• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:47
CEST 19:47
KST 02:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10746 users

Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread - Page 733

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 731 732 733 734 735 746 Next
When using this resource, please read the opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12009 Posts
November 11 2021 15:49 GMT
#14641
Your GPU heating to 87°C does not sound good. My guess is that something is not working well with the cooling. I would assume that the middle vent should not be off? So you could try to figure out why it is. A quick google does show that the R2-290 can actually run very hot. I honestly doubt that case airflow is the problem here, but you could also take a look at the temps inside your case, your motherboard should have a thermometer to check these while running.

I assume you did the obvious things and made very sure to clean all the lint and dust out of the cooling setup?

Letting a shop install an aftermarket cooler sounds as if it would be roughly as pricy as getting a new card of similar quality, but i may be very off-mark here.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-11-15 07:12:21
November 15 2021 07:10 GMT
#14642
If one fan is not spinning, it should be. Those kinds of things can make your card run 20c hotter.

Case airflow will probably be insufficient because a 290 is a high-powered graphics card. Usually a config with 2-3 intakes and 1 exhaust fan is the least you would want. To test how much difference that makes, you can test the graphics card like this:

Set a specific graphics card fan RPM, not auto fan speed
Stress for 15 minutes, take a note of temperatures at the end
Take side panel off and give PC 5 mins to cool down
Stress for 15 minutes again without the side panel, take a note of temperatures at the end and see how much lower they are
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
pebble444
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Italy2503 Posts
November 27 2021 09:54 GMT
#14643
hi; i' m looking to understand if i can install 32 gb of ram on my portable asus;

this is my computer: asus fx505 tuf gaming

processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz

right now i have 8gb of ram installed

this is the ram i want to install

other than opening up the computer and manually cleaning it once every 2 months, and using glary utilities, i don' t have that much experience;
this would qualify as overclocking? is it too much, should i go for the 16 gb ram instead?
"Awaken my Child, and embrace the Glory that is your Birthright"
pebble444
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Italy2503 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-11-27 19:41:21
November 27 2021 19:40 GMT
#14644
So I actually manhandled my computer; a week ago me and my buddy changed the ram to a Mac, and it’s running great; so I opened up my computer, removed the ram, and put it back, just to see how it works on pc; now my computer won’ t recognize the ram somehow, or at least it takes a couple of seconds to turn on; before instantly you pressed the power button and it makes that little sound (which coincidentally is the same sound the mount in Star Wars 2 of obi one kenobi, that animal that looks like a giant lizard); so back to the story, it turns on, but doesn’ t do anything; key commands do not works, and it even refuses to recognize the mouse, my ever loyal companion since years, that never betrays; anywho, i’ m ordering a couple of rams, just the 16 fb ones; fuck it; Amazon has a free return policy, and I don’ t care if it takes weeks to get back my money

Edit: stay tuned for more of my computer shananigans
"Awaken my Child, and embrace the Glory that is your Birthright"
LeperKahn
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Romania1852 Posts
November 29 2021 06:38 GMT
#14645
Is this worth it, would you say? (there's an additional ~$60 off with another coupon)
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series/legion-s7-15ach6/82k8007uus

I was also looking at this one:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-1tb-ssd-moonlight-white/6452913.p

I was kinda leaning toward the lenovo because the build quality seems a lot higher. I'm a bit worried about heat with the slim though. It won't be crazy heavy gaming but I wanna play things like the new dying light. This is more-or-less a desktop replacement. I have a small light laptop for work. I don't want to use this new one "on the go" so much, but I am fairly nomadic these days and getting a tower doesn't make sense for me.
CJ Entusman #14 • http://soundcloud.com/discodinosaur • https://discosaur.bandcamp.com/
pebble444
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Italy2503 Posts
November 29 2021 07:42 GMT
#14646
So I actually managed to get my computer to work again; turns out after going to some wrong kinds of shops and watching a bunch of YouTube videos, I wasn’ t jacking the ram hard enough into the ram slot; now I learned that my computer has 2 slots and only one is occupied by a single 8gb ram memory;
Stimulated by this, I opened up an old family apple computer that was not working and did some research; turns out on this second computer, after cleaning it and pulling out and back in the ram, it went itself into recovery mode; I erased the hard disk? , since all the data had previously been pulled out, and after that it reinstalled a version of OS X that is completely outdated; will be a good addition though to the work space, for writing, emails, and to airdrop to it and print off it, and the printer seems to have issues with wireless printing;
This whole affair is getting me even more hyped for another old portable I have buried in the basement; it’ s time to do some real learning now from that; the only safety info I gathered from the videos until now is that batteries are extremely dangerous, and always operate on unplugged turned off devices
"Awaken my Child, and embrace the Glory that is your Birthright"
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
November 30 2021 18:31 GMT
#14647
On November 27 2021 18:54 pebble444 wrote:
hi; i' m looking to understand if i can install 32 gb of ram on my portable asus;

this is my computer: asus fx505 tuf gaming

processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz

right now i have 8gb of ram installed

this is the ram i want to install

other than opening up the computer and manually cleaning it once every 2 months, and using glary utilities, i don' t have that much experience;
this would qualify as overclocking? is it too much, should i go for the 16 gb ram instead?


