• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:58
CEST 19:58
KST 02:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8733 users

Greatest Rivalries of SC2: NaNiwa vs ThorZain - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
78 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
December 16 2015 16:23 GMT
#61
On December 16 2015 23:12 travis wrote:
I can't remember which game it was, but there was some game in the TSL that Thorzain played that was a tvp that was just like one of the most epic sc2 games of all time. It was so long ago, I can't even remember what happened. All I remember is that it was really really exciting.

Was it a tvp vs MC ?


Almost certainly g4 Thorzain vs MC on whirlwind
Moderator
Rioo
Profile Joined May 2012
46 Posts
December 16 2015 17:30 GMT
#62
Oh man this brings back memories. Back then I was a big fan of them both, Thorzain for being the terran hope and inspiration when I was still playing a lot, and Naniwa for his skill and determination. Can't remember who I rooted for when they played though.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
December 16 2015 18:01 GMT
#63
But when it came down to the finals, he’d freeze up, choke, lose focus and start crumbling under the pressure.


A little harsh lol. Their TSL3 meeting was the one of my favorite foreigner moments.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
darthfoley
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States8004 Posts
December 16 2015 20:22 GMT
#64
Thorzain in TSL3 was the definition of a miracle run
watch the wall collide with my fist, mostly over problems that i know i should fix
ensign_lee
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1178 Posts
December 16 2015 20:25 GMT
#65
Great article, with a great writing style. thanks for this!
vult
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States9400 Posts
December 16 2015 20:51 GMT
#66
I miss Thorzain so much, he was such a tactical genius. I wish he could come back and play, but I don't see that happening unfortunately. I am loving these articles lately.
I used to play random, but for you I play very specifically.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-16 21:05:03
December 16 2015 21:04 GMT
#67
TSL3 was such an amazing tournament. Great memories. I remember going crazy during the finals.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Zetter
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany629 Posts
December 16 2015 21:14 GMT
#68
On December 17 2015 01:23 stuchiu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 16 2015 23:12 travis wrote:
I can't remember which game it was, but there was some game in the TSL that Thorzain played that was a tvp that was just like one of the most epic sc2 games of all time. It was so long ago, I can't even remember what happened. All I remember is that it was really really exciting.

Was it a tvp vs MC ?


Almost certainly g4 Thorzain vs MC on whirlwind


You mean Tal'darim Altar.
Mendici sumus. Hoc est verum. | I don't mind straight people, as long as they act gay in public. | Es ist keine Tugend edel geboren werden, sondern sich edel machen | οἶδα οὐκ εἰδώς
Enstein
Profile Joined April 2013
Russian Federation134 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-16 21:32:00
December 16 2015 21:30 GMT
#69
In my heart ThorZaIN will always be the one and only true King of the North.

I also remember his all-kill of Quantic-Incredible Miracle in the first series of the Grand Final of IPL Team Arena Challenge 1. Mousesports finished 2nd after beating SlayerS and Col.MVP http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/IPL_Team_Arena_Challenge/1

Rooting for MaNa, Snute and Bunny. Europe holds!
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
December 16 2015 21:31 GMT
#70
On December 17 2015 06:14 Zetter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2015 01:23 stuchiu wrote:
On December 16 2015 23:12 travis wrote:
I can't remember which game it was, but there was some game in the TSL that Thorzain played that was a tvp that was just like one of the most epic sc2 games of all time. It was so long ago, I can't even remember what happened. All I remember is that it was really really exciting.

Was it a tvp vs MC ?


Almost certainly g4 Thorzain vs MC on whirlwind


You mean Tal'darim Altar.


Right, that one.
Moderator
nimdil
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland3773 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-16 23:16:06
December 16 2015 23:15 GMT
#71
If it was supposed to be GoT reference, shouldn't it be King in the North?
nimdil
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland3773 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-16 23:21:32
December 16 2015 23:18 GMT
#72
Also NaNiwa should have MLG Global Invitational listed. Winning Bo3 against Mvp and Nestea is no small feat.

EDIT: I guess MLG Global Invitaitional is against the narrative. But hey - it's only premier title with top 2 Koreans of 2011. Not to mention Ret, Jinro and White-Ra in eurosegment.
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-16 23:22:32
December 16 2015 23:21 GMT
#73
On December 17 2015 01:23 stuchiu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 16 2015 23:12 travis wrote:
I can't remember which game it was, but there was some game in the TSL that Thorzain played that was a tvp that was just like one of the most epic sc2 games of all time. It was so long ago, I can't even remember what happened. All I remember is that it was really really exciting.

