• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:43
CEST 20:43
KST 03:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9132 users

[GSL] Liquid`Jinro S3 Ro8 Foreigner Special

Forum Index > News
187 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All

[GSL] Liquid`Jinro S3 Ro8 Foreigner Special

Text byHot_Bid
Graphics bypachi
December 8th, 2010 03:48 GMT
[image loading]
Banner by pachi. Screenshots from the GSL Season 3.


GSL Season 3 Ro8 Foreigner Special: Liquid`Jinro
By Hot_Bid


[image loading]



(T)TLAF-Liquid`Jinro 3-2 (P)choyafOu


T7 Game 1 - Steppes of War P1
+ Show Spoiler [Show Recap] +

Choya opens with an offensive gas and standard warpgates. Jinro proxies a factory to float-scout Choya's main, and then techs to a 1-Raven PDD timing rush similar to what he did to TT1 on their Steppes game for MLG Dallas. Jinro is on 3 rax 1 starport, making banshees after his raven to harass before he moves out.

Choya makes a phoenix which disposes of Jinro's first banshee, but when Jinro moves out with his army and many SCVs, Choya only has stalkers sentries and one immortal. Forcefields split a lot of Jinro's army, but after they run out Choya simply doesn't have the firepower to beat Jinro's remaining units.

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]



T8 Game 2 - Xel'Naga Caverns P2
+ Show Spoiler [Show Recap] +

Choya makes an offensive gas again, and this time opens with proxy DT tech into expand. Jinro opens fast expand as well, but his turret is slightly late, and he's forced to use several scans to remove the dark templars. This allows Choya to safely expand and build up a large colossus army.

[image loading]

Jinro attempts a drop but four stalkers easily defend. Jinro techs to ghosts and vikings, but wisely doesn't engage when Choya pokes at his expansion. Choya retreats and takes his gold just as he maxes out. When Jinro attempts to take his third, Choya attacks. Jinro pulls his MMM back however, and uses his vikings to flank from the open hole in the center of the map. The vikings take out all 5 of the colossus, and Jinro turns a 180 to 200 supply disadvantage into a 140 to 120 supply lead. More importantly, the expensive, hard to replace colossus are dead, and Choya will never again reach the critical mass of 4+ colossus.

[image loading]


Jinro takes out Choya's gold and expands to his own. Jinro snipes one of Choya's two fresh colossus, then lands perfect EMPs on all of Choya's sentries. When the armies engage, Choya's stalkers melt without forcefield or colossus support. Choya GG's.

[image loading]



T8 Game 3 - Metalopolis P2
+ Show Spoiler [Show Recap] +

Both players open fast expand, Jinro producing the standard MMM and viking combination while Choya makes standard Protoss ground units with a few immortals before switching to colossus. Choya adds a few stargates and phoenixes to his army. Jinro takes his non-gold third and attempts a drop but loses the medivac to stalkers.

[image loading]


Choya moves out with a massive ground army with 5 colossus, but Jinro has a large number of vikings. However, Choya's phoenixes delay the vikings just enough for the colossus to deal their damage to Jinro's army, and Jinro is forced to retreat.

With 3 surviving colossus and most of his ground units remaining, Choya attacks and traps Jinro's army up against the side of Metalopolis, forcing Jinro to tap out.

[image loading]



T5 Game 4 - Delta Quadrant P1
+ Show Spoiler [Show Recap] +

Choya opens 2-warpgate robotics while Jinro does the same raven build he did in Game 1. Choya attacks up the ramp, walking past the bunkers at Jinro's choke. Choya loses his units but forces Jinro to pull all his SCVs for some time. Choya follows it up with 1-base, 4 warpgates colossus. Jinro harasses with a banshee, netting 4-5 probe kills.

[image loading]

Choya hits with ground units and two colossus (no range), but a PDD and bunker at the ramp takes out one colossus before Choya retreats. Jinro takes his back expansion. Choya shows his front expansion but cancels it. Jinro attacks, but Choya has his units in good position, letting his zealots tank damage while his stalkers eliminate all of Jinro's vikings.

