• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:37
CEST 21:37
KST 04:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9108 users

[LP] New Brackets and Old Tournaments

Forum Index > News
59 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 Next All

[LP] New Brackets and Old Tournaments

Text byPholon
Graphics bydisciple & zodasoda
September 26th, 2011 17:59 GMT
[image loading]

Liquipedia Review #20




Hey everyone!

Exciting stuff today as we finish up a project that took us nearly two weeks to finish while launching a project that will take much longer!



[image loading]

Anyone who isn't into coding or programming would probably follow up looking at the inside of a Liquipedia page and with wondering what demon this language would summon from the depths of some forbidden inferno if spoken.

<includeonly>{| border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 style="font-size: 90%;
margin:1em 2em 1em 1em;"
| align="center" colspan="2" style="border:1px solid #aaa;"
bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD1|Round 1}}}| colspan=2|
| style="border-width:0 1px 0 0; border-style:solid;border-color:black;"|
| rowspan=2 style="border:1px solid;" bgcolor="{{RaceColor|{{{R2D1race|}}}}}"|
&nbsp;{{flag|{{{R2D1|}}}}}&nbsp;{{{R2D1|R2D1}}}
| rowspan=2 align=center style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f9f9f9|

Holy shit!


When we started out building Liquipedia, we were just like that. At heart, our founding fathers were StarCraft loving nerd ballers who wanted to write about their game, and I can only imagine how daunting it must have been to take the first steps. We've been more than lucky to have coding masters like R1CH and MoC to hold our hands while we tread into these unknown lands and, fortunately, one quickly finds that the coding for basic formatting is easily understood and reproduced.

The bit of code above is from a bracket. For most of the editors among us, building Additional Pylons is something we're good at, while building a full-fledged 32 Player Single Elimination Bracket is a completely different story. In the beginning we managed by takingborrowing our big brother Wikipedia's brackets.

They didn't quite meet our StarCraft related demands though. After some tinkering and adjusting, the brackets on Liquipedia became linked to TLPD. And surely you are all familiar with our brackets being colour coded to represent the races of the players.

Yeah, we managed. Until MLG came along. Their beastly tournament format wasn't understood by a whole lot of people, let alone understood well enough to be able to give it a shape and form. Nonetheless, it had to happen. If Liquipedia wanted to be the premier resource of StarCraft related information it had better be able to report on the premier StarCraft competition in the USA.

It took us a good while, delving into countless lines of code, trying to piece together MLG's system which combines Round Robin, Single Elimination, KOTH and a Losers' Bracket all in a single format. After many hours of puzzling and toiling, the monstrous (Wiki)MLG Bracket is still something I personally see as one of our greatest achievements.

The next challenge came when MLG added their 4 Korean invites to their system, prompting massive changes to LP bracket's coding, and shortly afterwards we challenged ourselves by running TSL3's Bracket Contest. From that time onwards, we have been learning more and more, building several additional brackets to serve our StarCraft needs. Eventually, we made the decision...
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



[image loading]

Last week we decided to completely revamp our bracket section. We've tried to create some uniformity in how brackets look, how they work and their functionalities. Not only do cells still color green, blue, or red for Protoss, Terran or Zerg, we've also added Random (orange) and BYE (grey). Users can add flags easily, bold the winners, add a 3rd place match, link players to their own Liquipedia pages, and add Team Logos. All brackets have proper documentation explaining how everything works and on top of that we have a fine array of formats: Single Elimination, Losers' Brackets, and Double Elimination from 2 all the way up to 64 players.

Click HERE to view all the brackets.


Most importantly though: making brackets for your tournament page has become flipping easy.

Let's do a brief example run. Suppose your tournament has 4 invites and they play in a Single Elimination format. Your bracket of choice is the (Wiki)4SEBracket. On it's page is a simple copy/pastable bit of code.

{{4SEBracket
|R1D1=|R1D1score=|R1D1race=
|R1D2=|R1D2score=|R1D2race=
|R1D3=|R1D3score=|R1D3race=
|R1D4=|R1D4score=|R1D4race=

|R2W1=|R2W1score=|R2W1race=
|R2W2=|R2W2score=|R2W2race=
}}


Filling this out simply yields:

[image loading]

I can even add in flags and bold the winners, to give some more aesthetic appeal.

[image loading]

On top of that, I can add a 3rd place match and customize the Round Title cells.

[image loading]

It took us a week of hard work, and I do like to shoutout everyone who helped, but but the result is certainly rewarding. We'll start promoting the use of this new batch as we continue to make Liquipedia's coverage of tournaments even better. Lastly, should you have any thoughts or advice on how to make these brackets even better, feel free to let us know by contacting someone on the Liquipedia staff.



[image loading]

If Liquipedia 2 has taught us anything, it's that tournament coverage is one of the strongest points of the Wikipedia. Unlike an R&S kept by one person, anyone can keep a wiki up-to-date. Unlike TLPD, wiki has visuals to explain the format and matches and their VODs can be orchestrated around that. Unlike having to search for TL's newsposts on the league, the wiki can link them all centrally. And on top of that, the wiki always has room for improvement - be it adding in the Music Score used for the Stout MSL, documenting all the team line-ups through a seaon of proleague, or recommending excellent games that wrote history - the wiki has a place for it.

