• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:42
CEST 20:42
KST 03:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9227 users

The Liquid Weekly #28

Forum Index > News
35 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All

The Liquid Weekly #28

Text byriptide
Graphics byKennigit
February 18th, 2011 13:00 GMT

Ret macro, Ret win.

[image loading]
Quick Links

Liquid` Sightings

Ret Macro
Ret Win.

Ling Operator
TLO Esq.

This Week In Replays


Ret wins Assembly Winter 2011 - Event Finished


In a a weekend of non stop Starcraft 2, our Flying Dutchman dutifully dispatched all in his path to take the Assembly Winter 2011 title. Or as #teamliquid elegantly put it, Ret macro, Ret win. [More]


Liquid in GSL - 21st February 2011 onwards


Friends, fans, Team Liquidians, it's GSL time! Starting next Monday, our heroes will head out once again one by one to test themselves against Korea's best. While HuK plays Monday, HayprO plays Wednesday and Jinro plays Thursday, Ret will only take to the tilesets on the 28th. [More]


HayprO in FX Open Invitational Series, Tomorrow, 19th February 2011


After finishing 4th in the Pokeridol.com Championship last month, TLAF-Liquid`HayprO has been back in Korea preparing for the GSL. Now, he's here playing in the FXOpen just days before he goes up against the best of Korea. Be with us here as we root for him on stream! [More]


Liquid in GosuCoaching Premiere League Week 6 - Finished


Liquid dropped another match in the GCPL this week to end up with a 4 - 2 record. Having comfortably held on to 1st and 2nd place during the opening weeks of the GCPL, they now go into the final week of group stage play with their playoff spot on the line as well. [More]


[image loading]back to top


Ret wins Assembly Winter 2011 - Event Finished


[image loading]

In a a weekend of non stop Starcraft 2, our Flying Dutchman dutifully dispatched all in his path to take the Assembly Winter 2011 title. Or as #teamliquid elegantly put it, Ret macro, Ret win.

Ret looked to be in top form during Assembly, and we're sure that this will carry through into his GSL Code A games. While Jos has been in Korea for months now, he hasn't had many opportunities to play outside the GSL, and we're really glad that we saw him against Europe's best in Helsinki. Here's to many months of macro madness for our son of the swarm!


Liquid in GSL - 21st February 2011 onwards


[image loading]

Friends, fans, Team Liquidians, it's GSL time! Starting next Monday, our heroes will head out once again one by one to test themselves against Korea's best. While HuK plays Monday, HayprO plays Wednesday and Jinro plays Thursday, Ret will only take to the tilesets on the 28th.

While HayprO and Ret will be looking to make amends for their early eliminations last season, HuK will also be keen to go far in his first ever GSL. The three Liquidians will start off in the Code A Ro32 both this week and next week (Ret).

Jinro on the other hand will resume his bid for a GSL title in the Code S Ro32 against PoltPrime. He look forward to seeing our Terran destroyer dispatch him quickly and efficiently, and move through to the Ro16 as usual.

For those of you who are still confused, here's a quick recap of Liquid's GSL S2 bid.

Monday 21st February 2011
TLAF-Liquid`Huk vs ST_Curious

Wednesday 23rd February 2011
TLAF-Liquid`HayprO vs Ganzi

Thursday 24th February 2011
TLAF-Liquid`Jinro vs PoltPrime

Monday 28th February 2011
TLAF-Liquid`Ret vs SlayerS_Jjob

Well, there you go. Now you have absolutely no excuse to miss these matches. See you all on stream, in the LR threads and on IRC. Liquid fighting!


HayprO in FX Open Invitational Series, Tomorrow, 19th February 2011


[image loading]

After finishing 4th in the Pokeridol.com Championship last month, TLAF-Liquid`HayprO has been back in Korea preparing for the GSL. Now, he's here playing in the FXOpen just days before he goes up against the best of Korea. Be with us here as we root for him on stream!

The tournament begins in just a few hours, so make sure you're here and ready for a pre-GSL preview of our Swedish Zerg. HayprO fighting!


Liquid in GosuCoaching Premiere League Week 6 - Finished


[image loading]

Liquid dropped another match in the GCPL this week to end up with a 4 - 2 record. Having comfortably held on to 1st and 2nd place during the opening weeks of the GCPL, they now go into the final week of group stage play with their playoff spot on the line as well.

