• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:03
CEST 18:03
KST 01:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8343 users

eSportS Covered in MainStream News (eSpn2)

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
tshi
Profile Joined September 2012
United States2495 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-28 08:47:32
April 28 2015 07:01 GMT
#1
I dont know if this was posted - I didn't see anything...

Welp, it's like esports is getting its 15min again on TV - this time it's about the coverage that eSpn2 did for the HotS tourney that DAY9/Tasteless/Artosis casted



This guy rips into the network and the games and nerds in general.

Hopefully this kind of coverage continues so that more people know that there are people who take video games seriously and are not being ironic when they say that they want to watch video game tournaments. This guy is probably getting so much hate mail right now that he must be like "THere are a lot of people on the internet, I guess".

I think it's up to the community as a whole (esports) to try to raise awareness to this guy's POV since it's probably the cultural standard in the realworld outside of the internet. A lot of companies cannot possibly know what they're missing out on - i think if this guy's ridiculous video gets more coverage, people will be incensed to do something about it.

Although, I guess there are a lot of trolls out there that will want to spin this and talk about how video games are really misogynist. It's like an opportunity for that to come up again - but still, if people talk more about this, it will get some kind of discussion going. I hope there are people who are ready to stand up and talk about esports is on a front-stage stage like ESPN or other real media.

Personally, I dont get how HotS got ESPN2 coverage while there are a bunch of bigger MOBA games out there. But oh well, it's something.

Discuss!
scrub - inexperienced player with relatively little skill and excessive arrogance
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-28 07:19:34
April 28 2015 07:09 GMT
#2
Colin Cowherd is a luddite and a douche nozzle. He's also just reaching for ratings cause he knows it'll rile up idiots. ESPN has been showing video games, MtG, paintball, etc. for over a decade. They had a whole show dedicated to Madden. It's the same thing people said when they first started covering WSOP, until they realized the WSOP was bringing in tons of viewers.

Also, he isn't particularly knowledgable about mainstream sports either. He's just an extremely skilled talker.

FWIW, Michelle Beadle (another host) enjoyed it.



Personally, I dont get how HON got ESPN2 coverage while there are a bunch of bigger MOBA games out there. But oh well, it's something.

Cause Blizzard paid $$$$$$.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
April 28 2015 07:09 GMT
#3
It's HotS, not HoN.

And I imagine it's getting coverage because Blizzard had something going to get the tournament shown on ESPN.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-28 07:21:24
April 28 2015 07:17 GMT
#4
Colin Cowherd is one of quite a few espn radio show hosts who basically get paid to complain about everything and say whatever the heck he wants. I wouldn't take him too seriously.

Blizzard has a deal with ESPN I think.

"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
Salazarz
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Korea (South)2591 Posts
April 28 2015 07:29 GMT
#5
idk I thought it was kind of funny
negativedge
Profile Joined December 2011
4279 Posts
April 28 2015 07:40 GMT
#6
I had no idea this happened
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-28 08:12:01
April 28 2015 07:51 GMT
#7
Haha I must admit, all those sound bites must sound so stupid if you don't avidly play video games.

Also keep in mind, people like Cowherd are paid to have opinions even on stuff they don't know or care about just to fill up LOTS of radio talking time every single day...
tshi
Profile Joined September 2012
United States2495 Posts
April 28 2015 07:52 GMT
#8
On April 28 2015 16:40 negativedge wrote:
I had no idea this happened

Which is kinda sad I guess.

If eSports ever wants to get into the realm of meatSports, it will have to start communicating with each sector to amass its resources into a bigger whole that can raise awareness for its events.

Another problem is that eSports is becoming more alike to the fighting game community which supports misogyny and match fixing. The latter happening recently with MKP. MeatSports personalities will deride on eSports athletes if we cant get things together.
scrub - inexperienced player with relatively little skill and excessive arrogance
negativedge
Profile Joined December 2011
4279 Posts
April 28 2015 07:58 GMT
#9
I agree wholeheartedly.