In this light, it pains me to say that Liquipedia is lagging severely behind. Of the (Wiki)GOMTV Classic Starleagues, only the first invitational is half recorded and of the (Wiki)MSL many of the links actually go to TLPD entries, not Liquipedia pages.

We've therefore started to make an effort to chronicle these legendary tournaments that dawned the eras of Boxer, Oov, Nal_Ra, NaDa and their contemporaries. Last week I finished working on the recent (Wiki)2011 STX Cup Masters and have now started on (Wiki)2009 Gyeongnam STX Cup Masters. Corumjhaelen has started on the MSL side of things and, after we finished up (Wiki)2003 Stout MSL have now start on the (Wiki)2003 TriGem MSL. Additionally, shoutouts to Hyde and blahz0r for contributing to the (Wiki)Kaal's International StarLeague/Bracket article.

I truly believe that Liquipedia can be the greatest resource when it comes to recording these leagues. No more piecing together of the old live report threads and news articles. No more endless searching for VODs before having to try and figure which game was played when.

However, we need help. It's a lot of work trying to find the info, piecing it together, and copying it down into the right place. I'm promoting it here because after experiencing the immense value tournament articles have added to Liquipedia 2, I've become fully convinced it is a section that can flourish on its predecessor as well. In this light, we've also posted a recruitement post to find people motivated to work on this project. Contact me or anyone else on staff if you'd like to help out (there's coins to be had! kekeke) so that you, too, can contribute to ESPORTS. For posterity!


Happy editing!

- Liquipedia staff



Useful Liquipedia Links:
Liquipedia Feedback Thread
PM a Liquipedia Staff Member: Aesop, Pholon, Imperator, Noam, Flicky, salle, tofucake, ZodaSoda
#Liquipedia IRC on Quakenet.

Facebook Twitter Reddit
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
fusefuse
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Estonia4644 Posts
September 26 2011 18:11 GMT
#2
holy shit that is handy!

kudos to everyone involved in zis project!
makes it sooo much easier

time to get back editing hehe
Liquipedia@jkursk
pPingu
Profile Joined September 2011
Switzerland2892 Posts
September 26 2011 18:13 GMT
#3
I suppose that's why liquipedia has been a bit fcked up this afternoon?

Great changes, it will be easier now to edit
Complete
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1864 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-26 18:28:11
September 26 2011 18:14 GMT
#4
Awesome, I'm getting a bit of knowledge about this coding stuff in school this year, might try and find somewhere I can help out!

Edit: PM me if anybody has an idea of where I could start.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
September 26 2011 18:19 GMT
#5
Lovely new brackets. I prefer them a lot more tbh. Much easier to follow.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Otolia
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
France5805 Posts
September 26 2011 18:20 GMT
#6
Proud to be a part of that.
Atoissen
Profile Joined July 2011
Norway1737 Posts
September 26 2011 18:23 GMT
#7
You guys truely are nerd baller heroes! <3

Great work, and know that I and many others realy appreciate the hard work you guys put into this! You guys make this game so much better. Thank you!
“Strength lies not in defense but in attack.”
RoninShogun
Profile Joined November 2010
United States315 Posts
September 26 2011 18:31 GMT
#8
That is pretty cool, it makes the actual bracket a lot closer to the representation you use for pool play, which is pretty self-explanatory
Artosis: Yeah I was gonna probe rush but someone did that yesterday
myzael
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Poland605 Posts
September 26 2011 18:36 GMT
#9
I HATE Liquipedia. Most of the times I try to be nice and edit in a result of a just finished game, it's already there. Damn.

Seriously though, I find myself clicking on LR threads only to go to liquipedia a second afterwards.

BTW, what about brackets of >64 players. I know the trend of braking these up into several smaller ones, but could one extend the template by oneself if one wanted to create a consolidated 128-man bracket? (Yes, I am too lazy to check it myself)
FinnGamer
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany2426 Posts
September 26 2011 18:41 GMT
#10
Awesome New Brackets, will try to contribute stuff
"hopefully swing the favor in your advantage." - Day[9]
gentix
Profile Joined July 2011
United States40 Posts
September 26 2011 18:46 GMT
#11
This is great. I usually don't notice this stuff, but I have noticed how nice and clean brackets look on liquipedia. The flags and race colors are excellent. Thanks for your work!
"Paper is so OP! Scissors is fine though." ~Rock
VirgilSC2
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States6151 Posts
September 26 2011 19:05 GMT
#12
I think I can speak for everyone when I say "Oooooh pretty colors"
Clarity Gaming #1 Fan | Avid MTG Grinder | @VirgilSC2
Fuhrmaaj
Profile Joined January 2011
167 Posts
September 26 2011 19:21 GMT
#13
I'm not sure if you'll see this or not, but there's something that's been frustrating me and I'm not sure how to change it. When you go to Liquipedia 2 and type "GSL" in the search box, the Global Starcraft II League comes up.