Will Liquid rally and battle their way into the Top 4? We think so! Watch the GCPL thread for the Week 7 schedule and be sure to be here with us as our home team takes on the rest! Gogo Liquid!


HuK vs TLO in Four Weeks of Fury


TLAF-Liquid`TLO played his teammate TLAF-Liquid`HuK in the Four Weeks of Fury Liquid Grudgematch this week. Missed the games? Want VODs? Here you go!

+ Show Spoiler [VODs] +
+ Show Spoiler [Game 1] +

+ Show Spoiler [Game 2] +

+ Show Spoiler [Game 3] +

+ Show Spoiler [Game 4] +

+ Show Spoiler [Game 5] +

+ Show Spoiler [Game 6] +

+ Show Spoiler [Game 7] +


[image loading]back to top
[image loading]


[image loading]
Ret want all the pillows. That just how Ret plays, OK?

Picture via SK Gaming.


Hi Jos! Congratulations on a stellar weekend and welcome back to the Liquid Weekly.

Thanks a lot, I am especially proud of the latter.


Let's back a bit though. After not performing as expected in GSL Code A, we didn't see you for nearly a month. What went on in Retland during this time?


I took some time off playing more team games and some UMS and then I practised occasionally with the people who were in GSL. Like when Jinro had to play IdrA or when IdrA had to get ready for Check I would play with him, but all in all it's been a pretty slow month. The motivation wasn't really there to practice a lot, especially with nothing to play in after getting eliminated from GSL.


What was your attitude going into Assembly? It's the first time you've been out of Incheon in a while. Were you expecting to win?

I wasn't really sure what to expect from European players. The only thing I knew before hand was that if I were to play HuK it would be a tough match. Everything else was a big question mark to me, but when I played some European ladder games from home during the lead up to Assembly, I was already able to tell that it might be a good tournament for me.


Why? What had changed on your end over your time in Korea?

I just felt like the European ladder games were fairly easy compared to what I was used to from the Korean ladder. Certain impossible scenarios all of a sudden seemed possible again, and I think I even won some ZvTs on Steppes and Metal/LT close pos, something that would perhaps 1 out of 10 games on the Korean ladder. ZvP seemed fairly easy as well. European players just don't really know how to abuse timings vs Zerg yet, it seems. As for being in Korea, I just got better at the game, learned the specific usage of all the units better and got more familiar with common situations in games. It's a combination of being in Korea where the competition is the toughest, and also just playing the game more as I really haven't been playing all that long.


Going into Assembly, was there anyone particular you wanted to / didn't want to face?

I was most worried about HuK before the tournament, and of course we all want to avoid team mates so I didn't really want to play Tyler or TLO either. Other than that there wasn't really anyone I was too worried about, although I really didn't know what to expect from players like Strelok, Kas or SjoW. I went into the tournament with an open mind and just wanted to play to the best of my abilities and see where it would take me.


Did all your matches go as planned or did you encounter something you didn't expect at some point? What was your favourite series of the LAN?

All of my games went pretty smooth, except the first game vs Pomi. It had been a really long time since I played vs a 3 gate expand -> robo fast chrono'ed collosus build and by the time I realized what was going on it was too late to come up with a response. During the game I wasn't sure why exactly I was losing so badly so I started having some doubts but when I watched the rep and assessed the situation I realised that he had made almost no ground units and got a really fast 3 collosus timing attack out, so I was able to regain some confidence. But of course being down 0-1 is never a pleasant feeling, then there was the regame situation in a game I felt I could never lose so at that moment in time I was definitely a little worried. But the favourite series will have to go to me vs Naniwa. I think it's awesome that someone would be so scared of me that they would cheese that hardcore...twice in a row, when he may have had a very good shot at beating me if he had just played a macro game.


Speaking of which, that hatchery in his natural - you were just taking your third, right?

Yep, I needed a 3rd base and was too lazy to kill the rocks. Nah, but seriously because of the showmatch me and Nani played before I left to Korea and the little back and forth teasing that went on there I just felt like it was the right thing to do at the time. It's all in good fun.


