• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:10
CEST 10:10
KST 17:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8003 users

[TSL] Mondragon Interview Post-Semifinals

Forum Index > TSL2 Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-25 07:55:39
February 25 2010 07:49 GMT
#1
[image loading]


Apologies on this being a few days late. Mondragon talks about his win over Sen, the upcoming TSL Finals against Nony, and his plans to play the SC2 Beta.

Interview with ToT)Mondragon(


PokerStrategy.com TSL:
Congratulations, Mondragon, for advancing to the Finals. Tell us a bit about the series from your point of view.

ToT)Mondragon(:
Thanks a lot. The series started off on Andromeda and it was the only map I thought about a strategy before. I prepared a 'special' strategy - nothing new but there were some thoughts behind it. I was 100% sure that Sen would go either 12 hatch expansion or 9 pool, because those two strategies are the only valid ones on Andromeda. Thus I decided to go overpool, because I would be ahead vs 9 pool and I would be able to kill his expansion if I micro decently. After I saw his build I was confident about winning the first game.

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
In Game 2 you made use of your earlier speed upgrade.

ToT)Mondragon(:
The second game was on Tornado where I did not plan any strategy before and decided to go 9 pool with speed first. He went 9 pool as well but with lair first I think. Since I knew he had to be at 6 o'clock due to overlord movements, I directy went to attack his main and caught 3 or 4 lings off guard while he was attacking me with 6 lings, though as his lings arrived at my base I had 6 lings waiting and could beat his attack. In the meantime I was able to harass him and kill like 2 or 3 drones which gave me a huge edge. The first muta battle did not go as I wanted it to go, but due to my heavy economy advantage and taking the expansion it was just a matter of time until I won.

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
Why did you 9 pool again in the third game?

ToT)Mondragon(:
Third game I decided to go 9 pool once again because I thought "he has to go 12 hatch expansion once!". But again, he did not go for expansion but for 9 Gas 10 Pool or so and played it very very risky in my opinion. He went lair first without even knowing what I was doing. Therefore his lings came pretty late and I was able to harass him and deal huge damage with my lings, so that eventually he only had 4 Drones left when his spire finished.

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
Did you watch Sen's previous TSL games (especially the match vs ret) in preparation for the match? And if so did it influence your preparation at all. Also, did you have any strategies in mind for a possible 4th (Destination) and 5th (Fighting Spirit) game?

ToT)Mondragon(:
Since I don't like watching vods to prepare games, I didn't see the games of Sen vs Jos. I only knew Sen went 12 hatch every game, but I was sure he wouldn't do the same again. That's why I didn't really think about any specific strategies, because ZvZ is much about build order luck anyway and there are only a few valid strategies you can use. In the end all those strategies are like the rock paper scissors system. Thus it means to just use a strategy you feel confident in this 1 second you decide about it while playing!

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
You often call ZvZ a coinflip. You must have practiced a lot of coin flipping to make it 3-0! What did you expect going into the match, are you surprised the the victory was this decisive?

ToT)Mondragon(:
As I mentioned before, ZvZ is like the rock paper scissors system, which is more or less like flipping a coin. If you have a build order where you are far behind the other, it's almost impossible to win if the opponent doesn't make a huge mistake - unless your name is Jaedong. To be honest I didn't practice too much ZvZ this week because I both have to study a lot, and because most of my fellow ToT players are busy with the Starcraft 2 beta and don't care about playing BW at the moment. Thanks to Gan and TechnicS who played a bit with me this week! I was definitely surprised it ended 3-0 but anything can happen in ZvZ and today the luck was on my side.

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
Sen was in ToT for a long time and you two were widely considered the two best non-Korean Zerg players, are you guys still close?

ToT)Mondragon(:
I wouldn't say we are close, we pretty much lost contact during the years because of his retirement. But we are definitely good friends and it's always a pleasure to talk and play with Senny He's one of the most mannered top players in the history of BW.

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
He certainly is. You just mentioned being busy with exams at the moment, some people feel really uncomfortable in matches when they lack practice. How important do you personally feel practice is, especially going into the Final next week?

ToT)Mondragon(:
Somehow I have the habit to perform better when I don't have much time to practice. It's a mystery, maybe I just practice more intensely when I am lacking time and can focus better . Unfortunately I haven't played ZvP since 1-2 months ago because I was working on my ZvT [Editor's note: except for the semifinals, all of Mondragon's TSL matches were ZvT] . This means that I have to learn ZvP from scratch with a few games this week.