Looks like this: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/GSL

So far so good. The only thing is, I check this page almost daily so I can see the brackets and they are nowhere to be found in the tabs at the top. The only way I know to find it (other than being more specific in the search bar) is to scroll down to GSL events and click on the event you want to see. There used to be a series of bars across the top which let you simply choose your event and navigate to previous events so you can compare progress.

I personally preferred the old system with the tabs at the top for each event, but I recognize that more events makes the bar at the top more awkward. Perhaps you could divide the events by year (choose 2010, 2011 or w/e), then each event in the year below it.

I don't know if this is an unwieldy or unpopular request, but it's something I'd like to have back.

Random player
Aesop
Profile Joined October 2007
Hungary11305 Posts
September 26 2011 19:28 GMT
#14
On September 27 2011 04:21 Fuhrmaaj wrote:
I'm not sure if you'll see this or not, but there's something that's been frustrating me and I'm not sure how to change it. When you go to Liquipedia 2 and type "GSL" in the search box, the Global Starcraft II League comes up.

Looks like this: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/GSL

So far so good. The only thing is, I check this page almost daily so I can see the brackets and they are nowhere to be found in the tabs at the top. The only way I know to find it (other than being more specific in the search bar) is to scroll down to GSL events and click on the event you want to see. There used to be a series of bars across the top which let you simply choose your event and navigate to previous events so you can compare progress.

I personally preferred the old system with the tabs at the top for each event, but I recognize that more events makes the bar at the top more awkward. Perhaps you could divide the events by year (choose 2010, 2011 or w/e), then each event in the year below it.

I don't know if this is an unwieldy or unpopular request, but it's something I'd like to have back.


There is a "GOMTV Leagues and Events" bar on top which you can unfold. It leads to all events.

If you are just looking for results, maybe http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Recent_Tournament_Results is for you.
ModeratorNon veritas sed auctoritas facit legem. | Liquipedia: Don't ask me, I'm retired.
disco
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Netherlands1667 Posts
September 26 2011 19:33 GMT
#15
Liquipedia II is the single most awesome thing since Liquipedia.

Admire everyone's hard work on it!
this game is a fucking jokie
salle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Sweden5554 Posts
September 26 2011 19:38 GMT
#16
On September 27 2011 03:36 myzael wrote:
[...]BTW, what about brackets of >64 players. I know the trend of braking these up into several smaller ones, but could one extend the template by oneself if one wanted to create a consolidated 128-man bracket? (Yes, I am too lazy to check it myself)


The issues with brackets for more than 32 players is that they're too big. if you have a 128 player bracket when you get to the quarter finals there are then 32 rows between each of the matches and the semis are 64 rows apart. This doesn't look too good on a computer screen, as you have to scroll a lot in the later, and more important, stages. So this is currently the best compromise we've found to the problem, but we would of course readily accept a better solution if some one could make one.
Administrator"Ambitious but rubbish!" - Jeremy Clarkson
Wren
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States745 Posts
September 26 2011 20:01 GMT
#17
On September 27 2011 03:11 fusefuse wrote:
holy shit that is handy!

No kidding!

LP is a fantastic project, my constant admiration to the admins who keep all the pieces moving together!
We're here! We're queer! We don't want any more bears!
Senx
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Sweden5901 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-26 20:08:19
September 26 2011 20:06 GMT
#18
When following an MLG tournament I dont actually use any of MLGs resources, I go directly to liquipedia because I know that is actually updated faster and more reliable than MLGs own live coverage.

I think that says alot about how fucking good liquipedia is.
"trash micro but win - its marine" MC commentary during HSC 4
Wolf
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Korea (South)3290 Posts
September 26 2011 20:29 GMT
#19
I love Liquipedia. I'm glad TL is pushing for more people to get involved.
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/proxywolf
TL+ Member
Baituri
Profile Joined June 2010
Netherlands1501 Posts
September 26 2011 20:55 GMT
#20
The only problem I have with Liquipedia - which is a good thing - is that when I try to add something. It is already done. Will keep trying to help if I see something. And keep up the good work at all the guys who are helping Liquipedia grow. They need some love!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 657
JuggernautJason54
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16992
Rush 123
Dewaltoss 112
Sexy 29
Bale 11
Dota 2
qojqva2106
monkeys_forever220
Counter-Strike
fl0m1433
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1928
crisheroes1163
Liquid`Hasu853
Other Games
summit1g4358
Grubby3604
FrodaN713
Beastyqt650
shahzam405
byalli244
ArmadaUGS175
C9.Mang0163
KnowMe161
UpATreeSC112
Mew2King72
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV204
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream113
StarCraft 2
angryscii 24
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 27
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie893
• WagamamaTV270
• Shiphtur250
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 23m
Stellar Fest
17h 23m
OSC
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 14h
Online Event
1d 15h
FEL
1d 20h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.