• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:22
CEST 06:22
KST 13:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10867 users

FXO.Choya retires as a player

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Acronysis
Profile Joined November 2011
872 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-23 04:28:07
February 23 2013 04:25 GMT
#1
Didn't see a thread on this yet, and thought it was worth noting.

Although Choya already referenced it in his GSTL preseason interview, he gave out an official statement stating his retirement from SC2 as a player.

He said the following:

Hello, this is FXO's playing coach, Choya

For a very long time, I talked with my players and have finally come to a decision. Although I never excelled as a progamer, I have no regrets since I gave it my best. After the current GSTL preseason, I plan to retire as a player.

It may be because I tried to do two things at once but I realise that I am deficient in many aspects and I have always listened to feedback from the fans to try and fix some of those things. However, I can truly say the 2 years and 6 months I spent as a progamer were more worthwhile and fulfilling than the rest of my life combined. Although I will no longer be able to stand before you as a progamer, I plan to focus all my energy on coaching to help the team improve and move forward.

There are many things I wanted to achieve before making this decision but I wanted to thank all the fans who supported me and in fact, my match in FXO vs Prime was actually my retirement game.

Being able to retire after beating MKP feels fantastic, I have to say. I will forever be 1-0 against MKP. He has to live with this fact. Also, I want to thank all the players and coaches Supreme and Hell for supporting me in my dual role as a playing coach.

I would also like to thank all the ESF directors, Chairperson Lee, Jun Ho and everyone else I met along the way for leading me in the right direction despite the fact that I am so young and inexperienced for taking on a dual role.

Now, I start a new chapter of my life as not a playing coach but a fulltime coach. I humbly ask you to continue supporting our team. The 2 years and 6 months I spent as a player were truly the happiest time for me. Thank you so much for all the support over the years!


source: http://twtkr.olleh.com/view.php?long_id=L1TNWW

Sad to see him go as a player, but not a bad way to exit either
The multiplying villanies of man do swarm upon him.
Disengaged
Profile Joined July 2010
United States6994 Posts
February 23 2013 04:27 GMT
#2
Not surprising.
EyesOnMe
Profile Joined February 2013
57 Posts
February 23 2013 04:27 GMT
#3
Does he have a grudge against MKP or is it just a friendly joke?
Gorilla23
Profile Joined March 2012
United States339 Posts
February 23 2013 04:29 GMT
#4
On February 23 2013 13:27 EyesOnMe wrote:
Does he have a grudge against MKP or is it just a friendly joke?


Definitely friendly joke.
RiceAgainst
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States1849 Posts
February 23 2013 04:29 GMT
#5
Aww, he was such a boss though. If only he took the UWC title and then retired, imagine how funny that would've been!
Antoine
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States7481 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-23 04:30:21
February 23 2013 04:30 GMT
#6
I remember back at the very beginning of WoL, even at the end of beta, Choya was incredibly dedicated compared to a lot of other players. If I popped on Gisado's stream for an hour, there was a great chance he'd be playing for at least a few games. When the top 200 lists started to come out, not only was he up there, but he had ridiculous amounts of ladder games. A really hard-working guy, for whom it never fully worked out, but he did a great job as a player-coach and I wish him the best of luck as a full time coach.
ModeratorFlash Sea Action Snow Midas | TheStC Ret Tyler MC | RIP 우정호
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37117 Posts
February 23 2013 04:31 GMT
#7
T-T....

Thank you for everything FXOChoya (Player)
Continue being the baller that you are FXOChoya! (Coach)
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
FrostedMiniWheats
Profile Joined August 2010
United States30730 Posts
February 23 2013 04:32 GMT
#8
nooooooooo D:

I always liked when Choya sent himself out and got a few wins. He was one of the few players I can forgive for being a cheesy bastard because he wasn't a full-time player ;;
NesTea | Mvp | MC | Leenock | Losira | Gumiho | DRG | Taeja | Jinro | Stephano | Thorzain | Sen | Idra |Polt | Bomber | Symbol | Squirtle | Fantasy | Jaedong | Maru | sOs | Seed | ByuN | ByuL | Neeb| Scarlett | Rogue | IM forever
Acronysis
Profile Joined November 2011
872 Posts
February 23 2013 04:32 GMT
#9
On February 23 2013 13:30 Antoine wrote:
I remember back at the very beginning of WoL, even at the end of beta, Choya was incredibly dedicated compared to a lot of other players. If I popped on Gisado's stream for an hour, there was a great chance he'd be playing for at least a few games. When the top 200 lists started to come out, not only was he up there, but he had ridiculous amounts of ladder games. A really hard-working guy, for whom it never fully worked out, but he did a great job as a player-coach and I wish him the best of luck as a full time coach.