Let's talk about Zerg a bit. With new maps coming for the GSL, how do you put race's chances in the months to come? What difficulties did you face as a macro player so far and how much do you think new maps will help you out?

I haven't had a chance to play the new maps so I can't really comment on them, I did hear that they are very hard for Zerg vs Protoss though so I don't really know. I still feel like Zerg is the weakest race, and I don't really expect much to change with these new maps except that ZvT might be more manageable on them because the maps are a lot bigger and that helps a lot vs Terran.

So perhaps we will see more Zerg players knocking out Terrans and Protoss do better overall, because large maps also help them vs Terran.

Big maps are going to make ZvT balance better, but ZvP it's hard too because on large maps you are never going to have creep anywhere which means any attack into forcefields and defensive Protoss setups will be very ineffective/ I will have to experiment with things like drop and nydus to overcome this problem but I think that we will see a lot of ZvP games go to 200/200 vs 200/200, where Zerg is at a disadvantage.


Let's look to the GSL. What have you learned from your run so far and how will you approach this next GSL season?

I play in about 1 week, so I'm just going to play as much ZvT as I can for my first round opponent. He is one of the best players in Code A so I will have my work cut out for me, my only concern right now is the first round and I will take it from there if I make it past it.


You have a huge fan following here on TL. Do fan comments ever motivate you or help you along as you prepare? How avidly do you read your own fanclub thread?

Hehe I check up on it every once in a while, I hope I do better in the coming months than I have in the last few, because it's obviously more fun to read your fanclub thread if you put up good results. It's always nice to be reminded that people appreciate the way you play the game and what you are doing though, so it helps motivate me Thanks to the people who post in there and send me msges on fb and stuff like that! <3



Finally, please comment on this detailed breakdown of your play at Assembly - Ret macro, Ret win. High level analysis? Ret approve?

I'm going to slightly modify MC's godly comment after one of his GSL matches into : me drone drone drone! me win! ^_^ So yeah, I approve.


Yay! Good luck for the GSL, Ret, and hope to see you in the finals very soon!

Thanks a lot.





[image loading]back to top

&#91;image loading&#93;

Blamous and Stargirl cast the action between TheLingOperator and MYMSase on Blistering Sands!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0pagv4xW7M



[image loading]back to top


This week on TWIR we feature TLO, HayprO, HuK with exciting matchups including Huk vs Dimaga, Huk vs Pomi and Haypro vs Minigun. Also inside, some sick Infestor ZvZ action by HayprO!

[image loading]

Download TLO, HayprO, HuK Ladder Replay Pack






Liquid` is proudly sponsored by The Little App Factory, makers of fine applications for Windows and Mac OS X and fans of great Starcraft! Their flagship program, iRip allows you to recover your music from iPods - a life saver if you, like many of us, do tech support for friends and family. In fact, for a limited time, you can use the coupon code TEAMLIQUID to get 25% off when you get TLAF products!

This week, check out TLAF's music organisation app Tagalicious, which was recently released on the Mac App Store.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorSKT T1 | Masters of the Universe
gogogadgetflow
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2583 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-18 18:19:22
February 18 2011 13:06 GMT
#2
Awesome I was looking for something to read :D

omg "graaaadulations TLO - u win a new highscore!" SooOOOooo cute
johlar
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden165 Posts
February 18 2011 13:12 GMT
#3
Go own GSL ^.^
kusu
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden440 Posts
February 18 2011 13:13 GMT
#4
On February 18 2011 22:06 gogogadgetflow wrote:
Awesome I was looking for something to read :D


Yeah me too !

Thanks so much.
Expa bör man annars dör man! A game withouth me, is a game not worth winning!
IAttackYou
Profile Joined August 2010
United States330 Posts
February 18 2011 13:14 GMT
#5
Great coverage as always. But I think MC said,"You drone drone drone, me attack, me win!" Awesome interviews and best of luck to all foreigners and oGs for next GSL XD
I'm not a nub, I'm gosu of tomorrow
cHicKeLoR
Profile Joined October 2008
Germany559 Posts
February 18 2011 13:16 GMT
#6
nice interview with ret. and gl to all tl guys @ gsl
vyyye
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden3917 Posts
February 18 2011 13:16 GMT
#7
"You were just taking your third.. right?"