You need SODIMMs, not DIMMs. It's not overclocking unless you make memory frequency/timings run out of spec, but that's difficult on a laptop.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44323 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-02 03:23:26
December 02 2021 03:17 GMT
#14648
Looking for an off the shelf laptop for the wife.

<$1k, >16” screen, 256+SSD, primarily used for discord, streaming, VoIP calls (Skype and a variety of jabber/mumble/other), able to run Rimworld, EVE Online (low graphics).

Any suggestions?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Legion-5-17-3-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600H-8GB-256GB-NVMe-TLC-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650-Windows-11-Home-82K00045US/749506432?athbdg=L1800
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
SC-Shield
Profile Joined December 2018
Bulgaria880 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-03 07:37:44
December 03 2021 07:19 GMT
#14649
On December 02 2021 12:17 KwarK wrote:
Looking for an off the shelf laptop for the wife.

<$1k, >16” screen, 256+SSD, primarily used for discord, streaming, VoIP calls (Skype and a variety of jabber/mumble/other), able to run Rimworld, EVE Online (low graphics).

Any suggestions?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Legion-5-17-3-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600H-8GB-256GB-NVMe-TLC-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650-Windows-11-Home-82K00045US/749506432?athbdg=L1800


It's a pretty small SSD which I imagine you'll run out of disk space early. If you're not afraid to get it replaced within 1-2 years, then it looks like a really good deal if price is #1 factor imho.
ExPresident
Profile Joined January 2010
United States215 Posts
December 08 2021 20:12 GMT
#14650
Looking for a build primarily for an older game, but wanna use my LG 55” OLED C9 TV as the monitor…

What is your budget? $1500 US, lower is better.


What is your monitor's native resolution? LG 55” OLED, 120hz and 4K capable but I don’t need to game at 4K on it. Plan to use this PC in conjunction with my PS5.


What games do you intend to play on this computer? What settings? Planetside 2 max settings, RTS games on high settings, some RPG’s here and there. Most stuff will be on the PS5 probably.


What do you intend to use the computer for besides gaming? Nothing. Gaming only.


Do you intend to overclock? No


Do you intend to do SLI / Crossfire? No


Do you need an operating system? Yes, basic Windows 10 and if it includes upgrade to 11.


Do you need a monitor or any other peripherals and is this part of your budget? Keyboard and mouse, preferably wireless as I’ll be “couch gaming”.


If you have any requirements or brand preferences, please specify. I was thinking AMD for price but if INTEL works better, easier updates whatever that’s the goal. Easier the better.


What country will you be buying your parts in? US


If you have any retailer preferences, please specify. Amazon or Newegg are fine, but I prefer Amazon.

On a side note, I don’t need anything RGB or fancy. Case is gonna be sitting on a wood floor below a floating shelf and while it should have plenty of room, air flow is important since it’s on the floor and I’m looking for function over beauty.

I’ve never used a PC with a 55” television as the monitor before so I don’t even know if I’m going to run into any issues with that setup or not, so any advice would be great. I’m planning to put this in my media room which is setup for a PS5 and movie viewing so adding a PC monitor isn’t in the cards if I wanna stay in that room.
pebble444
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Italy2503 Posts
December 08 2021 20:46 GMT
#14651
Just bought that 32 gb ram in 2x16

Life feels good, going up from 8; can t wait for it to arrive and boost my asus tug fx505g
"Awaken my Child, and embrace the Glory that is your Birthright"
KellyPeters
Profile Joined October 2021
1 Post
Last Edited: 2021-12-22 08:29:47
December 22 2021 08:29 GMT
#14652
--- Nuked ---
pebble444
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Italy2503 Posts
December 22 2021 21:23 GMT
#14653
My little update: put ram in computer, works well, responds well; now I have more games!

Actually I have noticed it overheated slightly less; also everything is insta faster;

Feels good man
"Awaken my Child, and embrace the Glory that is your Birthright"
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
January 12 2022 19:52 GMT
#14654
Just wondering if anyone has any recommended guides for a first-time PC builder. I see there are some videos in the OP, but they are kinda old. Not sure if that matters. Thanks!
Amui
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada10567 Posts
January 12 2022 20:50 GMT
#14655
On January 13 2022 04:52 AirbladeOrange wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has any recommended guides for a first-time PC builder. I see there are some videos in the OP, but they are kinda old. Not sure if that matters. Thanks!

