• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:41
CEST 16:41
KST 23:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9493 users

9th circle

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
May 30 2010 23:22 GMT
#1
[image loading]




Greetings,

My name is Lizzare Atisione. Many of you may not know me now, but in the year of our Lord 1493 I brought a particularly successful brand of oil paint to the Italian shores.

It was a mixture I'd spent years perfecting: balancing out each ingredient to complement all the others. It was long, tedious and delicate work, but it proved to be my masterpiece.
I sold my paint from small stores in Italy, travelling around the country as I went, trying to offer my product to whomever would be willing to try it out for their recreation. Thus, I hoped to make a good living. Only, I was more fortunate than that.

I was truly blessed to have lived in this era of our world's history - the birth of the Renaissance. As people all around Europe started exploring their artistic capabilities, looking back at the glorious past and progressing into aesthetics in its purest forms, craftsmen, sculptors, writers and painters alike flourished among my contemporaries.

It was the last group that noticed my particular brand of paint and word of its grand quality spread rapidly. At first, sales only steadily grew, but soon I was overwhelmed by the demand for my work. It quickly became the most used and most appreciated among Italy's most renowned painters.

Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino, the famed architect used my paint. Leonardo da Vinci, inventor and savant used my paint. Michelangelo Buonarroti, the would-be creator of the Sistine Chapel used my paint.

My paint. My child. My legacy.


My business thrived and I lived happily. I had more success than I could have ever hoped for and it was only surpassed by these artists who used the fruit of my labour. Their paintings were numerous and each one more beautiful than the last. They invented and discovered. New techniques surfaced - perspective, scaling, and creating three dimensionality on a two dimensional surface. They gained acclaim, becoming both famous and loved by the people. For many years, their works were displayed in galleries and the public looked on in awe, astounded by these masterpieces.

Ten years later I developed a new formula. The new oil paint was mixed with varnish and anything made with it would shine like the silver moon itself. Sure of my success, I returned to Italy after spending many years abroad. To my amazement, people were still looking at the old paintings, not giving my new product a second thought or seeming to desire change at all.

I sent out letters to the painters to tell them I had decided they had to recall their paintings, taking them from the galleries and storing them away. It was my paint after all.

It did come to my mind that people might miss looking at the beautiful art that was once created from my efforts. I decided I needed to fill this hole. I visited my friend Gomi Televiccini and paid him handsomely to take up painting. I was sure people would love the works made with my new, shiny paint and ensured all who asked that my actions were beneficial to the development of our new day's art.

Thus I made the artistic world of Italy's renaissance a better place, making sure the works then created were supervised by a capable figure and with the optimal equipment. There is no need to thank me, I lived to serve.

My paint. My child. My legacy.


Signed,

Lizzare Atisione




By 1503, the Mona Lisa was not painted.





+ Show Spoiler +
Many a dart
Of sore lament assail’d me, headed all
With points of thrilling pity, that I closed
Both ears against the volley with mine hands.
As were the torment, if each lazar-house
Had heap’d their maladies all in one foss
Together; such was here the torment: dire
The stench, as issuing streams from fester’d limbs.


Dante's Inferno - 8th Circle: Liars


+ Show Spoiler +
A lake, whose frozen surface liker seem'd
To glass than water.
Blue pinch'd and shrined in ice the spirits stood,
Moving their teeth in shrill note like the stork.
His face each downward held; their mouth the cold,
Their eyes express'd the dolour of their heart.


Dante's Inferno - 9th Circle: Betrayers



[image loading]





Thanks to Delerium, flamewheel, flicky and disciple
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-30 23:23:31
May 30 2010 23:23 GMT
#2
First! No kids, don't do this.

I very much like this.
People don't flame in here :<
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
LunarDestiny
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States4177 Posts
May 30 2010 23:26 GMT
#3
I am totally confused. Nice article but I can't find any starcraft 2 reference in it.
Sc1pio
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States823 Posts
May 30 2010 23:28 GMT
#4
Interesting take on the GomTV issue, however, you forgot to mention that the artists could license with Gomi to keep "painting".
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's there are few. " -Shunro Suzuki | fortuna fortes adiuvat
durecell
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom85 Posts
May 30 2010 23:29 GMT
#5
On May 31 2010 08:26 LunarDestiny wrote:
I am totally confused. Nice article but I can't find any starcraft 2 reference in it.


