• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:13
CEST 03:13
KST 10:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6948 users

The Liquid Weekly #18

Forum Index > News
42 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 Next All

The Liquid Weekly #18

Text byriptide
Graphics byKennigit
November 29th, 2010 07:13 GMT

Brought to you by the letters G S and L.

[image loading]
Quick Links

Liquid` Sightings

Thirty Two
Liquid in the GSL.

TL T-Shirt Giveaway



Jinro, Ret in GSL Open S3 Ro32, 29th Nov and 1st Dec 2010


TLAF-Liquid`Jinro and TLAF-Liquid`Ret will go head to head against Korea's best again this week in the GSL Open S3 Ro32. While Ret plays thebestfou in a ZvT later today, Jinro takes on famous WC3 player Moon in a TvZ on Wednesday. [More]


[image loading]back to top


Jinro, Ret in GSL Open S3 Ro32, 29th Nov and 1st Dec 2010


[image loading]

TLAF-Liquid`Jinro and TLAF-Liquid`Ret will go head to head against Korea's best again this week in the GSL Open S3 Ro32. While Ret plays thebestfou in a ZvT later today, Jinro takes on famous WC3 player Moon in a TvZ on Wednesday.

In case you've been afk and/or living under a rock, the GSL feeling here on TL has reached fever pitch. While we did have to pick a winner every week, it's getting harder and harder with so many awesome cheerfuls showing up in the LR threads. If you're reading this soon after publication then you're just a few hours away from Ret's Ro32 match so be sure to hang around and catch it with us in the Live Report thread, and of course, on IRC. We're rooting for our Dutch Destroyer to Retroll through to the Ro16, and we hope you are too!

Then, be back here again on Wednesday to go crazy again as Jinrownage takes place. All in all, with two of our best in the GSL, this is a solid week for TL and then some. The games are going to be awesome, the banter will be over the top, and of course there are tshirts to be won. Be here, or risk missing out on one of those tell-your-grandkids kinda ESPORTS experiences. The choice, as always, is yours.


Liquid at Dreamhack - Event Finished


[image loading]

While TLAF-Liquid`Tyler, TLAF-Liquid`TLO and TLAF-Liquid`HuK were in Sweden last weekend at the world's biggest LAN, it was a disappointing few days for fans as none of them managed to make it past the Ro8. The highlight of the weekend was Tyler beating Inca, but all in all we look forward to a better show from all of them as they head back to their respective regions to play in other tournaments in the months to come.

As for Dreamhack itself, the SC2 tourney was full of "upsets" and we'd like to congratulate Naama, Mana and Fenix on doing so well. Well played!

Look below for televised coverage of the event by Swedish TV channel SVT, including a studio interview with TLO and HuK.

Dreamhack, SC2 and Liquid on Swedish TV









[image loading]back to top


[image loading]
Pictures via Fomos.

This interview was posted on TL late last week and is included here for fans who may have missed it.

Hi Jonathan, Hi Jos! Congratulations on being a part of Liquid's most successful GSL Ro64 yet.

Ret: Thanks a lot, happy to be a part of it, and hopefully we aren't going anywhere any time soon. ^_^

Jinro: Howdy! Tyty, good to be a part of it!


This is the first GSL for the both of you and yet you have both progressed to the Ro32. Were you confident you would get past this round, and what are your goals for this tournament?

Jinro: Goal 1 to win Ro32
Goal 2 to win ro16
Goal 3 to win ro8
Goal 4 to win ro4
Goal 5 to win the final

Ret: I was pretty confident about my first round, my opponent wasn’t a big name or anything so I felt good about it. Like I've said in other interviews, my goal is of course to win.

To be honest I haven't watched the GSL that closely, mostly just teammates' games, but there has been some surprisingly quality play from "unknowns". I say unknowns, but the fOu guys aren’t really unknowns I guess. Alivefou in particular has been quite impressive.




Hahaha. Awesome! How did you feel your series went in general? Any additional insight into things that stream viewers may have missed?

Ret: Game 1 was kinda messy, I should've defended vs the phoenix harass much better instead of being overly aggressive. The game became kind of close because of that at some points. Game 2 was smooth sailing for me, just a standard macro game.