[image loading]


Choya counterattacks, and traps Jinro's remaining army below his ramp, forcing a GG.

[image loading]



T7 Game 5 - Blistering Sands P1
+ Show Spoiler [Show Recap] +

Jinro opens 2-rax, while Choya opens DT expand. Jinro uses a hero reaper which suicides to barely see the DT tech, allowing him to get turrets up in time. Jinro then techs to cloaked banshee, and his first one gets a dozen kills before it's driven off.

[image loading]


Jinro attacks with PDD, but some nice forcefields from Choya defend it.

[image loading]


Ahead in supply, Jinro expands to his gold, while Choya masses colossus. Unfortunately, he forgets the thermal lance upgrade. Both players max out, and move back and forth across the center of the map trying to gain a positional advantage.

[image loading]


Jinro lands two huge EMPs on Choya's army, which retreats to regenerate shields. This allows Jinro's vikings to snipe two colossus. Jinro's banshee gets more probe kills and a separate small MM group forces a nexus cancel, so Choya is forced to move in through Jinro's back rocks. The lack of thermal lance proves to be too much as Jinro wins the battle convincingly with marauders and vikings. Choya GG's shortly after.

[image loading]




TLAF-Liquid`Jinro Ro8: The Aftermath


You reached the semifinals! Now that you had a few hours to collect yourself, how does it feel?

Woo, I feel about the same as after I won except now I can actually say that I feel that way. After I won I had a hard time saying anything :D !

You were up 2-0 but the series went to a fifth game. What was going through your head after Game 4?

"**** how did I let this get to Blistering Sands? Gotta focus 100% now." Then nothing.

In Game 1, you did a Raven rush similar to what you did vs TT1 in MLG Dallas finals. But Choya stole your gas.

Stealing the gas doesn't affect the build very much at all, I was a little worried when I saw the phoenix as I thought this meant he had analyzed how to beat this build. However, he only made one phoenix and he made observers as well, so at that point I knew he would be too low on sentries to defend and felt confident I could win.

In Game 2 Choya decided to proxy a Dark Shrine. Did you know it was coming?

Yes, in Game 2 I thought DTs might be possible -- I scanned the 2 warp gates and it immediately brought to mind some comments made by Hero about being mindful to have 2 scans at the 7:30 timing. Even after accidentally misclicking one scan I was able to defend, but it was close.

Choya's army was very large, but you picked off colossus with vikings and landed an EMP on all his sentries. Did you feel relieved after winning from a disadvantageous position?

I was definitely happy, it was a pretty damn hard fought game.

In Game 3 both you and Choya did standard fast expansion builds.

I should have expoed sooner because of the positions. I wasn't really sure what his composition was aside from the colossus, despite trying to scout him a lot. I ended up fighting in a bad spot, which cost me the game.

In Game 4 you were caught by a very good forcefield. Did you know Choya didn't expand the entire game?

No, I thought he expo'd. I was told he canceled his nexus afterward though. The force field didn't matter much, if I had known he didn't have an expo I'd have just stayed back. Also, they told me he had no units after his attempted attack in the beginning, while I thought he was on 4+ gate, so I should have attacked immediately

In Game 5, your reaper was critical in scouting his Dark Templar tech.

Yeah, that's why it was made basically. It's reason for being was to scout. oGsHero told me to do this build when I asked him for advice on Blistering Sands, and while I asked many people for builds this was the one I liked the most. You 2 rax, pressure some see what hes doing, then fac and 3 rax or expo depending on what you see

You were very conservative in the late game, what were you thinking when you saw he didn't take a 3rd base and kept building an army?

It's very hard to find a good place to engage on Blistering, and I wasn't really sure where I stood in regards to army size as I'm not really used to this situation. I think taking a 3rd is pretty difficult for anyone on this map so I didn't think much of it, I just tried to find a favorable fight while delaying his 3rd as much as possible.