You could look for newer guides from the same youtubers.

Took a quick browse through them and as far as I can tell the only thing that would've changed is general deprecation of the HDD/SATA drives for NVME drives.

Google how to install NVME if you need it.

As for components there's a lot of build guides for various budgets out there.
Porouscloud - NA LoL
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
January 13 2022 23:10 GMT
#14656
On January 13 2022 05:50 Amui wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2022 04:52 AirbladeOrange wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has any recommended guides for a first-time PC builder. I see there are some videos in the OP, but they are kinda old. Not sure if that matters. Thanks!

You could look for newer guides from the same youtubers.

Took a quick browse through them and as far as I can tell the only thing that would've changed is general deprecation of the HDD/SATA drives for NVME drives.

Google how to install NVME if you need it.

As for components there's a lot of build guides for various budgets out there.

Thank you!
necrosexy
Profile Joined March 2011
451 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-28 19:32:00
January 28 2022 19:30 GMT
#14657
recommendations for a quiet CPU fan for intel 1151?

20-50% load, it is noticeable and slightly annoying even though temps are fine

FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-29 21:05:52
January 29 2022 21:00 GMT
#14658
Hey guys,

I haven't been following portable technology for a while, but I switched roles, and currently a Project Manager for construction projects, and make fairly frequent visits to sites, and I believe I'm in need of a new device... Mainly to put annotations on drawings in pdf formats, like site measurements and notes for the designers, and pulling up information I might need from CAD files, viewing quotes, etc.

My current setup is a Samsung S10 for phone, work laptop I have some fairly midrange HP 15" screen w/ Windows 10 (256GB ssd, 8gb of ram, i5, 3 years old), which I connect up to an additional display, mouse, etc. when at the office. And for home use I have pretty typical gaming pc setup for max ergonomics running windows 10.

I've been on the construction side of things for a while, so I haven't needed the same level of communication and organizational software as I do now, and was able to do everything off of my phone (and from my desktop afterwards if my phone really wasn't able to handle something), and that's why I haven't been keeping up with the latest tech. I've seen other PM's use iPads, but I thought having a Windows machine for the compatibility might be nice. The Surface Pro was my first thought, it's maybe a little bit bulky for pretty basic tasks (80%+ of my time is at the office). I feel like my laptop is too bulky, short battery life, and no touch screen w/ stylus for taking these kinds of notes. Maybe something more lightweight like the Surface Go is also sufficient.

The raw specs kind of come 2nd compared to the portability, and compatibility with everything. I just want it to work, like it being easy to use my phones connection on site when there isn't any WiFi to be able to load things up, ideally be able to connect to our servers on sites, and go through emails to find the right file. And even on the software side of things I wouldn't mind some advice, if anyone has experience with professional focused software for overlaying additional information on PDF's, making some basic sketches to explain concepts, etc. Maybe Android is more suitable, more apps, and it's more simple... It has pretty good compatibility with Office 365, One Drive, and Outlook.

Any thoughts about good potential solutions for my use case would be much appreciated!
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Deleted User 173346
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
16169 Posts
February 01 2022 19:37 GMT
#14659
--- Nuked ---
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12009 Posts
February 01 2022 20:20 GMT
#14660
Check the PSU, it should tell you what voltages it can use. Either on the PSU itself, or if you look your PSU up online. You may have to flick a switch somewhere, or it may do that automatically, or it may not be compatible. Belgium uses 230V, the US uses 120V afaik.

The wall sockets will almost certainly not fit your US plugs, but you can simply buy a new cable for that, that should be the least of your problems.

Worst case you would need to swap your PSU if they really don't work with voltage.

Also, congratulations on getting that move going!
Prev 1 731 732 733 734 735 746 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 318
UpATreeSC 77
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1434
actioN 455
BeSt 212
Dewaltoss 186
firebathero 95
Zeus 68
Trap 39
Sexy 27
zelot 26
soO 25
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 23
JYJ 20
Shine 17
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7436
qojqva2120
Dendi822
420jenkins159
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1064
Fnx 766
x6flipin430
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6150
crisheroes5211
Liquid`Hasu669
Other Games
Beastyqt679
B2W.Neo631
ceh9500
byalli388
ArmadaUGS165
KnowMe154
C9.Mang0138
Khaldor133
TKL 114
BRAT_OK 76
Trikslyr61
Railgan13
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV263
BasetradeTV219
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream122
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH309
• StrangeGG 53
• Reevou 5
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 46
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• blackmanpl 17
• FirePhoenix10
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV447
League of Legends
• Nemesis3830
• TFBlade989
Other Games
• Shiphtur331
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 13m
Kung Fu Cup
17h 13m
Stellar Fest
19h 13m
The PondCast
1d 16h
OSC
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.