Jinro: Well, I think I played all right but I was too hesitant, a trap I sometimes fall into in important games... I also kinda autopiloted game 2 without properly adjusting to how my opponent was playing, since next to nobody plays that way. I was playing the way you’d play vs ling baneling muta, which is of course a mistake.


You've both watched two GSL Ro64s so far. How do you feel this one stacked up when compared to its predecessors, both in terms of your games and the other competition you saw unfold over the past few days?

Jinro: To be honest I haven't watched the GSL that closely, mostly just teammates' games, but there has been some surprisingly quality play from "unknowns". I say unknowns, but the fOu guys aren’t really unknowns I guess. Alivefou in particular has been quite impressive.

Ret: As expected it's been pretty high level all around, less and less people who have no idea what they're doing and lucked through the qualifiers, although there were still a couple. I don't think there will be any more freebies in GSL from this point forward, and there's a steady increase in skill level.


Speaking of fOu, Ret, you’re playing TheBestfOu. What thoughts on that?

Ret: He's a terran user in fou, and so far all the fou guys have been really strong, so I am expecting a strong terran opponent. Unfortunately the maps aren't really backing me on this one, being Metalopolis, Steppes and Jungle. Nonetheless I feel that ZvT is my best matchup and hopefully I will be able to pull out a win here.

I wish they didn't make it set maps, especially with the Ro32 maps for zerg players....a lot of people have been really unlucky and I feel for them. Some maps in SC2 are so imbalanced they shouldn't be played in tournaments.

I wish they didn't make it set maps, especially with the Ro32 maps for zerg players....a lot of people have been really unlucky and I feel for them. Some maps in SC2 are so imbalanced they shouldn't be played in tournaments.




Jinro, you’re going up against Moon in one of the biggest games of the GSL so far. How confident are you that you can walk away with a win?

Jinro: I dunno, I can’t say too much before I see the maps. It’s gonna range from "quite confident" to "shit." depending on them. At least it’s hard to get screwed as bad as ST_Monster as Terran. ^^ What we really need is new maps, some of the maps are starting to show their age already.


The stagnant map pool seems to be a recurring problem in SC2 so far. What are some long term solutions to this problem?

Jinro: Map making teams need to eventually pop up, and their maps need to be adopted by tournaments. Also, we should preferably have more than 1 map making team!

Ret: Think we need to move to a system similar to BW where the community makes the maps. BW has seen some amazing maps made by the koreans, I feel like there are enough dedicated people out there who really enjoy this sort of thing that could create great maps for competitive play. In general I feel like larger maps create more balanced and entertaining games.

Map making teams need to eventually pop up, and their maps need to be adopted by tournaments. Also, we should preferably have more than 1 map making team!




This was your first televised game in Korea. Did you feel nervous going in? What did you take away from this experience on the whole, and will you do anything different when you prepare to go on camera again in the next round?

Jinro: I don’t feel much in the way of nerves any more, but they still show up a little bit on my play - usually manifested by overly cautious play.

Ret: I feel at home inside the booth. I wish I didn't have to leave, I truly feel one with the chair, desk and computer in front of me. It's like I was born to be there. So no, no nerves. Oh, I'll probably smile more. I didn't think my parents were gonna watch.

"I feel at home inside the booth. I wish I didn't have to leave, I truly feel one with the chair, desk and computer in front of me. It's like I was born to be there. So no, no nerves. Oh, I'll probably smile more. I didn't think my parents were gonna watch."




Haha, OK! Generally, what’s the atmosphere like at the event? Jinro, we noticed you having a chuckle as you chatted in the lobby with your opponent. Thousands of fans only see you guys in the booth though, so why not tell us a bit about the run up to games and what that process is like once you arrive at the studio?

Ret: Well, I got about 20 minutes to set up my stuff to warm up. Then 'make-up' (2 min because i have no hair), then waiting around starring at the Korean commentar girl because she's so pretty. Then game-time! Oh ya, some random chit chat with Artosis and Tasteless to ease your mind before the match helps. I didn't talk to my opponent at all, would've been different if I actually knew him I guess.

