• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:03
CEST 21:03
KST 04:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8801 users

Interview with ASUS ROG champion San, featuring special gu…

Forum Index > SC2 General
73 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-04 23:38:05
February 04 2014 16:25 GMT
#1
2014 WCS

Bromance for the ASUS: San and TaeJa


In commemoration of (P)Yoe.San winning the first major title of his career at ASUS ROG Winter 2014 (videos and VODs here), we decided to hold a special championship interview featuring special guest (T)Liquid`TaeJa. Despite being on two different teams, the two players have maintained an unusual friendship outside of the booth, with TaeJa even wearing the [SanFan] clan tag during his championship run at ASUS ROG Summer '13.

We got the duo together for a short chat:


Congratulations on winning ASUS ROG Winter. You didn't seem to be completely taking it in right after you won. How do you feel now?



San: There were a lot of Koreans at the tournament as well as TaeJa, the Emperor of ASUS ROG, so I didn't have high expectations as I headed to the tournament. So when I ended up winning at the end, it didn't really hit me.

Looking at the Liquipedia tournaments page even now, it's strange to see my name in the 'Winner' column after only seeing it in the "Runner-Up" column. It would have been amazing if there was a trophy, so I'm a little sad about that T_T.

They still gave you a convenient, carry-on sized novelty check. Where are you going to put that?



San: I'll hang it up when I get home, but right now I'm at the mYi house so I've put it in the room where they have their other trophies. Right next to StarDust's.

TaeJa: Is it true that you're just going to throw it away when you get home? I'd like it if you only told the truth in interviews.

San: ROFL. Hush!

You used to have a habit of throwing important games, but at ASUS ROG Winter you were more dominant the deeper you got into the tournament. Did you figure out how to play well in live tournaments?



San: Thinking about it now, I think in the past I was facing a lot of pressure because I couldn't go to many tournaments, each one felt very important. Because of that, I couldn't play to 100% of my ability. But now that I know that even if I lose one tournament that there are more ahead, and because Yoe Flash Wolves sends me to tournaments, I can play comfortably like it's on ladder. My team has sent me to all the tournaments I wanted so far, and since I won a championship this time I think they'll continue to do so

When you were up 2-0 against Dear in the finals, did you think about the time you were up 2-0 against herO in the finals but got swept?



TaeJa:

San: Yes, it obviously came to mind, so I tried to control my mind to stay calm. I wasn't really that crushed then, I just thought "so, you can get swept 4-0 after taking two games." After seeing what herO has been able to do after that, I think that even taking two games off of him was alright.

Your PvP looked strong at ASUS ROG. Is it the match-up you're the most confident in lately? Or did the games just go well that weekend?



San: I played two PvP finals (vs. herO at IEM Singapore and vs. Squirtle at the Dailymotion Cup) in December, and I lost badly in both of them. It made me think that my PvP was really pathetic, so I studied the match-up a lot. Personally I think that while builds are important in PvP, the way you read the situation and react after both players have revealed their 'hands' is even more important, so I thought a lot about that.

My PvP was getting alright in January, but then I lost a lot while I was ladder 'cramming' for ASUS ROG, so I wasn't confident before the tournament. I realized a lot of things in my 3-0 loss to StarDust, so things went a lot better for me on the second day of the tournament.

Recent tournament results have people saying Protoss is OP. What do you two think?



San: Wow, you want to hear from the loathsome TaeJa?

TaeJa: . With current balance, it's impossible to lose if you play Protoss.

San: Hush. I judge balance looking at both tournament results and games on ladder. It's strange, but the strategies that don't work on ladder end up working well in tournaments.

For example, blink-stalker rushing off two bases, that's something Terrans are definitely good at stopping on ladder. But if you look at tournaments, they just can't seem to hold it off. I think that's why the TvP stats have tilted in Protoss' favor these days. As for ZvP, if we continue with no patch from here on out, I'm confident that we're going to end up in a similar situation to ZvP at the end of WoL. Right now ZvP is about half/half, Protoss is a little favored against Terran.

Speaking of strategies in tournaments, why do Zergs keep losing to your very predictable zealot pressure builds?



San: That's a mystery to me as well. They can stop it on ladder, so I don't understand why they can't stop it in tournaments. I do it very blatantly as well, so they should be able to win if they play to counter it directly. I think Zergs are losing to it because they're thinking too hard.

[image loading]
San stands with the ASUS ROG Winter top four.

