• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:16
CEST 12:16
KST 19:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8366 users

PC for office work

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
TRaFFiC
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada1448 Posts
September 24 2020 07:41 GMT
#1
what do you think of this pc on amazon.ca? I'm just wondering how the new ssd memory works. Do I need to install a HDD to have more memory space?

Thanks for opinions

https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-TC-895-UA92-i5-10400-Processor-802-11ax/dp/B088X2YR3X/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
2v2, 1v1, Zerg, Terran http://www.twitch.tv/trafficsc2
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-24 22:53:23
September 24 2020 17:00 GMT
#2
don't know about quality of the computer or amazon pricing but depending on what your doing 512gb should be plenty if your not doing anything with huge amounts of video files/games so unless your job is super storage heavy like computer animation or something I wouldn't worry about it. SSD just means stuff boots faster mainly. I'm pretty sure the main reason people go HDD instead of SSD these days I'm pretty sure is just price for larger amounts of storage.


I have a 1tb drive and its lasted me like 7 years and its only full now because I decided to copy all my cds in wav format for some reason plus install video games that are like 60-100 gb each so I imagine 512 will be fine for a long time. If you ever do run out you could also just get and external hard drive with an enclosure if you want since its for work. obv you can always install it too. Heck they sell super affordable 128/256gb usb flash drives now so thats also an option depending on what our doing if you want to put a lot of music/movies on something. you can get a 256gb 3.0 usb for 30 USD or a 512 one for like 70 bucks USD now.

USB 3.0 hard drives are also pretty cheap now.


my theory is don't buy more memory space than you need cause prices will probably go down and its usually easy to add later and no reason paying for it if your never going to use it. the exception is if your already buying a new hard drive and then it might be worth spending like 20 more dollars for like 2-4x the space. I'm not an expert however and other people may be more knowledgable.
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
TRaFFiC
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada1448 Posts
October 14 2020 04:15 GMT
#3
Thanks a lot for the help man. Yeah, I can always buy additional space pretty cheap.
2v2, 1v1, Zerg, Terran http://www.twitch.tv/trafficsc2
TRaFFiC
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada1448 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-26 07:15:03
October 26 2020 07:14 GMT
#4
Hi again, so I bought this PC for office work for my wife. I thought it would be reasonably fast considering the processor is top of the line (?), but I was very unimpressed by the speed, especially on data transfer of pictures and videos.

My nearly 10 year old pc with 16gb of ram, a i5 3570 processor, and nvdia graphic 1060 6b, transferred the same data in about 2 minutes compared to 15 minutes on the new pc.

What gives? Would an ssd help? Should I bother installing one before returning it? Neither of these computers have an ssd and my super old one is way faster.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-tc-desktop-pc-intel-core-i5-10400-1tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-10/14760362

Here is a comparison of the processors. Is this site reliable?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-10400-vs-Intel-i5-3570/3737vs827

and lastly, can anyone recommend me some good websites or tools for stress testing a PC.
2v2, 1v1, Zerg, Terran http://www.twitch.tv/trafficsc2
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-26 13:41:20
October 26 2020 13:41 GMT
#5
CPU and GPU has nothing to do with transferring data, but rather the hard drive used and the connections used during the transfer. Though you haven't told us what you are transfering to and from, I am guessing it's from the same phone to the PC. That difference in transfer time is about the difference in transfer speed between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 I suspect.
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-27 05:20:22
October 27 2020 04:09 GMT
#6
this is going to be out of my level of expertise. I just nkow basic stuff on hard drives. If your doing stuff via usb definitely check to make sure your using 3.0 assuming the device supports it that could be your problem (blue usb port is 3.0).

I don't have a great idea but I can offer some suggestions.

The relevant description of your tower says "One card reader, 5 audio jacks, 1 USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port, 5 USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A ports, 2 HDMI ports, 1 LAN port, 4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A ports, 2 USB 2.0 Type A ports offer plenty of options for external device connectivity." So first of all I'd plug it into a blue port and see if that matters then maybe try the other colored ports to see if theirs any change. matter cause you might be plugged into one of the two 2.0 ports or the port your using might just be weird/not fully compatible start with the blue ones assuming their there cause I know those are 3.0 and if those don't fix the issue try the others I guess but at that point I'm completely lost. You could also try getting a cord to plug into the type c port to see if that works and different. If your using the front port my guess would be that it's actually a 2.0 charging port assuming a different port fixes it.


An SSD would speed it up further but considering the previous computer hard an HDD I really feel the ports the only thing that makes sense as stated above and if you're not getting full speed out of an HDD there's no way your going to speed it up by swapping the Hard drive when the bottleneck is elsewhere.