I mean, something is wrong if I didn't know this was on TV. I'm a sports guy. I'm an esports guy. I follow multiple games. If they don't have me, who do they have? There is no way in hell I would have missed tastosis on ESPN if I knew.

Anyway, Colin Cowherd is one of those endless sports radio blowhards who exist solely for you to hate them. He is worthless, and his job is worthless. He and his ilk are a blight on the sports world and no one who is serious about anything involving sports has ever listened to him.
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
April 28 2015 08:15 GMT
#10
Honestly who gives a shit.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Deleted User 26513
Profile Joined February 2007
2376 Posts
April 28 2015 08:24 GMT
#11
On April 28 2015 16:52 tshi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2015 16:40 negativedge wrote:
I had no idea this happened

Which is kinda sad I guess.

If eSports ever wants to get into the realm of meatSports, it will have to start communicating with each sector to amass its resources into a bigger whole that can raise awareness for its events.

Another problem is that eSports is becoming more alike to the fighting game community which supports misogyny and match fixing. The latter happening recently with MKP. MeatSports personalities will deride on eSports athletes if we cant get things together.

First try to fix your OP. Artosis/Day9/Tasteless never casted a HON tournament and HON was never on ESPN.

And second, when did "esports support misogyny and match-fixing" ?
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
April 28 2015 08:32 GMT
#12
On April 28 2015 16:58 negativedge wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly.

I mean, something is wrong if I didn't know this was on TV. I'm a sports guy. I'm an esports guy. I follow multiple games. If they don't have me, who do they have? There is no way in hell I would have missed tastosis on ESPN if I knew.

Anyway, Colin Cowherd is one of those endless sports radio blowhards who exist solely for you to hate them. He is worthless, and his job is worthless. He and his ilk are a blight on the sports world and no one who is serious about anything involving sports has ever listened to him.

Do you have twitter? I really think it's now the best (or easiest) way to get news (until we have some sort of EeSPN).
coverpunch
Profile Joined December 2011
United States2093 Posts
April 28 2015 08:44 GMT
#13
OP needs to be fixed. This isn't mainstream news, it's sports radio.

And it's one of those ironic things where the host is criticizing it but providing more attention by covering it at all. As they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity and this is getting worse treatment from other radio personalities who completely ignore it and won't mention it at all.

Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-28 08:51:36
April 28 2015 08:47 GMT
#14
Edited op to change to HotS

@people saying it isn't "news" its on the radio, but isn't the call in show shown on TV? Pretty sure its just a phone in tv show which is still better than being a youtube or skype show, so imo it still classifies as main stream tv?
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
Luiwtf
Profile Joined January 2011
England217 Posts
April 28 2015 09:40 GMT
#15
I've never understood why people on here want to even have eSports on TV. As HotD showed, TV only makes it worse than streaming due to having to have a worse UI, and stupid exclusivity deals where most of the world is locked out of watching the event (HotD was only aired in the US and Canada, for those with cable TV or however it works for them).

The argument that it will increase the viewer base meaning more money for prizes/better production etc doesn't really convince me, because even though they got some people watching that wouldn't have, how many of those will actually watch long term when they otherwise have no interest in video games? I can't imagine it would be that many, certainly not more than they'd lose from actual fans of the game due to issues like not being able to watch at all, or finding it annoying at the huge lack of information.

Then there's the fact that the actual target demographic of eSports is moving further and further away from actual TV, preferring downloading, TV on demand like Netflix/iPlayer etc on the internet more and more, and pretty much everyone who is interested in eSports already watches stuff on Twitch anyway (which is also now available on consoles afaik).

All this was IMO was Blizzard spending some money to advertise their new game, while annoying actual fans of the game by either not allowing a large portion of them outside the US/CA (or those without cable) to watch the tournament live (I think they're doing a rebroadcast on Twitch or something?) or having them watch a super low quality stream of it with a UI that lacked important information (imagine watching SC2 with no mini-map when there's action happening in multiple places on the map).