Was it a tvp vs MC ?


Almost certainly g4 Thorzain vs MC on whirlwind


Tal Darim Altar I think the map was called back then. ^^

But yeh, prior to that TvP was considered unbeatable late game, but Thorzain showed what terran could do with lots of Ghost which let him win an engagement where he was behind.
igay
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Australia1178 Posts
December 17 2015 01:34 GMT
#74
The good old days
MVP <3 MKP <3 DRG <3
AxionSteel
Profile Joined January 2011
United States7754 Posts
December 17 2015 16:57 GMT
#75
TSL3 was such an awesome tournament. From the qualifiers, wondering who'd run the gauntlet each qualifier to make it, to the points, seeing who'd get enough points to make it that way, to the tournament which was so epic. I remember not knowing much about ThorZaIN when he won his qualifier, and he was considered by most to be such a huge underdog before demolishing fruitdealer, heck he was probably considered an underdog against hapless NonY in round 2 Lol.
NaNiwa could win as much as he likes afterwords, but losing this series against ThorZaIN is something he'd probably always remember.
messioso
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark635 Posts
December 18 2015 03:40 GMT
#76
Miss them both
Former ESL League Operations. I ran IEM/WCS for like 3 years or something. I did map vetos on a tablet. That guy.
Madars
Profile Joined December 2011
Latvia166 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-18 11:22:48
December 18 2015 11:21 GMT
#77
On December 16 2015 13:35 forsooth wrote:
Thorzain's style was the most aggravating thing in the world to watch. I've never seen a more determinedly passive player.

Thorzain the king of spoons.
Didn't even know that between these two was a special rivalry.
<3 Alexis Eusebio, Lee Shin Hyung, Choi Seong Hun, Joo Sung Wook, Jang Min Chul, Kim Yoo Jin, Lee Young Ho, Lee Shin Hyung, Yun Young Seo, Kim Joon Ho, Jeong Jong Hyeon, Eo Yoon Su, Johan Lucchesi, Ilyes Satouri
nimdil
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland3773 Posts
December 19 2015 07:47 GMT
#78
On December 18 2015 20:21 Madars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 16 2015 13:35 forsooth wrote:
Thorzain's style was the most aggravating thing in the world to watch. I've never seen a more determinedly passive player.

Thorzain the king of spoons.
Didn't even know that between these two was a special rivalry.

I wonder if we get article about MaNa and Nerchio as well.
Xoronius
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany6362 Posts
December 27 2015 01:18 GMT
#79
On December 19 2015 16:47 nimdil wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2015 20:21 Madars wrote:
On December 16 2015 13:35 forsooth wrote:
Thorzain's style was the most aggravating thing in the world to watch. I've never seen a more determinedly passive player.

Thorzain the king of spoons.
Didn't even know that between these two was a special rivalry.

I wonder if we get article about MaNa and Nerchio as well.

It isn't as good of a rivalry, Nerchio is ahead by a lot in direct comparism (65-29 in maps, 26-8 in matches). MaNa's vZ was historically always his worst MU, while Nerchio never had really weak ZvP.

ThorZaIN vs Naniwa was always exciting; Nerchio vs MaNa was a lot more one-sided, even when MaNa was the better vP/vT-player at certain times.
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 383
UpATreeSC 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1185
actioN 472
BeSt 208
Dewaltoss 145
firebathero 98
Zeus 71
Trap 36
zelot 27
soO 27
ToSsGirL 24
[ Show more ]
Sexy 23
Bale 22
JYJ 21
Shine 19
NaDa 9
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7294
qojqva2135
Dendi746
420jenkins157
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1168
Fnx 727
x6flipin361
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6544
crisheroes5077
Liquid`Hasu773
Other Games
Beastyqt733
B2W.Neo592
ceh9506
byalli344
KnowMe176
ArmadaUGS162
C9.Mang0148
Khaldor133
TKL 116
BRAT_OK 79
Trikslyr54
Railgan10
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV267
BasetradeTV191
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream137
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH309
• StrangeGG 61
• Reevou 6
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 43
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• blackmanpl 19
• FirePhoenix13
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV408
League of Legends
• Nemesis3758
• TFBlade964
Other Games
• Shiphtur342
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 2m
Kung Fu Cup
17h 2m
Stellar Fest
19h 2m
The PondCast
1d 16h
OSC
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.