If its the port theres a few things you can do if you don't want to always plug it into the back of the case.

+ Show Spoiler +


considering the case set up just get a usb-c to whatever device your plugging in a cable too (if its a phone its probably a usb-c to usb-c cable you want) and just plug that into the front that should solve the problem with the minimum amount of issues.

If you need more ports cause of like keyboards or something I think you can buy a usb hub like this but with 5 3.2 I doubt that matters.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3H5JOSX0GTQS4&dchild=1&keywords=usb 3.0 hub&qid=1603772246&sprefix=usb 3.0 ,aps,770&sr=8-4

You can also just buy an 3.0 extension cable if you have a free port but don't want to mess with plugging it into the back of the computer all the time assuming a different port works. their prob like 5-10 bucks (not sure what conversion rate is but their cheap.)

If its from a phone you can also just buy a longer phone cable (think type c is standard.)


I'm not necessarily an expert in this stuff so if people want to add on or correct me go ahead but I don't think I made any major mistakes and hopefully it at least gives you an idea of what you should look at.
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
TRaFFiC
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada1448 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-28 03:41:50
October 28 2020 03:40 GMT
#7
Thank you for the very well thought out replies.

So I was actually making the dumb mistake (I believe) of using the USB 2.0 port. When using the USB 3.0 ports on both PCs, the transfer rate is about the same.

I still feel like the PC could be a bit faster. Takes over a minute to boot being brand new so I want to go for the ssd for sure.

My PC guy is telling me I will need to reinstall windows (80$) + labour (80$) + price of the ssd.

So I'm thinking to trade it for this one. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-pro-d641sc-desktop-pc-intel-core-i5-9400-512gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10/14180301

How can I tell if there is room to upgrade ram?

I want this pc to be lightning fast for office work. Willing to pay more if necessary.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dell-optiplex-9010-desktop-intel-core-i7-3770-3-4ghz-24gb-ram-240gb-ssd500gb-dvd-windows-10-pro-refurbished/14319204

Alternatively, they have these cheap refurbished ones. I'm not looking to cheap out, but the specs look good?

2v2, 1v1, Zerg, Terran http://www.twitch.tv/trafficsc2
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-28 04:34:57
October 28 2020 04:31 GMT
#8
It looks like its running 4 2gb ram chips so I assume its easy to upgrade RAM just by swapping new ones in and I think the motherboard should support it I have a 10 year old+ desktop that's running either 32 or 64gb ram.

as for the second one I have no idea about refurbished pcs as I've never used em and in general I am a little bit wary of refurbished products but I have no hands on experience with anything refurbished. I'm can't offer much more than that beyond that. hopefully someone else can give you better information.
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-28 08:51:50
October 28 2020 08:31 GMT
#9
What kind of office work?

If it's the generic teams, MS Office, and the like, a good SSD is 95% of having a computer be snappy. The rest is a high single core performance CPU with reasonably high speed RAM (3200Mhz CL16 or better).

So something like an i5 9400 that you linked is fine, also make sure it's a DRAM SSD.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off buying a gaming computer on kijiji without a GPU. Those office PC's have garbage power supplies that will randomly crap out on you, and they go with the cheapest SSD'S, RAM, and Mobo to buff the specs so the description sounds nice.

For $600-$700 you'll find a really solid mid range 2 year old system without a GPU, with all trusted parts from big brand suppliers. If you want, PM me your city, and I can help you find some value oriented listings on Kijiji.

Or heck, build your own from Memex:

i3 10100 or i5 9500 - $150 or $230
Mobo -$120
16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 - $90
512gb or 1TB SSD - $80 or $120
500-600W Bronze PSU - $60
Case - $50
Windows - Find for free

$550 to $670 CAD before tax. That's really all you need.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 9879
StarCastTV_EN223
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings42
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 5825
Jaedong 2428
EffOrt 1718
actioN 880
BeSt 661
Soma 444
Killer 438
Horang2 438
Pusan 296
ZerO 265
[ Show more ]
Stork 171
Zeus 144
Rush 90
soO 76
HiyA 67
JYJ 56
Mong 32
Shinee 31
ToSsGirL 31
Barracks 28
Bale 28
NaDa 23
Sexy 22
Sharp 21
sorry 20
Terrorterran 20
JulyZerg 12
Noble 9
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc2731
XaKoH 341
Counter-Strike
edward67
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes978
WinterStarcraft828
Other Games
gofns46311
singsing1308
olofmeister1189
ceh9549
byalli295
Livibee201
Pyrionflax156
ArmadaUGS31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick524
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream412
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 153
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH347
• StrangeGG 44
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1861
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
13h 44m
Kung Fu Cup
1d
The PondCast
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.