You celebrated with a lot of the oGs guys outside your booth. What did they say to you?

Congratulations, that they are proud of me, that they were really happy - just what you'd expect basically . I haven't really celebrated any wins until now, but I couldn't contain it this time.

ChoyafOu seems like a nice guy.

He is really nice. Before the games, he told me I look like his cousin and and that he liked me. His coach translated for him.

You play your teammate and friend oGsMC next. Did you check TL before the match to see MC's results? Did he say anything to you before your match?

Yeah I was keeping up via the live report . He didn't say anything special, just normal good lucks before the games.

Is there going to be any house tension now that you guys have to play each other?

Nah, I don't even think I will bother to use anything but my normal account - we all trust each other. It sucks that team kills happen but on the other hand, we have a 100% guaranteed player in the finals.

Are you guys going to practice with different teammates?

Yeah, I think we'll split things up a bit to avoid having the practice partners be put in difficult situations.

Who gets TheStc?

Hahaha, maybe we can roshambo it for him.

Ret told a story about you sleep talking about how impressive gorilla man was.

Well he is pretty impressive...

Have you adjusted your goals for this tournament now that you are in the semifinals? Will it be hard trying to beat a teammate?

Always one goal at a time, first round of 8, now round of 4. It will be hard but not because it's a teammate, but because he's the scariest Protoss in the world right now.

Did MC help you practice for Choya?

Yeah, but we only shared two maps so we mostly focused on our own practice. He gave me lots of advice though whenever I needed it.

You already secured quite a bit of prize money. Are you thinking about the prize money at all? Does this put more nerves or pressure on you?

Money doesn't feel real until paid for the most part, but yes, 9k vs 3k is a big difference - it does add to it.

Is there any established tradition at the oGs house when someone gets this far? Do you and MC buy chicken or pizza or something?

Pretty sure we will be buying a loooooot of chicken/pizza if we win. But yes, that is basically what happens - winners pay for this stuff =)

Did you see the Chinese nicknames for you? "Muscle man" and "Scandinavian Thor".

The Chinese nicknames are gosu. I wonder where muscle man comes from, I'm not exactly buff (yet! I have aspirations). Maybe compared to average progamer, I don't know.

Your beanie and facial hair are very intimidating.

Ah maybe that is why lol

We're enjoying these interviews every round. Hopefully we'll get another winners' one in a few days. Any last shoutouts?

Thanks to everyone who helped me prepare for this - oGsHero, oGsWant, oGsCarmel, oGsInca, oGsMC, oGsVINES, IMYongHwa, oGsTOP, oGsGon, oGsTheWind, LiquidHuk and LiquidNazgul. Thanks to TLAF and everyone supporting me and especially thanks to the people making those sick gorilla Terran posters ^^




Next: TLAF-Liquid`Jinro in the semifinals!

(T)TLAF-Liquid`Jinro is the last foreigner left in Season 3 of the GSL. Can Jinro be the first non-Korean to ever make a GSL Final? Tune into the Gomtv stream on Friday, Dec 10 10:00am GMT (GMT+00:00) for his semifinal match against his teammate (P)oGsMC.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Tippany
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States765 Posts
December 08 2010 03:53 GMT
#2
Jinro, you are the man. I wouldn't want any other foreigner to represent us to the Korean culture.
Real action, my dream.
Smoothie
Profile Joined July 2010
18 Posts
December 08 2010 03:54 GMT
#3
<3 <3 I never expected Jinro to be the one representing the foreigners
Wunder
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom2950 Posts
December 08 2010 03:56 GMT
#4
Jinro Hwaiting!~ You can beat MC, we believe in you!
Writer@joonjoewong
awesomoecalypse
Profile Joined August 2010
United States2235 Posts
December 08 2010 03:57 GMT
#5
I honestly could not be more stoked for Jinro vs. MC. They are probably my two favorite players at this point--both super solid, with excellent gamesense and really polished play. In a GSL/proscene where all too many T and P players do nothing but all-in, its great to have 2 players from those races who can both macro with the best of them and love the long game. Plus, they just seem like awesome dudes.