It's amazing how much he was still able to accomplish as a player-coach in the GSTL. A really interesting interaction for sure - to see when he would send himself out over others and actually take some games!
The multiplying villanies of man do swarm upon him.
Jaeger
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1150 Posts
February 23 2013 04:34 GMT
#10
Choya is awesome
https://www.dotabuff.com/players/8137911
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-23 04:36:11
February 23 2013 04:35 GMT
#11
sucks to hear but he basically said this was going to happen soon in his last interview. I thought he would at least wait until the end of the preseason. Good luck coaching, Choya! FXO is so strong!
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
Conut
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada1026 Posts
February 23 2013 04:36 GMT
#12
"he has to forever live with this fact" that made me laugh so hardddd
Sc2 always got your back
partydude89
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
1850 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-23 04:39:35
February 23 2013 04:39 GMT
#13
well at least hes not swiching to LoL. i'm kidding, but im glad he can give one thing 100% of his time.
#1 Official Hack Fan|#2 Bomber behind Wintex.|Curious|Life|Flash|TY|Cure|Maru|sOs|Jin Air Green Wings fighting!|SBENU Fighting!|
zturchan
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada156 Posts
February 23 2013 04:40 GMT
#14
While not surprising, it's always sad to lose a player nonetheless. Good luck in your coaching endeavors Choya, and to the rest of FXO as well.
hai2u
Profile Joined September 2011
688 Posts
February 23 2013 04:41 GMT
#15
Choya was always a boss!
BronzeKnee
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5226 Posts
February 23 2013 04:47 GMT
#16
I loved Choya. He did whatever it took to win and appeared to worked as hard as anyone at the top. I learned a lot of builds from him and will miss him.
Tachion
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada8573 Posts
February 23 2013 04:48 GMT
#17
I'll miss seeing him as a player. Choya was always such a lively character, from talking to himself in his booth to his great celebrations when he won, you could really see on his face how much he loved to play. I hope he finds the same enjoyment as a coach.
i was driving down the road this november eve and spotted a hitchhiker walking down the street. i pulled over and saw that it was only a tree. i uprooted it and put it in my trunk. do trees like marshmallow peeps? cause that's all i have and will have.
IhateBunkers
Profile Joined December 2011
New Zealand78 Posts
February 23 2013 04:55 GMT
#18
I remember when he sent himself out against Ryung after Oz lost and then actually took him and MMA out two put FXO ahead, that was when he gained my respect despite his build order choice.

FXO Choya for ever a total Baller!
Leenock------SuperNova------HerO------YongHwa
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-23 04:59:19
February 23 2013 04:59 GMT
#19
Imho fxo already had the best coaches, I wonder how teams will compete with an even stronger coaching line up now?
MirageTaN
Profile Joined June 2012
Singapore871 Posts
February 23 2013 05:00 GMT
#20
One of the most impressive people in the entire SC history.Grabbing wins of top players whiling still coaching the 2-time GSTL championship team,FXO.
Enjoyed his time in fOu
#TLWIN TI7, TLDota BEST TL
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings120
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 247
NeuroSwarm 190
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 334
hero 74
BeSt 55
sorry 26
Bale 23
ZergMaN 13
Mind 12
Terrorterran 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1074
League of Legends
JimRising 718
Counter-Strike
taco 438
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King144
Other Games
summit1g9440
Maynarde202
ArmadaUGS37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick510
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 11
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH154
• Hupsaiya 134
• practicex 27
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota274
League of Legends
• Rush1072
• Stunt261
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 38m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
6h 38m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 38m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.