• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:57
CEST 19:57
KST 02:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9940 users

Gmail Problems?

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
October 22 2010 04:47 GMT
#1
Today, I noticed that Gmail was down for quite a while. Earlier today, I was unable to log in for at least half an hour, could have been longer.

Just about twenty minutes ago, I tried to log in tonight. It said there was suspicious activity on my account, etc... and it needed to verify me VIA text message or some garbage.

Now I am, in all honesty, quite suspicious of big companies data mining- etc... so I was very reluctant to send them my phone number, though I eventually did. Trying to "personally contact" a company like Google, without access to my primary email, for what would probably be a couple of days, did not sound very appealing to me. I got the text message and entered my account fine.

Upon entering, I found that a couple advertisement emails were sent to everyone on my friends list. Though, my #1 suspicion is still Google twisting my arm to get my phone number, both to get info and to limit me to 1 account (at some point they implemented a phone verification system to limit the number of accounts that one can make.)

My question is if anyone has recently had the same problem with their Gmail account. Because, like I said, I am first and foremost suspicious of Google itself.

I am very good with my anti virus scans, keeping a clean internet cache, scanning for mal-ware and use Spy-Bot every day. I've NEVER had a problem with any of my game, email or bank accounts up until today... which is part of the reason that I raged so hard... because I put a lot of thought into these things.

Now the bastards got meh number, and I have to go reset all my passwords to everything because that is the smart thing to do, after scanning with all my AV programs right now.

Any feedback is welcome, Thank You.
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
ramen-
Profile Joined September 2009
90 Posts
October 22 2010 05:07 GMT
#2
I'm not clear on what you're saying, but you think google used your account to send your friends advertisement emails? If google wanted to spam your friends with advertisements, they wouldn't need to tell you someone messed with your account.

If you're super suspicious of big companies snooping your data, you should disconnect your internet, since all of your traffic flows over their routers, and they can sniff it without sending you any warnings about suspicious behavior.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-22 05:10:30
October 22 2010 05:09 GMT
#3
Not sure what time of day you couldn't log on but I didn't experience an outage today. You know you can see which IP address logged onto the account if you click Details at the very bottom of the page.

Why not go back to hotmail or yahoo if you are so paranoid of google?

I've never been forced by them to have a phone tied to my accounts but I actually find their phone verification feature a welcomed feature if one would ever lose access to their accounts.
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-22 05:12:40
October 22 2010 05:10 GMT
#4
My point is, possibly they temporarily close accounts that don't have Phone Numbers attached, to force the users send in a phone number to re-open it. The emails sent really doesn't tell me much.

Also, the access is a problem. I'm pretty sure whoever it was didn't gain access from my end.

edit: Skyr, thanks for the info. It was about 1pm PST. First off, I'd be generally suspicious of anyone and 2... I really had no reasons to worry about Google until today. It's all I could imagine as the scenario as I was locked out and they "needed my cell number" to get me back in. o.O
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
October 22 2010 05:45 GMT
#5
Mine's been working perfect like it always has been. The cell phone number thing is pretty odd, I've never heard of a legitimate company/site use those means to verify an account.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
Psiven
Profile Joined May 2010
United States148 Posts
October 22 2010 06:29 GMT
#6
It seems quite clear that your account was locked out because it was compromised by someone who sent out advertisements to your contacts. Even if you're quite diligent, that's far more likely than Google perpetrating a phone number scam and sending out fake spam to cover it up.
Wolf
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Korea (South)3290 Posts
October 22 2010 06:29 GMT
#7
I had some issues logging in earlier, but they went away eventually.
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/proxywolf
TL+ Member
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-22 07:05:12
October 22 2010 07:04 GMT
#8
Thank you guys, ya it looked like the server was busted earlier- but it seemed to coincidental that it happened today...

Grobyc... ya... when I made my Gmail accounts... they didn't require a phone Text. But now, ANY new Gmail account you open will want to Text a number to Verify your account, and only one can be made per number.

I first encountered this at work, helping someone make a Gmail account. I couldn't believe it was the standard, but I've encountered it each time since as well. I guess its obviously an attempt to limit the accounts made, hopefully not to farm up phone numbers.

This thread is, basically, a way to check if this has happened to other people who don't have Numbers attached to their accounts... to determine if it's regular in anyway. I understand it's unlikely, but I wanted to check with anyone who would respond at TL.

Still don't know how my account got compromised but, meh, what are you gonna do.

Thank you.
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
judi037
Profile Joined October 2019
1 Post
Last Edited: 2019-10-30 12:21:48
October 30 2019 12:21 GMT
#9
Bot edit.

User was banned for this post.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem493
IndyStarCraft 234
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 493
IndyStarCraft 234
Railgan 81
BRAT_OK 55
JuggernautJason10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16625
BeSt 396
Soma 185
Mini 165
Dewaltoss 129
Mind 92
hero 69
Zeus 44
Hyun 39
Bale 25
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 25
Rock 18
NaDa 18
PianO 17
Sacsri 4
Dota 2
Gorgc4850
qojqva2922
Dendi1502
420jenkins462
Counter-Strike
fl0m4099
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5109
Khaldor1262
Liquid`Hasu1059
MindelVK9
Other Games
FrodaN1701
B2W.Neo931
byalli444
ArmadaUGS185
Hui .170
QueenE84
Mew2King51
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1164
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
StarCraft 2
angryscii 11
Other Games
BasetradeTV6
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 30
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 41
• blackmanpl 21
• FirePhoenix5
• niya90s1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3950
League of Legends
• Nemesis2406
Other Games
• imaqtpie649
• Shiphtur283
• WagamamaTV216
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 3m
Replay Cast
5h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 3m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
17h 3m
Monday Night Weeklies
22h 3m
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 17h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.