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
Let's hope you find some time! Nony will be your opponent in the Grand Final. On his way there he defeated IdrA, who most people thought was the favourite to win it all. How do you feel about Nony, and not having to play Idra?

ToT)Mondragon(:
I definitely prefer to play NonY over IdrA, although I am more confident with my ZvT which makes it equal. NonY has shown that he's a great player by showing great performances throughout the entire tournament. Seeing his performance against players such as Tarson, IdrA and JF, I definitely consider him better than me at this point considering his PvZ is supposed to be better than his PvT.

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
The Final will be best of 7. Most tournaments don't have such long series, how do you feel about that?

ToT)Mondragon(:
An old man like me doesn't like to play such long series I often get bored after 2-3 practice games and a bo7 looks like a nightmare to me, but I'll try to get the best out of it.

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
You don't have to tell us any specifics, but can we expect some trademark ZvP moves, like the plagues & guardians you showcased in your ZvTs?

ToT)Mondragon(:
Hehe, I haven't thought about anything yet, but I think it's difficult to surprise with anything in ZvP and my runby lings are outdated But sometimes historical moments return!

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
We shall see! Before we wrap this up: You said most of your ToT mates were playing SC2 beta right now, do you have a key as well? And if so did you give it a try yet?

ToT)Mondragon(:
Yep, I do have a key and I played more games than I wanted to. I was forced to give it a try because no one wanted to practice ZvZ with me Overall it's better than the last time i played it (in 2008 or so) but once you switch back from SC2 to BW you realize how good BW is and how much overview and control you have over your units

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
Will you play SC2 some more during the beta phase?

ToT)Mondragon(:
I'll absolutely try it more after both TSL is finished and all my exams are over. I hope that the Beta will still last a bit.

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
Any thoughts about Sen vs JF for third place? Any shoutouts you'd like to make?

ToT)Mondragon(:
I think that Sen and JF are both on the same level and predicting the winner seems kind of impossible. Thus good luck to both and shoutouts to Gan and TechnicS for playing ZvZ with me during this week and thanks to everyone who is cheering for me. And last but not least, Thanks to PokerStrategy.com and Teamliquid for sponsoring and hosting this event!

PokerStrategy.com TSL:
Well, thanks for the interview and good luck in the final!

ToT)Mondragon(:
Thank you!




This TSL is sponsored by PokerStrategy.com, the world's largest poker school and community. With hundreds of Poker VODs and an assortment of learning material in 18 different languages, PokerStrategy.com offers the chance for aspiring Poker players to learn from a beginner to a professional level.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Silentness
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2821 Posts
February 25 2010 08:10 GMT
#2
uhh practice ZvP from scratch that doesn't sound good.

I hope he puts up a good show for Nony
GL HF... YOLO..lololollol.
samachking
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Bahrain4949 Posts
February 25 2010 09:39 GMT
#3
Thanks for the interview .
Mondragon will crush Nony. Its funny that mondragon calls ZvZ a coinflip even when he is one of the best ZvZers in the foreign scene, bos do play a huge deal until the ovies are at the mains. Hoping for a great final.
"And then Earthlings discovered tools. Suddenly agreeing with friends could be a form of suicide or worse. But agreements went on, not for the sake of common sense, or decency, or self preservation, but for friendliness."
Zapdos_Smithh
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2620 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-25 10:48:17
February 25 2010 10:43 GMT
#4
On February 25 2010 17:10 Silentness wrote:
uhh practice ZvP from scratch that doesn't sound good.