TaeJa had a lot of fast GG's this tournament where he left after taking a tiny bit of damage. Could you give your irresolute dongseng some stern words?



San: TaeJa is someone with a broken mentality, it's unbelievable that he won eight tournaments with that kind of mindset. TaeJa, these $10,000 tournaments are what made you who you are. Just because $10,000 isn't even money to you now doesn't mean you should take these tournaments lightly Don't lose the hunger you had when you started.

TaeJa: It's still a lot of money;; The balance is just so bad right now that if you take damage early you can't win, and you're better off leaving and preparing for the next game.

San: LOL

You got a chance to see TaeJa, the $180,000 career winnings man, for the first time in a while. Did you finally get him to buy you a meal?



San: At last, I got him to buy me a meal at Pizza Hut~ It cost 50,000 won per pie.

Actually, TaeJa bought it because we bet on rock-paper-scissors, and he lost the bet.

TaeJa:

San: :D

TaeJa: Normally, the younger person isn't supposed to buy anything [Note: This is technically true in Korean culture], the hyung is supposed to buy, hehe.

San: Hush. Money is age.

TaeJa: Even if I make a lot of money now, San has better education so he'll be able to make more money in the long run, so he should buy me stuff now.

San: I dropped out of college, I've ruined my future.

TaeJa: You can always go back!

...Anyway... Which player came to you first after you won, asking you to buy everyone a treat?



San: Of course, StarDust, haha.

Some would say he was the true winner of the tournament, since he beat the winner AND the runner-up in the group stages.



San: ROFL. He said he used up all his strength in the group stages so he didn't have anything left for the brackets.

You said that you're in the mYi house now. Are you preparing for upcoming European tournaments? How was the house and meeting up with your old NSH teammate jjakji?



San: I'm staying here for about two weeks to compete in WCS Europe and at IEM Cologne.

The house is really nice, except jjakji's seat which is a mess. Actually I haven't been able to meet him yet since he hasn't got back from Brazil, but he should be here soon.

jjakji seemed really confident when we talked to him about being able to win WCS Europe. What do you think of that?



San: He has a 90% win rate on the European ladder, so I think it's totally okay for him to be that confident. I'm not even a Premier Leaguer yet, so I can't say anything T_T.

TaeJa: I don't think he will be able to win a championship as Terran.

San: Wanna bet?

You'll be playing elfi in your WCS Challenger match, a match between two Gods (one of San's nicknames is "God Cho-won").



San: He's a good player, so I predict a difficult match T_T.

A player not even TaeJa can beat.



San: LOL, that's really bad for me then...

TaeJa: G... God.

A player TaeJa lost to after dropping eleven manner mules. Can you take revenge for him?



San: If it's to get revenge for TaeJa, then I really...

...don't want to win, lol.

TaeJa: Then you don't want to reach Premier? In that case, forfeiting might not be a bad idea.

San: No, I will get revenge for you then.

A lot of other foreign players did well against Koreans at Assembly. For instance, TaeJa lost to SortOf and struggled against Serral...



San: Ahahahaha.

...and HerO dropped a series against Zanster as well. What did you think of the play of the foreigners?



San: Personally, I think you have to treat the skilled foreigners just like Korean players. Skill is one thing, but there's also much less information about them compared to us, so they have an advantage there. Koreans getting caught off guard + having their styles exposed can make for upsets. There's also some foreigners for whom beating Koreans isn't an upset.


Has the balance of power in your skype clique changed now that you have won ASUS ROG, and TaeJa was eliminated in the Ro16?



San: Once king, you're always the king.

TaeJa: No, it is said that the true king is humble, and never thinks that he is the king. That is, of course, San!

San: Shut up.

Let's wrap up with each of you giving each other a nice message to start the 2014 season.



TaeJa: Hmm, well I think 2014 will be San's year. I hope the rest of our skype group all get good results as well, and have a good 2014.

San: Right now Mvp is #1 with nine championships and TaeJa is #2 with eight, so I hope he breaks that record this year~ Oh, and PartinG has joined our group as well. I hope we can see him as often as we did before at foreign tournaments, and I hope everyone has a good year.