People were actually arguing that that was the case in the LR thread, if I recall correctly, haha.
ticktack
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United Arab Emirates874 Posts
February 18 2011 13:20 GMT
#8
Great! Looking forward to the watching the Liquid Guys in GSL!
A winner is just a loser who got pissed off and tried harder
Bluedraqy
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark496 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-18 13:27:09
February 18 2011 13:26 GMT
#9
As far as I know, the 27th of February, is NOT a monday :b
But overall a very good writeup, gonna download the replay packs now.
FlashIsHigh
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States474 Posts
February 18 2011 13:39 GMT
#10
On February 18 2011 22:26 Bluedraqy wrote:
As far as I know, the 27th of February, is NOT a monday :b
But overall a very good writeup, gonna download the replay packs now.


Im pretty sure the GSL kicks off on Monday 2-21-11, GL to TL in the GSL lol
KT Flash// WhiteRa/Scarlett/Naniwa/MC/Huk/Nony
Tschis
Profile Joined November 2010
Brazil1511 Posts
February 18 2011 13:50 GMT
#11
Af, no news about TLO this time :{

But at least Ret got that first place! Congratz :}

//tx
"A coward is not someone that runs from a battle knowing he will lose. A coward is someone who challenges a weak knowing he will win."
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-18 14:25:54
February 18 2011 14:23 GMT
#12
HayprO in FX Open Invitational Series, Today, 19th February 2011


I will be watching this one closely.

Looking at the brackets, shesh. Good luck Hayder. That's a pretty decent talent pool.
Pondo
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia283 Posts
February 18 2011 14:24 GMT
#13
"me drone drone drone! me win! ^_^"

Hahaha! So much win!
Geo.Rion
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
7377 Posts
February 18 2011 14:40 GMT
#14
i was so sad after Haypro lost that ZvP on Metalo, he dominated the game pretty much
"Protoss is a joke" Liquid`Jinro Okt.1. 2011
Crais
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2136 Posts
February 18 2011 15:12 GMT
#15
I <3 these.

Thanks!
RIP MBC Game Hero
legendre20
Profile Joined November 2010
United States316 Posts
February 18 2011 15:19 GMT
#16
Great write up as usual!! Was really great to see Ret win Assembly, and it was awesome to watch all of the games! Keep it up Ret, hope you do well in GSL ^_^!
"Sen, lings are OP" - HelloKittySS /// <3 http://www.twitch.tv/legendre20 <3
plainsane
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany98 Posts
February 18 2011 15:20 GMT
#17
Are there any VoDs or maybe a replaypack from the Assembly Tourney?
I'm going, i'm going!
Xxio
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada5565 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-18 15:21:47
February 18 2011 15:21 GMT
#18
Ret macro, Ret win. That's it. That's all.

I am very curious to see ZvP on the new maps now though. NesTea said they would be problematic and now Ret hears that as well. Hmm.
KTY
EchoZ
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Japan5041 Posts
February 18 2011 15:23 GMT
#19
Thanks for the writeup! Can't wait for HuK's match.
Dear Sixsmith...
qwaykee
Profile Joined February 2010
Norway268 Posts
February 18 2011 15:31 GMT
#20
haypro fightiiiing!!!!!
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 655
UpATreeSC 122
JuggernautJason27
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19828
firebathero 200
Rush 139
Dewaltoss 85
Trap 25
Shine 22
Sexy 19
Bale 13
yabsab 9
Djem5 3
Dota 2
Gorgc7853
qojqva1425
monkeys_forever91
Counter-Strike
fl0m1538
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1858
crisheroes1251
Liquid`Hasu656
XaKoH 165
MindelVK10
Other Games
Grubby2992
FrodaN842
ceh9717
Beastyqt669
summit1g504
ArmadaUGS198
KnowMe167
byalli163
C9.Mang0158
Hui .143
QueenE105
Trikslyr64
Mew2King63
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV201
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 13
• FirePhoenix11
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1751
League of Legends
• TFBlade1168
Other Games
• imaqtpie858
• Shiphtur248
• WagamamaTV248
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 18m
Stellar Fest
18h 18m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.