Jinro: Well, I don’t remember what I was laughing about exactly, but NEXDrug and me were chatting about SC1, as I recognized him from there and he said he thought he recognized my ID as well. He seemed to have pretty fluent English and was very nice, so it was fun.

The process is pretty much what Jos describe, what most people probably don’t know though is that there’s quite loud SC music playing inside your booth to drown out outside sound, so you gotta play with your sounds set to maximum. When the game starts, the music goes way up too, masking everything. It’s good, but was a bit of a surprise for me.


You guys both have the weekend to prepare for the Ro32. Ret you have a ZvT to practice for, and Jinro, you’re gonna be working on your TvZ. Any Bo50s vs each other planned?

Jinro: Hopefully I get the same maps as him so we can do nothing but play.

Ret: I'm sure we'll play a lot. Don't wanna smash his confidence though, so I'll go easy.

Jinro: Any other maps and I’d agree.

Ret: In all seriousness though, I was rooting for Moon hardcore because I really wanted a Terran I could practice with. I'm really glad we both have the same matchup.


The fact that he always has more units and drones than anyone else at any given point in the game. And that he makes my computer lag with his limit in banelings.


Hahaha. All right, we’re going to let you guys go now, but here’s one for the road. Jinro, what’s the most annoying part about Ret’s play, and Ret, what do you find most frustrating in playing Jinro?

Jinro: The fact that he always has more units and drones than anyone else at any given point in the game. And that he makes my computer lag with his limit in banelings.

I hate when my banelings are about to kill a bunch of marines and then he puts em all in dropships and drops down single marines...

Ret: I hate when my banelings are about to kill a bunch of marines and then he puts em all in dropships and drops down single marines and makes me waste those precious banelings. Generally hes nice to play though, because he rarely allins. <3 terrans who dont allin! His marine spreading is getting too good though. =(


Well, here’s to a frustrating weekend for both of you! Good luck, have fun, and own it up next week, OK? Go Jinro, Go Ret, Liquid fighting!

Jinro: Liquid fighting!

Ret: Liquid`Nazgul Fighting.


[image loading]back to top

Liquid is currently blessed with a sponsor that just keeps on giving, and we're now ready to share some of TLAF's awesomeness with you too! Thanks to The Little App Factory, we're going to be giving away a TL Winged Horse t-shirt every week.

[image loading]
The Winged Horse, as worn by Liquid and every TLer worth his or her salt.

To win yours today, try your luck at the

TLAF Cheerful Contest


[image loading]
This awesome canvas is courtesy of our favourite paintbrush, pachi!

How Do I enter?
1) Grab the cheerful template seen above.

2) Make a cheerful for Jinro or Ret (or both/all of them)!

3) Use it in the Live Report thread for any of the GSL Ro32 days that a Liquidian plays on. Posting your cheerful in this (The Liquid Weekly) thread will not count as an official contest entry.

A Cheerful? What's that?
Cheerfuls are fan made placards which Korean progamers traditionally display in their booths when they play on live TV. Here at TL, we use them in LR threads to support players and teams we like.

+ Show Spoiler [Examples from a previous contest] +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


When will I know if I've won or not?
The winner of this week's contest will be announced in next week's Weekly.

Is is true that wearing the Winged Horse will immediately increase my SC2 skills by 50%?
Although we cannot confirm this, our users have claimed that the t-shirt has significantly changed the way they play the game.


+ Show Spoiler [Last Winner] +
Congratulations to TL user Gaius Baltar for winning last week's Cheerful Contest.

[image loading]


Please pm 'riptide' on TL for more information on how to get your t-shirt.





Liquid` is proudly sponsored by The Little App Factory, makers of fine applications for Windows and Mac OS X and fans of great Starcraft! Their flagship program, iRip allows you to recover your music from iPods - a life saver if you, like many of us, do tech support for friends and family. In fact, for a limited time, you can use the coupon code TEAMLIQUID to get 25% off when you get TLAF products!
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorSKT T1 | Masters of the Universe
EchoZ
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Japan5041 Posts
November 29 2010 07:20 GMT
#2
TL FIGHTING!
Dear Sixsmith...
skyprodigy
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada28 Posts
November 29 2010 07:25 GMT
#3
Great post guys !
blow me hard
LeFroMaGe
Profile Joined October 2010
United States628 Posts
November 29 2010 07:26 GMT
#4
As always, keep it up.