I hope he puts up a good show for Nony


man i hope to god this is a troll....

edit:

and yeah totally predict mondi rolling over nony.
Zona
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
40426 Posts
February 25 2010 10:56 GMT
#5
Perhaps Mondragon's interview strategy is to get his opponent to underestimate him? But I doubt Nony would do that.
"If you try responding to those absurd posts every day, you become more damaged. So I pay no attention to them at all." Jung Myung Hoon (aka Fantasy), as translated by Kimoleon
Macavenger
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1132 Posts
February 25 2010 12:07 GMT
#6
Mondragon isn't going to have to learn ZvP from scratch, NonY isn't going to underestimate him, and NonY isn't going to get rolled. Neither of them is going to get rolled; they're both too good for that. This should be an amazing series. I was hoping for a Mondi-NonY finals back in the Razer TSL when the Ro16 brackets for that came out - better late than never!
Zplut
Profile Joined September 2009
Germany90 Posts
February 25 2010 12:18 GMT
#7
Nice interview GoGo Mondi !!! xD
KinosJourney2
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Sweden1811 Posts
February 25 2010 13:30 GMT
#8
It's impossible to take anyones side in the finals, i like both players and i wish them both the best of luck.
ocho wrote: EDIT: NEVERMIND, THIS THING HAS APM TECHNOLOGY OMG
dranjam
Profile Joined May 2008
Poland198 Posts
February 25 2010 14:09 GMT
#9
GL in the final Mondi .
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight with you, then you win.
citi.zen
Profile Joined April 2009
2509 Posts
February 25 2010 14:29 GMT
#10
I am reminded of Idra's observation that Mondi "lies through his teeth" in interviews.

Either way this should be a classic final and a fitting way to end what will perhaps be the last BW TSL. GL to both of you!
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
SubtleArt
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
2710 Posts
February 25 2010 14:53 GMT
#11
Lol ToT are all busy with the BETA T_T. SC2 isn't even out and already the foreign sc community is dieing lol
Morrow on ZvP: "I'm not very confident in general vs Protoss because of the imbalance (Yes its imbalanced, get over it)."
Armathai
Profile Joined October 2007
1023 Posts
February 25 2010 15:55 GMT
#12
Ah learning ZvP from scratch is a bit stretched, Mondi helped develope the matchup in the foreign scene afterall :D :D

Anyways cant wait for a great series!
Looking for ArcticCerebrate formerly from @USEast
Foreplay
Profile Joined May 2008
United States1154 Posts
February 25 2010 19:14 GMT
#13
gogo mondi!
Better than Pokebunny
n3m0
Profile Joined January 2007
Portugal247 Posts
February 25 2010 19:50 GMT
#14
nony will win :o
Former WGT Clan League Admin - Former Portugal A team manager - Former member of MgZ) / iG. / LRM) - Starcraft Broodwar
okum
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
France5779 Posts
February 25 2010 20:00 GMT
#15
Mondragon said:
... because ZvZ is much about build order luck anyway and there are only a few valid strategies you can use. In the end all those strategies are like the rock paper scissors system ...

I thought day[9] said ZvZ is not like rock paper scissors at all. So which way is it? Mondi and day[9] should play ZvZ to settle the dispute!
Flash fan before it was cool | Coiner of "jangbang"
seRapH
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9829 Posts
February 25 2010 20:01 GMT
#16
mondi is way too modest. but likable.

its hard to choose who to root for this finals
boomer hands
Belano
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden657 Posts
February 25 2010 20:03 GMT
#17
Good luck Mondragon!
Bring back 1 supply roaches.
NeoOmega
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States495 Posts
February 25 2010 20:04 GMT
#18
Mondragon should contact JF for practice, and NonY should talk to Sen.
FortuneSyn
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1826 Posts
February 25 2010 20:04 GMT
#19
OK this interview was a bit too much. Seriously bro you can't possibly be telling me that you are so indifferent to the extra $5K. I think Mondragon is farily aware about the cost-benefit analysis of this situation.. GO PRACTICE.
PhilGood2DaY
Profile Joined September 2005
Germany7424 Posts
February 25 2010 21:53 GMT
#20
Not feeling the pressure is the most important thing when so much money is on the line..
if mondi can get rid of it that way its fine..
hatred outlives the hateful
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 746
GuemChi 588
Leta 324
BeSt 240
Soma 174
Hyun 130
firebathero 110
Mong 68
910 48
sSak 35
[ Show more ]
Bale 26
yabsab 19
ZergMaN 18
HiyA 12
Noble 8
Shine 2
Dota 2
febbydoto11
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss561
ceh9523
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King347
Other Games
summit1g8228
olofmeister845
JimRising 484
Happy336
KnowMe48
Trikslyr24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick455
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast34
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt440
• Jankos241
Other Games
• Shiphtur485
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 51m
Patches Events
7h 51m
The PondCast
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 2h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.