will you perform in individual and team leagues in the future?
▲ I played in the big stage for the first time, and it felt very good. Hearing all the cheers from the spectators made me really happy as I played. I will work even harder for the proleague and try to get even better results.

- Some people say you are still far from the best ZvZ player.
▲ I also recognise that. All players shouldn't be cocky after winning their first title. Right now I still have alot of short comings, and I will improve upon them, so that I will no longer hear things like that in the future.

- It was said that your parents strongly opposed you when you started preparing for a progaming career.
▲ During 1st year high school I came to Seoul for the purpose of becoming a progamer, I did not listen to my parents and I got yelled at alot. Fortunately after that they still gave me their trust, and without that I wouldn't be standing here. Now whenever I win, the happiest people are always my parents. It is because of them that I would work extra hard when I practice.

- How did you managed to persist on your dream under your parents' opposition?
▲ Of course I could only go to PC Bangs, I use the time when my parents are sleeping during early morning to practice. Also I have skipped classes just to play Starcraft (laugh).

- Alot of your relatives came to the stands.
▲ After getting into the final, everyone said they'll come to cheer for me. Today about 30 of my relatives came to cheer for me in the stands. Although they have been coming to see me play from time to time, but I've never had a chance like this. I'm very happy to have a chance like this today.

- Many think your fundamental skills in ZvZ are outstanding, how did you train for it?
▲ You must play alot to increase your basic skills, and I personally think overlord scouting is the most important. That's why I always focus on that during practice.

- Anything else you wish to say?
▲ It seemed that everyone were not very excited about a ZvZ final, that's why I trash talked (Z)great alot during the pre-match interview. I don't know whether I hurt his feelings or not, and I want to use this opportunity to apologize to him. Also I want to thank my teammates who helped me practice, as well as all my relatives who came from a long way away just to cheer for me.

Source: PlaySC
Original: fomos


Edit: Some photos:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
CJ face, check (-_-)

[image loading]
Effort: I could own this samsung noob in my sleep >.>
Leta: Uh huh...*mind drifted off somewhere else*

[image loading]
Cry cute moment.

[image loading]
Sharing the joy with family.

[image loading]
I think Leta got owned by an elbow there on the right.

[image loading]
Obligation making out with trophy shot.

[image loading]
Effort 2.0, now complete with his own trophy.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
CJ Entusman #48 (-_-)
Necosarius
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Sweden4042 Posts
February 19 2011 13:25 GMT
#2
Thanks for the translation!
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
February 19 2011 13:29 GMT
#3
That was fast, thank you monkyguy!
alypse
Profile Joined May 2010
2784 Posts
February 19 2011 13:33 GMT
#4
Thank you for the fast translation

Will Hydra replace JD as the best zerg in the world? We shall see.
KT Violet 1988 - 2012
pinkranger15
Profile Joined June 2010
Philippines1597 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-19 13:35:32
February 19 2011 13:35 GMT
#5
TT'ed a lot. lol i bet he meant those. thanks for the translation and congrats to hydra!
yoyo!
Emon_
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
3925 Posts
February 19 2011 13:47 GMT
#6
Classy interview from a classy guy. Congrats on the gold and best of luck future msl / osl finals.
"I know that human beings and fish can coexist peacefully" -GWB ||
Shatter
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1401 Posts
February 19 2011 13:54 GMT
#7
So nice to see CJ Zerg doing well even after Effort retired.
Caos2
Profile Joined November 2008
United States1728 Posts
February 19 2011 14:09 GMT
#8
Thanks for the translation! As expected Hyda 3-1

- Alot of your relatives came to the stands.
▲ After getting into the final, everyone said they'll come to cheer for me. Today about 30 of my relatives came to cheer for me in the stands. Although they have been coming to see me play from time to time, but I've never had a chance like this. I'm very happy to have a chance like this today.