Liquid Fighting!
GhostKorean
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States2330 Posts
November 29 2010 07:30 GMT
#5
Does this week seem a bit lacking in content to anyone else...?
ChineseWife
Profile Joined August 2010
United States373 Posts
November 29 2010 07:32 GMT
#6
Oops I made no units
infinitestory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4053 Posts
November 29 2010 07:32 GMT
#7
On November 29 2010 16:30 GhostKorean wrote:
Does this week seem a bit lacking in content to anyone else...?

That's because there wasn't much going on this week? I guess
Translator:3
frogmelter
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States971 Posts
November 29 2010 07:33 GMT
#8
On November 29 2010 16:32 infinitestory wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 29 2010 16:30 GhostKorean wrote:
Does this week seem a bit lacking in content to anyone else...?

That's because there wasn't much going on this week? I guess


Yeah, but no replay section?

Unless they didn't play any games... there usually are replays released of pwnage games
TL+ Member
Vortigan
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Denmark306 Posts
November 29 2010 07:36 GMT
#9
ye a little bit. gl guys
DeckOneBell
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States526 Posts
November 29 2010 07:37 GMT
#10
Definitely a short Liquid Weekly, but with all the awesome weeklies they put out, they're allowed to take a little break once in a while, so, good work anyway. By they, I think I mean Riptide. But correct me if I'm wrong.
RainCoat
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden142 Posts
November 29 2010 07:48 GMT
#11
Too bad about Dreamhack, but still great to see you there guys! Liquid fighting!
Kinky
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States4126 Posts
November 29 2010 07:54 GMT
#12
Needs more pictures of the TLHQ imo ;O
TL is awesome as always!
Imbu
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States903 Posts
November 29 2010 08:05 GMT
#13
Liquid Hwaiting!

I can't wait for later today! This is going to be awesome. Seeing them on TV is just so unreal when it was almost unthinkable just a year ago!
@DreamingBird
BlueChipKiwi
Profile Joined July 2010
United States46 Posts
November 29 2010 08:05 GMT
#14
The TL Weekly goes quality over quantity this week
Go Ret!!
Is the dark blue TL shirt going to be available in the store anytime soon?
sksyen
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States359 Posts
November 29 2010 08:16 GMT
#15
Great post once again. GL RET~
InflowYen.681 || /dance
Bloodash
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands1384 Posts
November 29 2010 08:27 GMT
#16
hope I can watch the games during work, don't wanna miss this :D
I'll bite this hand that feeds me, and take it for my own!
Tiazi
Profile Joined February 2010
Netherlands761 Posts
November 29 2010 08:51 GMT
#17
hmm not the quality I'm used to from a liquid weekly. Already saw the interview last week and the dreamhack coverage seems marginal. Well O.K. guess I'm spoiled!
"A brilliant yet deluded man once said, 'Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.' Gumiho is that agent of chaos." -monk
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
November 29 2010 09:03 GMT
#18
OK. Woot. I'm making a zillion cheerfulls. I'll only submit one, but make many :DD
ReachTheSky
Profile Joined April 2010
United States3294 Posts
November 29 2010 09:05 GMT
#19
so wait, after reading this i assume huk will not be going back to korea?
TL+ Member
Jepulis
Profile Joined July 2010
Finland140 Posts
November 29 2010 09:19 GMT
#20
Short and simple weekly. You got Jinrolled! Haha so funny!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings63
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 142
RuFF_SC2 31
ProTech14
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15348
Rain 2266
Artosis 622
Bale 16
League of Legends
Doublelift3772
Counter-Strike
taco 265
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox673
Mew2King192
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor981
Other Games
summit1g8558
Day[9].tv655
JimRising 542
PiGStarcraft334
C9.Mang0248
ArmadaUGS69
ViBE55
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV178
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream87
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 146
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP53
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv655
• Scarra574
• Shiphtur191
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
11h 47m
OSC
20h 47m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 8h
Online Event
1d 9h
FEL
1d 14h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.