Whoever wins that match will IMO be a heavy favorite to take the finals. I don't think Rain is that good, and HongUn looks good but beatable--Jinro vs. MC could well end up being the real final in a way.
He drone drone drone. Me win. - ogsMC
CTStalker
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Canada9720 Posts
December 08 2010 03:57 GMT
#6
great job jinro! muscle man fighting!
By the way, my name is Funk. I am not of your world
oursblanc
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1450 Posts
December 08 2010 03:58 GMT
#7
So happy for you.
An oasis of horror in a desert of boredom!
Maskedsatyr
Profile Joined September 2010
Singapore1245 Posts
December 08 2010 03:59 GMT
#8
"Ret told a story about you sleep talking about how impressive gorilla man was.

Well he is pretty impressive..."

Haha awesome
"Don't believe in you who believes in me, don't believe in me who believes in you, believe in you...who believes in yourself!"
Nyx
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Rwanda460 Posts
December 08 2010 04:00 GMT
#9
I'm pretty sure I bit my entire fingernail off watching game 5.

Foreplay
Profile Joined May 2008
United States1154 Posts
December 08 2010 04:01 GMT
#10
i want jinro to win so bad. He looks like a such a baller in that booth.
Better than Pokebunny
SiguR
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada2039 Posts
December 08 2010 04:01 GMT
#11
Epic read. Scandinavian Thor.

Hell yes
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
December 08 2010 04:02 GMT
#12
Gorilla Terran fighting!
One of the only players left worth skipping studying for finals for.
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
CosmicHippo
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States547 Posts
December 08 2010 04:02 GMT
#13
ahh man, this is just badass stuff, jinro bringin hope to all foreigners
Yeah i've got your zerg riiiight here! *gulps beer*
Redmark
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2129 Posts
December 08 2010 04:04 GMT
#14
Game 3's recap got left unfinished (accidentally I assume).
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
December 08 2010 04:04 GMT
#15
JINRO FIGHTING!! BRING THE FINALS HOME TO US!
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
Oreo7
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1647 Posts
December 08 2010 04:07 GMT
#16
Jinro fighting! Best of luck in the round of four, its a win win!
Stork HerO and Protoss everywhere - redfive on bnet
LoLAdriankat
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4307 Posts
December 08 2010 04:08 GMT
#17
I will be telling my future grandchildren about the rise of Jinro.
voss
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia146 Posts
December 08 2010 04:09 GMT
#18
Yey Jinro!

I can't imagine how they are going to split up the practise partners in the L`oGs house.
Azzur
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia6267 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-08 04:14:25
December 08 2010 04:13 GMT
#19
Fighting!!

Remember Guillaume Patry (a.k.a xDsGrrr)? I remember him winning an OSL and at his height, was immensely popular with the koreans, with many fangirls swooning over him. Can Jinro follow in his footsteps?
BluePabs
Profile Joined November 2010
United States317 Posts
December 08 2010 04:16 GMT
#20
Congrats Jinro! Good luck against MC
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 17m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 655
UpATreeSC 122
JuggernautJason29
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19414
firebathero 190
Rush 134
Dewaltoss 88
Shine 24
Sexy 20
Bale 14
yabsab 11
Djem5 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7853
qojqva1425
monkeys_forever90
Counter-Strike
fl0m1562
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1858
crisheroes1251
Liquid`Hasu656
XaKoH 155
MindelVK8
Other Games
Grubby2992
FrodaN842
Beastyqt792
ceh9642
summit1g504
ArmadaUGS194
byalli161
KnowMe160
C9.Mang0149
Hui .145
QueenE96
Trikslyr64
Mew2King60
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream75
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 5
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 30
• 80smullet 11
• FirePhoenix11
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1729
League of Legends
• TFBlade1168
Other Games
• imaqtpie858
• Shiphtur243
• WagamamaTV239
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 17m
Stellar Fest
18h 17m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.