• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:53
CEST 10:53
KST 17:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9774 users

Diablo 2 Expansion Install Not Working

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
mcmartini
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Australia1972 Posts
September 20 2011 08:20 GMT
#1
Hi guys,

So I recently read this thread : http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=260390 and it got me wanting to play some D2 again. Anyway I could only find my LOD (Expansion) disk and not the original D2 install disk so seeing as I had registered it with my bnet account decided I would use the downloadable version.

I downloaded the install files to my secondary drive, (not windows drive), and installed everything just fine however upon trying to install the expansion via CD it is informing me that I have not installed Diablo 2.

I searched quickly through the tech support threads at blizzard and couldn't find any solutions related to my problem. I figured it may be because it wasn't installed to the general C:/Programs/Diablo 2 folder, instead I installed it as mentioned previously to a secondary drive. So I tried to copy the contents of the CD to said drive and see if it worked but it's a no go.

Cheers for any help
I just want to say I have 370 APM - Liquid'Tyler SotG 14-12-2011 "I mean it's too bad you can't be paid to be, you know, a chicken shit fucking whiny bitch on the internet or we would have lots of rich community members" Nick "Tasteless" Plott
bgx
Profile Joined August 2010
Poland6595 Posts
September 20 2011 08:23 GMT
#2
hi, i assume you are running vista/w7? Try running install as administrator (right click on setup -->run as admin.)
Stork[gm]
mcmartini
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Australia1972 Posts
September 20 2011 08:25 GMT
#3
On September 20 2011 17:23 bgx wrote:
hi, i assume you are running vista/w7? Try running install as administrator (right click on setup -->run as admin.)


Yep win 7 64bit, and I have tried this to no avail, sorry should have mentioned in the OP.
I just want to say I have 370 APM - Liquid'Tyler SotG 14-12-2011 "I mean it's too bad you can't be paid to be, you know, a chicken shit fucking whiny bitch on the internet or we would have lots of rich community members" Nick "Tasteless" Plott
ArhK
Profile Joined July 2007
France287 Posts
September 20 2011 08:47 GMT
#4
Apparently they have revamped the way Diablo 2 is installed for recent OS, I suggest you to log in to Battle.Net, add in your keys for Diablo 2 and LoD, and you will be able to download the "new" version of the game.

I had the same kind of problem with windows 7x64 and this solved it.
mcmartini
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Australia1972 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-20 08:52:30
September 20 2011 08:51 GMT
#5
On September 20 2011 17:47 ArhK wrote:
Apparently they have revamped the way Diablo 2 is installed for recent OS, I suggest you to log in to Battle.Net, add in your keys for Diablo 2 and LoD, and you will be able to download the "new" version of the game.

I had the same kind of problem with windows 7x64 and this solved it.


Yeah I just tried to unistall and reinstall on my main drive with the same error, this is the exact thing i was trying to avoid as I don't want to spend another 1Gb or so downloading the expansion when i have the disk right here oh well Cheers for the info Arhk, nice to know it's not just me!

Edit: Seeing as I already have the Diablo 2 digital installer what is the go with installing the expansion must they be in the same directory or anything silly like that?
I just want to say I have 370 APM - Liquid'Tyler SotG 14-12-2011 "I mean it's too bad you can't be paid to be, you know, a chicken shit fucking whiny bitch on the internet or we would have lots of rich community members" Nick "Tasteless" Plott
gruff
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden2276 Posts
September 20 2011 08:58 GMT
#6
If you have win 7 pro or ultimate you could probably install and use it in XP mode.
cpc
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia126 Posts
September 20 2011 09:50 GMT
#7
On September 20 2011 17:58 gruff wrote:
If you have win 7 pro or ultimate you could probably install and use it in XP mode.


nah this won't help because according to other posts the digital install for d2 is different. There isn't a compatibility problem with the installer on the cd anyway so using xp mode wont do anything useful.
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
September 20 2011 10:00 GMT
#8
On September 20 2011 17:58 gruff wrote:
If you have win 7 pro or ultimate you could probably install and use it in XP mode.


lol i bet you hvae never tried using XP mode. It is a pain in the ass and completely unnecessary. D2 works fine on W7.

OP have you tried installing D2 vanilla in default C:\Program Files and then installing D2 exp from disk?
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
gruff
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden2276 Posts
September 20 2011 10:22 GMT
#9
@cpc Ah sorry I wasn't reading his post correctly. I though it was a different problem.

@writer22816 I haven't used it much but if works for certain things. You are probably right that it's not a good option in most cases though.

Carry on.
ArhK
Profile Joined July 2007
France287 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-20 11:01:34
September 20 2011 10:56 GMT
#10
On September 20 2011 17:51 mcmartini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 17:47 ArhK wrote:
Apparently they have revamped the way Diablo 2 is installed for recent OS, I suggest you to log in to Battle.Net, add in your keys for Diablo 2 and LoD, and you will be able to download the "new" version of the game.

I had the same kind of problem with windows 7x64 and this solved it.


Yeah I just tried to unistall and reinstall on my main drive with the same error, this is the exact thing i was trying to avoid as I don't want to spend another 1Gb or so downloading the expansion when i have the disk right here oh well Cheers for the info Arhk, nice to know it's not just me!

Edit: Seeing as I already have the Diablo 2 digital installer what is the go with installing the expansion must they be in the same directory or anything silly like that?


Yes, basically it works like that :
You need to download Diablo 2 Bnet Downloader, and LoD Bnet Downloader. Feel free to save them whenever you want on your harddrive. Launch both of the downloader, and when asked to save the content of the download, choose wherever you want.

Once you have finished the download, just install diablo 2, then LoD. These new installer have most of the patchs embedded so you won't have to manually download everything in case the first patch from ingame battle net crashes.

Hope that helps !
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 141
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 942
Larva 628
ggaemo 617
Mind 575
Stork 319
Leta 177
PianO 138
Killer 43
Hyuk 28
Bale 24
[ Show more ]
ZergMaN 22
yabsab 20
Bisu 10
Dota 2
XcaliburYe103
League of Legends
JimRising 393
Reynor99
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1148
Other Games
summit1g11113
C9.Mang0240
Sick208
Mew2King150
ArmadaUGS71
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick545
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream198
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2342
League of Legends
• Stunt1316
• Jankos1095
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
1h 7m
Online Event
2h 7m
FEL
7h 7m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 7m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 7m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.