That is just awesome.
trexbqs
Profile Joined January 2011
Malaysia1731 Posts
February 19 2011 14:16 GMT
#9
congratz to hydra :D

by the way, thank you for the translating. I'm really appreciate it.
Learn,live and love it.
Existential
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia2107 Posts
February 19 2011 14:19 GMT
#10
Thanks for the translation.
Jaedong <3 | BW - The first game I ever loved
Black[CAT]
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Malaysia2589 Posts
February 19 2011 14:34 GMT
#11
It seemed only yesterday he appeared on the scene. Thanks for translation. Was actually rooting for great, but Hydra did play well so props to him.
You mean ESPORTS isnt a synonym for SC2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch 2 with Cherry Blue Switches- BW or SC2? Why not both?
FirstProbe
Profile Joined June 2004
1206 Posts
February 19 2011 14:37 GMT
#12
I get the feeling that a number of people think Hydra is Effort 2.0. Personally, I've always found Effort to be super cheesy, heavily ling reliant, and a lucky Starleague winner. Hydra plays much better imo, and I suspect he'll be a force to reckon with.
Tianx
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States1196 Posts
February 19 2011 14:52 GMT
#13
Hydra strikes me as a very, very classy guy. I was rooting hard for Great but I'm not at all sorry to see Hydra win.
Intrigue: "as i've said to many others your troubles in life may be directly correlated to your dirty protoss icon"
LightningStrike
Profile Joined February 2011
United States14277 Posts
February 19 2011 15:08 GMT
#14
Good interview (Z)Hydra always been a intresting guy on interviews and now we got the new (Z)EffOrt for Hite Entus ^^
May the next light shine/Former #1 Alliance LoL fan/ Current Teamliquid LoL Fan
shucklesors
Profile Joined May 2010
Singapore1176 Posts
February 19 2011 15:19 GMT
#15
On February 19 2011 22:33 alypse wrote:
Thank you for the fast translation

Will Hydra replace JD as the best zerg in the world? We shall see.


the question feels super weird, like
'JD' and 'best zerg in the world' but with a question mark just feels extremely out of place.
KobraKay
Profile Joined March 2010
Portugal4387 Posts
February 19 2011 15:34 GMT
#16
On February 20 2011 00:19 shucklesors wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2011 22:33 alypse wrote:
Thank you for the fast translation

Will Hydra replace JD as the best zerg in the world? We shall see.


the question feels super weird, like
'JD' and 'best zerg in the world' but with a question mark just feels extremely out of place.


You know whats weird? seeing effort in there looking happy. I'd be happy too if he decided to come back
CJ Fighting! (--.--)
CCa1ss1e
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada3231 Posts
February 19 2011 15:58 GMT
#17
awesome, thanks a lot.

I think Hydra should definitely feel more successful since he smacked down jaedong along the way. still need to watch the games, but, congrats to hydra!!

XD
~ The Ultimate Weapon
darktreb
Profile Joined May 2007
United States3019 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-19 16:10:56
February 19 2011 16:08 GMT
#18
On February 19 2011 23:37 FirstProbe wrote:
I get the feeling that a number of people think Hydra is Effort 2.0. Personally, I've always found Effort to be super cheesy, heavily ling reliant, and a lucky Starleague winner. Hydra plays much better imo, and I suspect he'll be a force to reckon with.


I don't understand this. Did you know that Effort was almost undefeated in ZvP and ZvT (minus Flash) for like an 8 month period in 2009, and even then his only major losses in ZvZ were to Jaedong and during Calm's MSL run? He dropped off at the beginning of 2010 before ninja-ing a Starleague against Flash in which he came back from 0-2.

It's ridiculous that because Effort's title came after a short period of time when he was slumping (and after that infamous tiebreaker) that people forget he was INSANELY good in 2009, a period of time in which he was the favorite against everyone other than Flash and Jaedong and even then knocked Jaedong out of GSL (BW edition) S3 and beat Flash in a PL ace match. Hydra's current run, while very impressive (and I'm a huge fan of him), pales in comparison to what Effort did for much longer in 2009. It's just that Hydra's run also coincided with him taking a title, while Effort took his title later than his best sustained run. I think Hydra will continue to be really good and is a legitimate threat in any league (just like Effort always has been) but as of right now if anything it's too early to call Hydra Effort 2.0 yet.
Piste
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
6183 Posts
February 19 2011 16:16 GMT
#19
gg hydra. I wanted Great to win but you earned it.
Forgottenfrog
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United States1268 Posts
February 19 2011 16:20 GMT
#20
Classy apologize from Hydra. Act like a jerk just for E-sports --- GO HYDRA!
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 526
JuggernautJason33
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 650
firebathero 88
Zeus 64
Trap 39
910 28
Dota 2
monkeys_forever330
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS123
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4757
Liquid`Hasu2012
Other Games
summit1g5896
shahzam455
byalli402
C9.Mang0168
KnowMe140
UpATreeSC82
Chillindude28
Trikslyr26
Railgan18
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream140
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 82
• Adnapsc2 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 33
• Azhi_Dahaki28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur309
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 51m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 51m
Stellar Fest
15h 51m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.