Interview: Waxangel.
Photos: SETT Finland
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Kosak
Profile Joined August 2013
Czech Republic193 Posts
February 04 2014 16:37 GMT
#2
awesome interview, always very lovely to see korean players having a really good and comfortable time while making such an interview because it makes it way more straight and honest
it's good to be the king
quannguyen
Profile Joined January 2012
Vietnam1390 Posts
February 04 2014 16:39 GMT
#3
ROFL this interview. Just pure gold =)

Nice to see San winning his first premier tournament, and Taeja keeping the balance whine strong as ever
Unlimited Warcraft Works and Super Starcraft Taisen ^^
Thalandros
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Netherlands1151 Posts
February 04 2014 16:40 GMT
#4
Always love these interviews, and they're so open, haha. TaeJa keeps getting more personality. Thanks :D
|| ''I think we have all experienced passion that is not in any sense reasonable.'' ||
Heartland
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Sweden24604 Posts
February 04 2014 16:40 GMT
#5
This was hilarious.
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
February 04 2014 16:40 GMT
#6
Hahaha this interview is so good, these two are so funny lol
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
ikmtgv
Profile Joined August 2012
United States24 Posts
February 04 2014 16:41 GMT
#7
LOL this was hilarious!
Jaedong | Destiny | Stephano | Innovation | HuK | Grubby | Flash | Polt | 일리예스 사토우리 |
Die4Ever
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17750 Posts
February 04 2014 16:42 GMT
#8
lol great interview
"Expert" mods4ever.com
comadiroma
Profile Joined June 2011
United States17 Posts
February 04 2014 16:44 GMT
#9
Cool interview. Love seeing these.
Doh!
YourGoodFriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2197 Posts
February 04 2014 16:44 GMT
#10
haha this interview is great haha if you want to get TaeJa to talk apparently just have San around. Also it sounds like their skype group is pretty tight which is really cool! GOGO San and TaeJa in 2014!
anonymous is the most famous author that anyone can be
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
February 04 2014 16:45 GMT
#11
You really feel that this interview was done by Wax in Korean. Great interview! Very funny and lovely.
Fusilero
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United Kingdom50293 Posts
February 04 2014 16:47 GMT
#12
A Skype clique with taeja, San and parting? I want in
Glorious SEA doto
StarGalaxy
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany744 Posts
February 04 2014 16:47 GMT
#13
haha san is a funny guy. Nice to see some personality from taeja.
Cj hero | Zest
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
February 04 2014 16:50 GMT
#14
Seriously, the first to figure out Elfi's game deserves a nobel prize in starcraft, if it exists.
KanoCoke
Profile Joined June 2011
Japan863 Posts
February 04 2014 16:51 GMT
#15
These guys man, these guys. lol
Will always cheer for: MMA Bomber Taeja Curious Life herO Zest
ZAiNs
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom6525 Posts
February 04 2014 16:52 GMT
#16
Wow, Parting joining [SanFan].
TriZ
Profile Joined September 2012
Belgium379 Posts
February 04 2014 16:52 GMT
#17
As far as I have read some interviews, this one really stands out!

I like the banter between Taeja and San, (almost?) just as interesting as the answers.

I was already a huge fan of Taeja and had noticed San but this has moved him up in my book by alot.

Hope he (and Taeja) do well this year!
Larkin
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United Kingdom7161 Posts
February 04 2014 16:57 GMT
#18
So cute.
https://www.twitch.tv/ttalarkin - streams random stuff, high level teamleague, maybe even heroleague
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
February 04 2014 17:01 GMT
#19
probably the best interview i've read yet :D
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
February 04 2014 17:02 GMT
#20
If there is an interview Hall of Fame, this belongs there.
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 751
SteadfastSC546
EnkiAlexander 76
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 546
UpATreeSC 113
JuggernautJason59
BRAT_OK 57
PtitDrogo 40
MindelVK 16
ZombieGrub4
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 29924
Soulkey 307
Dewaltoss 130
Mini 80
Trap 31
ToSsGirL 25
Shine 19
NotJumperer 4
Dota 2
Dendi993
qojqva811
Counter-Strike
fl0m1398
Fnx 725
shoxiejesuss694
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King111
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2778
Khaldor2072
Liquid`Hasu778
Other Games
Grubby2887
ArmadaUGS1146
B2W.Neo603
ceh9520
byalli466
C9.Mang0168
Pyrionflax86
Chillindude82
Trikslyr55
Railgan21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream82
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 5
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki50
• blackmanpl 31
• 80smullet 15
• FirePhoenix13
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1153
Other Games
• imaqtpie1079
• Scarra614
• Shiphtur315
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
14h 57m
OSC
17h 57m
Stellar Fest
17h 57m
OSC
1d 4h
Stellar Fest
1d 17h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.