• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:17
CEST 07:17
KST 14:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10710 users

A Journey to Reach Grandmaster? Is it possible?

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
FaZiNaTe
Profile Joined August 2009
Germany290 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-08 16:26:47
October 01 2020 15:59 GMT
#1
Hey lovely Starcraft Community,

At this moment, i am focusing on work - projects. At the same time, I found my passion to play RTS games again. I have been playing Command & Conquer starting with 13 and winning my first big offline lan events with 18. Later I started to play the Starcraft 2 Beta. I was quite good and played against White Ra, and other top tier players. Well most of the times I lost haha. And back in the days I was very "immature" :D

Back in the Beta was no Grandmaster to be introduced yet. I was never in one and I would feel very excited to do my best to reach higher master or even GM level of Protoss play in EU Ladder the next seasons to come. I installed SC2 and play the 10 free days of matches now to be able to start ranked 1v1 games.

The downside is - i did not play any games for 7 years + as I focussed on business and investing. I never played the two add ons of Starcraft 2.

Since a week, I began to play some games and it is very exciting. I am also guiding and blogging about the mindset of humans and how to change our behaviors. I know my conditioning in Starcraft 2 is really bad to reach GM - so i have to change my whole Game - Play.

Who would be interested to get updates from time to time? I could think about doing a blog in English, which I post a weekly update. Also while playing, i may be open to stream Twitch.

Anyway thanks for reading those words. I am 30 years now - a lot of people mention that it is not possible to reach those ambitious goals at this age, while having a full time job and family. I would love to prove people not "wrong" however I would love to show our humans full potential.

All the best - Dominik , on the ladder now DENEB should I ever reach GM, that would be super exciting and I would have loved to help a lot on the path to their better gameplay and personality expansion.

Let me know your thoughts - and ideas

UPDATE: I started streaming my Games on: https://www.twitch.tv/fazinate
Watch my rise or fall, rage and fun commentaryand more - like GSL commentary of Games to analyze and more.
twitch.com/fazinate
Cpt.beefy
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Ireland799 Posts
October 01 2020 18:35 GMT
#2
Best of luck!
Our Beloved Geoff "inControl" Robinson.
[Phantom]
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
Mexico2170 Posts
October 01 2020 18:46 GMT
#3
Wish you luck. What's your current league? I'm diamond so if you are below that or the same maybe you could share your friend code and we could practice.

If you played against pros maybe you'll be able to make it. GM is not for everyone. I know for example that no matter how much I try I will never get GM, I'm too inconsistent in my play for that, but that doesn't mean I won't stop trying getting at least to master.

GL!
WriterTeamLiquid Staff writer since 2014 @Mortal_Phantom
Mverdo
Profile Joined November 2019
24 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-01 19:51:32
October 01 2020 19:46 GMT
#4
I'm in a similar situation (except that I don't aim for GM).
I wish you all the best and would be interested in following your journey.

Also, if you want to practice you can always share your friend code, I was EU diamond 3 last season.
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
October 01 2020 21:32 GMT
#5
Anything is possible. Just convince yourself you can do it.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
FaZiNaTe
Profile Joined August 2009
Germany290 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-01 21:41:04
October 01 2020 21:40 GMT
#6
On October 02 2020 03:46 [Phantom] wrote:
Wish you luck. What's your current league? I'm diamond so if you are below that or the same maybe you could share your friend code and we could practice.

If you played against pros maybe you'll be able to make it. GM is not for everyone. I know for example that no matter how much I try I will never get GM, I'm too inconsistent in my play for that, but that doesn't mean I won't stop trying getting at least to master.

GL!


I have not been in a league 1v1 yet - only 2v2. 1v1 ladder is still 5 days of games away because my account is new. Sure you can add me here - Deneb#21122
twitch.com/fazinate
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27406 Posts
October 01 2020 22:10 GMT
#7
Best of luck man, there’s a blog section here which would be a good way to chronicle your adventures.

What age are you? I’m nearly 31 and it’s been 7 years since I’ve properly laddered, really want to get playing again so perhaps we could compete :p
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
NewModel
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany124 Posts
October 02 2020 00:15 GMT
#8
Best Of luck, whould like to read a Blog of you. Had to google your name, because i didn´t remembered it completle but instantly found a game of you vs satinii casted from khaldor. <3 good old german esl times
SamirDuran
Profile Joined May 2012
Philippines895 Posts
October 02 2020 00:25 GMT
#9
everything's possible man. Just imagine DRG getting to semifinals of GSL and NaDa qualifying ASL.
Don't practice until you can get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.
BronzeKnee
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5226 Posts
October 02 2020 00:31 GMT
#10
It's obviously impossible to reach GM, no one has ever made it...