The new paint is SC2.
Caller
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Poland8075 Posts
May 30 2010 23:29 GMT
#6
lol
Watch me fail at Paradox: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=397564
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-30 23:30:44
May 30 2010 23:30 GMT
#7
Damn. Very nicely written.
blabber
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4448 Posts
May 30 2010 23:31 GMT
#8
I hate Lizzare Atisione
blabberrrrr
elmizzt
Profile Joined February 2010
United States3309 Posts
May 30 2010 23:31 GMT
#9
Too vague. Also, you didn't bother to try to make a point with all this fancy metaphor.
d=(^_^)z
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
May 30 2010 23:33 GMT
#10
On May 31 2010 08:31 elmizzt wrote:
Too vague. Also, you didn't bother to try to make a point with all this fancy metaphor.


Are you serious?

Really?

Wow.
Zexion
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Sweden971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-30 23:36:35
May 30 2010 23:35 GMT
#11
On May 31 2010 08:31 elmizzt wrote:
Too vague. Also, you didn't bother to try to make a point with all this fancy metaphor.


Troll?

Very well written, I really enjoyed this!

But can we really blame Lizzare Atisione for what he did? (Please don't start a flame war...)

Slunk
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany768 Posts
May 30 2010 23:36 GMT
#12
Nice read and excellent name choice.
Angra
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2652 Posts
May 30 2010 23:36 GMT
#13
Nice.

It makes me sad that it describes the situation perfectly haha.
LaLuSh
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Sweden2358 Posts
May 30 2010 23:37 GMT
#14
Nice 2000th post
Morayfire73
Profile Joined April 2010
United States298 Posts
May 30 2010 23:39 GMT
#15
For those that don't get it, BW is old paint, SC2 is new paint.
[Insert witty comment here]
Qualm
Profile Joined December 2009
721 Posts
May 30 2010 23:40 GMT
#16
On May 31 2010 08:26 LunarDestiny wrote:
I am totally confused. Nice article but I can't find any starcraft 2 reference in it.

On May 31 2010 08:31 elmizzt wrote:
Too vague. Also, you didn't bother to try to make a point with all this fancy metaphor.


Seriously?

Anyhow, I really like the metaphor, although there is quite a difference between paint and a game. Since, well, Blizzard isn't selling you the game. They are selling you the right to use the game under a specific set on conditions.

And yeah, everyone still buys it. :|
Saracen
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5139 Posts
May 30 2010 23:41 GMT
#17
hah you so clever
Slow Motion
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6960 Posts
May 30 2010 23:43 GMT
#18
What about Kespa? They didn't even invent the paint, yet they are still in the role of telling others how to use it...
space_yes
Profile Joined April 2010
United States548 Posts
May 30 2010 23:44 GMT
#19
Interesting style for commentary on the broadcast rights issue (if I'm interpreting the OP correctly) however I don't think there were patent laws to protect others from producing Lizzare Atisione's paint in renaissance Italy nor would Atisione have the authority to force patrons to take down art they had purchased simply b/c the inventor of the paint the artist used didn't want them displayed.

Of course debating the historical context is pointless but it is the contemporaneous context of ownership rights and potential profit that drive the current debate about Kespa/Blizzard so I'm not sure I buy the arguments advanced by the OP.
elmizzt
Profile Joined February 2010
United States3309 Posts
May 30 2010 23:45 GMT
#20
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the writing style, and lol'd at the metaphor. I just don't think the discussion that this thread is supposed to contribute is anything that hasn't been discussed hundreds of times in other threads.

Still, I guess this is worth it for the funny name "Lizzare Atisione" haha xD
d=(^_^)z
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 693
ComeBackTV 383
SteadfastSC375
Rex127
CosmosSc2 51
EnkiAlexander 46
LiquipediaDiscussion
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 375
ProTech135
Rex 127
CosmosSc2 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 58042
Jaedong 1536
Hyuk 761
Soma 706
EffOrt 630
Horang2 513
BeSt 504
Mini 496
Soulkey 439
Larva 345
[ Show more ]
ZerO 300
Rush 296
Last 285
Stork 249
Snow 218
Light 157
ggaemo 144
Killer 72
hero 69
Mind 62
Pusan 59
sorry 53
Free 50
Shinee 35
Sharp 34
ToSsGirL 23
Terrorterran 21
Shine 20
Bale 20
HiyA 18
Trap 16
yabsab 15
Noble 9
Rock 9
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7729
qojqva1077
Dendi859
Counter-Strike
Fnx 654
markeloff138
x6flipin133
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2190
Khaldor1894
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2645
singsing2134
olofmeister1115
B2W.Neo956
hiko872
byalli384
Pyrionflax192
Liquid`VortiX191
KnowMe115
QueenE78
Mew2King61
ZerO(Twitch)16
Railgan13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream106
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH305
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1772
League of Legends
• Nemesis1936
• Jankos1281
• TFBlade746
Other Games
• Shiphtur262
• WagamamaTV215
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
19h 19m
OSC
22h 19m
Stellar Fest
22h 19m
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 22h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.