Personally I'd prefer it if eSports (the games I actually enjoy anyway :p) stayed away from TV, sticking with stuff like Twitch instead.
Elroi
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden5617 Posts
April 28 2015 10:14 GMT
#16
While he is an idiot, all publicity is good publicity.
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong. /watch?v=jfghAzJqAp0
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-28 10:17:43
April 28 2015 10:15 GMT
#17
Esports should start a campaign, turn of ad block or we will be on TV only with 15 minute commercials or behind a paywall. Though Events have enough downtimes so the commercials wouldn't matter.
But everything is reaching into streaming services, so I find it funny that Esport tries to jump on TV. Especially if the only way will be to abandon streaming. (TV wants viewers back not more switching)
I can understand it from a short sighted business standpoint though!
OuchyDathurts
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4588 Posts
April 28 2015 12:32 GMT
#18
On April 28 2015 19:15 FeyFey wrote:
Esports should start a campaign, turn of ad block or we will be on TV only with 15 minute commercials or behind a paywall. Though Events have enough downtimes so the commercials wouldn't matter.


So commit suicide? Seems smart =P

He's a sports shock jock, his job is to say retarded shit and stir the pot.

There's no need for esports to be on TV. It's cute, but the only purpose it serves is if you want to pat yourself on the back, if you need some sort of validation. "Look it's on TV! It's real guys!" As if TV makes something real. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows its real. We don't need TV to prove that, you don't need some quasi validation for one of your interests. If you enjoy watching esports that's all there is to it, be happy and enjoy that shit. You don't need a thumbs up from the cool kids club to tell you it's all right.

If anything TV is a step backwards. The world is moving this direction. Video games, esports, streaming, twitch has 4th highest traffic on the internet. Whether some blowhard likes it or not sooner or later all that shit is going to end up over here, it's inevitable.
LiquidDota Staff
PhoenixVoid
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Canada32755 Posts
April 28 2015 12:48 GMT
#19
Khaldor was once asked what he thought about e-sports being shown on TV on his stream and he said something along the lines of, "We don't need TV we already have Twitch" which I wholeheartedly agree with. The power that traditional TV still holds over advertising and viewership remains stronger than Twitch but there is no need to seek some form of legitimacy through e-sports being shown on TV. Twitch is the platform where e-sports will be fostered and find a receptive audience not ESPN. And as mainstream e-sports grows Twitch will only grow which is the trend currently, so why should they show a video game to an audience who probably don't like the type of game HotS is, let alone competitively?

As for Cowherd (his last name bwhaha) he sounds like a super sensationalist type on par with Bill O'Reilly except for sports. If he wants to criticize the tournament fine, but don't put down an entire community along with it.
I'm afraid of demented knife-wielding escaped lunatic libertarian zombie mutants
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
April 28 2015 12:55 GMT
#20
Gotta admit, we do sound nerdy xD.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 651
ComeBackTV 542
SteadfastSC427
Rex103
CosmosSc2 47
EnkiAlexander 41
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 427
ProTech145
Rex 103
CosmosSc2 47
UpATreeSC 44
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45087
Jaedong 1404
Hyuk 1156
Mini 677
Horang2 512
Soma 490
BeSt 480
Larva 321
Soulkey 314
Rush 283
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 282
ZerO 282
Snow 211
Last 203
hero 83
Liquid`Ret 56
Mind 55
Free 37
Killer 31
ToSsGirL 26
Terrorterran 23
sorry 22
Shine 21
yabsab 21
Rock 20
Trap 19
HiyA 17
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7888
qojqva1438
Dendi891
Counter-Strike
x6flipin1088
Fnx 835
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2558
Khaldor1934
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2939
singsing2016
B2W.Neo950
hiko779
byalli443
KnowMe129
Liquid`VortiX117
QueenE89
Mew2King76
Trikslyr40
Railgan16
ZerO(Twitch)13
Chillindude1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream111
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile124
• StrangeGG 23
• Adnapsc2 7
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2750
League of Legends
• Nemesis2025
• Jankos1122
• TFBlade737
Other Games
• Shiphtur314
• WagamamaTV261
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
17h 57m
OSC
20h 57m
Stellar Fest
20h 57m
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 20h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.