Except those that think they can.
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1961 Posts
October 02 2020 00:38 GMT
#11
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10861 Posts
October 02 2020 03:09 GMT
#12
Anything is possible if you set your mind to it. I haven't played SC2 in years, but I imagine EU / KR is still more difficult than NA GM, not sure though. You can do it either way though!
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
esReveR
Profile Joined February 2010
United States568 Posts
October 02 2020 03:55 GMT
#13
As long as you are committed to improving and put the time and effort in, nothing is impossible.
Skill is relative.
jimminy_kriket
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Canada5542 Posts
October 02 2020 04:31 GMT
#14
I would be interested in following updates. I'm 31 so it interests me in seeing how good you become.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
ytherik
Profile Joined July 2020
199 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-02 09:40:59
October 02 2020 09:25 GMT
#15
32 years here and recently commited to reach Masters for the first time. currently stuck at D2/D1 for a few months though. feeling like i hit a hard wall, even though i practice every day. having time to play only at nights doesn’t help either. but not giving up yet! would be nice to follow updates from you dude!
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8194 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-02 09:45:17
October 02 2020 09:42 GMT
#16
I'd say - and that's valid for every game / activity - most people try to improve by just playing a lot. That only gets you so far. To become good at something - whether it's chess, poker, SC2, playing an instrument, dancing, whatever - you must study and isolate the elements you need to work on.

The problem with fixed goals especially on ladders is that it makes you focus on winning instead of making you focus on improving.

So my two pieces of advice would be: don't try all the time to get higher on ladder and spend a big portion of your time studying replays, practicing your mechanics, learning builds orders until they are absolutely immaculate, and so on. And from my experience in my domain of activity (I'm a musician) I would recommend spending far more time practicing than playing.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
LHK
Profile Joined May 2015
204 Posts
October 02 2020 10:05 GMT
#17
I am a 31 year old woman (well, 31 in november :D) and I am occasionally GM (4.9-5.3k range). I don't think age has a lot to do with it. I may not be as fast as I was 10 years ago but I have a lot more experience to go off of. Heck, White-Ra is 39 or 40 IIRC and when he comes back for a few days he hovers right below GM just fine.

It isn't impossible by any means. Just gotta work at it.
-Laura
FaZiNaTe
Profile Joined August 2009
Germany290 Posts
October 02 2020 11:38 GMT
#18
On October 02 2020 07:10 WombaT wrote:
Best of luck man, there’s a blog section here which would be a good way to chronicle your adventures.

What age are you? I’m nearly 31 and it’s been 7 years since I’ve properly laddered, really want to get playing again so perhaps we could compete :p


Wow thats fantastic! I am 30 and similar situation to you. Sure lets keep updated
twitch.com/fazinate
FaZiNaTe
Profile Joined August 2009
Germany290 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-02 11:50:46
October 02 2020 11:49 GMT
#19
On October 02 2020 18:42 Biff The Understudy wrote:
I'd say - and that's valid for every game / activity - most people try to improve by just playing a lot. That only gets you so far. To become good at something - whether it's chess, poker, SC2, playing an instrument, dancing, whatever - you must study and isolate the elements you need to work on.

The problem with fixed goals especially on ladders is that it makes you focus on winning instead of making you focus on improving.

So my two pieces of advice would be: don't try all the time to get higher on ladder and spend a big portion of your time studying replays, practicing your mechanics, learning builds orders until they are absolutely immaculate, and so on. And from my experience in my domain of activity (I'm a musician) I would recommend spending far more time practicing than playing.


Thanks a lot! I am super happy that i was able to re'activate my Twitch Account. And since I am very deep into mindset, emotions and mentality from my works perspective as a blogger and from life's experience, I will include the mental aspect a lot in my play/stream. At the same time, I would guide and provide insides of how I improve - step by step.

I feel quite motivated to start streaming in some days. Currently waiting for my new equipment to arrive, should be some days for my laptop - keyboard and monitor to arrive. I also have to test if my "upload" rate is high enough to stream fluidly.

Will keep you updated all thanks so far for this great feedback!
twitch.com/fazinate
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27406 Posts
October 02 2020 12:02 GMT
#20
On October 02 2020 20:38 FaZiNaTe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2020 07:10 WombaT wrote:
Best of luck man, there’s a blog section here which would be a good way to chronicle your adventures.

What age are you? I’m nearly 31 and it’s been 7 years since I’ve properly laddered, really want to get playing again so perhaps we could compete :p


Wow thats fantastic! I am 30 and similar situation to you. Sure lets keep updated

Will do my man, degree number 2 is currently kicking my ass and delaying my return to Starcraft but soon I’ll hopefully be cataloguing my return
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings139
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 171
StarCraft: Brood War
hero 321
soO 242
BeSt 227
sorry 45
Mind 29
Bale 18
Terrorterran 17
yabsab 9
ZergMaN 9
Noble 8
[ Show more ]
Icarus 7
Dota 2
monkeys_forever845
League of Legends
JimRising 691
Counter-Strike
taco 384
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King166
Other Games
summit1g9595
Maynarde200
RuFF_SC2104
ArmadaUGS40
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick500
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH351
• Hupsaiya 107
• practicex 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2155
League of Legends
• Rush1181
• Stunt339
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 43m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
5h 43m
Monday Night Weeklies
10h 43m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 18h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.