• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:29
CEST 03:29
KST 10:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9288 users

Weekly Aesthetics Challenge - Alien Jungle

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
January 11 2012 15:21 GMT
#1
With the recent map contests such as the IPL Map Contest and the Team Liquid Map Contest (and lets not forget the Map of the Month Organisation here) there has been an increase in activity of the TL custom map forum and an increase in map interest in general, so it's about high time we had a little more community interaction beyond map feedback. IronmanSC has started this off in good fashion with his Map Design Threads.

So I thought I would try kick off some aesthetics exercises for people to show off their artistic skills and for readers to draw some inspiration from (as I have from sc2mapster).

So with out further ado,

Weekly Aesthetics Challenge #1 - Alien Jungle.
For this weeks challenge the idea is to showcase an unusual jungle, and this week's theme should not be taken too seriously. Don't get too focused on the jungle side of things while we're getting started here, so have fun with it! Also it does not need to be a full scale melee map, it can be as simple as a scene or a 76x76 field if need be.

I'll start with some screenshots of my latest map oZz Genesis, which is available on SEA.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
Retired Mapmaker™
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
January 11 2012 18:31 GMT
#2
I have spent a good deal of time trying to create an alien jungle theme. So far I have 3 different types:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


I never went full jungle because I needed to fit the themes into a competitive melee map. If I find the time I´ll try to make some jungled up screens and edit them into this post
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-11 23:58:27
January 11 2012 23:39 GMT
#3
I was actually getting together a concept for a map with an Alien Jungle sort of look. Maybe I'll make something for this as a test for the aesthetics there or maybe the map will be done in time for me to actually use it.

I don't think this is supposed to be a competition, but I think it would be cool if we had polls just to get a good idea of what everyone liked the most to help us all get better. Maybe that ruins the creativity when you start comparing them, though. (Edit: more of an upvote thing would be more appropriate I guess.)
all's fair in love and melodies
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
January 12 2012 03:20 GMT
#4
On January 12 2012 03:31 Johanaz wrote:
I never went full jungle because I needed to fit the themes into a competitive melee map. If I find the time I´ll try to make some jungled up screens and edit them into this post


I always have found it difficult to crate a full jungle theme for a real melee map, because like you said it does need to be playable :3
Retired Mapmaker™
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
January 12 2012 08:14 GMT
#5
On January 12 2012 12:20 eTcetRa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 03:31 Johanaz wrote:
I never went full jungle because I needed to fit the themes into a competitive melee map. If I find the time I´ll try to make some jungled up screens and edit them into this post


I always have found it difficult to crate a full jungle theme for a real melee map, because like you said it does need to be playable :3


Think about all the maps you've made that are playable.

Now think about a full-blown alien-jungle theme added to one of those maps.

You just need to spend the extra time on the aesthetics =)
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 09:17:04
January 12 2012 09:15 GMT
#6
nvm

misread quote


edit: Johanaz wins.
sCnDiamond
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany340 Posts
January 12 2012 12:43 GMT
#7
On January 12 2012 18:15 Samro225am wrote:
edit: Johanaz wins.
I agree. He johanaz'd this contest already ^_^.
formerly spinnaker.
Ferisii
Profile Joined February 2011
Denmark199 Posts
January 12 2012 13:38 GMT
#8
Guess I might aswell throw in my creation(s) of jungle themed maps.
Here's some screens from my map, [M] (4) Sump

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
Author of Cactus Valley RE - My latest map: Para Bellum http://goo.gl/iV90wG
Ragoo
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany2773 Posts
January 12 2012 13:44 GMT
#9
Ver nice idea. I will look if I can design a bit of Alien Jungle when I find the time
Member of TPW mapmaking team/// twitter.com/Ragoo_ /// "goody represents border between explainable reason and supernatural" Cloud
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
January 12 2012 13:45 GMT
#10
Looks to me like johanaz has a challenger, Ferisii has some nice work there!
ihasaKAROT
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4730 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 14:15:49
January 12 2012 14:11 GMT
#11
-edit-

nm , its not alien, its a normal jungle my bad
KCCO!
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
January 12 2012 14:25 GMT
#12
On January 12 2012 22:45 FoxyMayhem wrote:
Looks to me like johanaz has a challenger, Ferisii has some nice work there!


True. That shot of the pond is already in the Best of the Best Gallery in the map art thread
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
January 12 2012 14:30 GMT
#13
Agreed, that river-pond thing is gorgeous!
Retired Mapmaker™
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-14 07:14:07
January 14 2012 07:10 GMT
#14
here's a theme that incorporates stuff from a number of different maps I've made.
Aiur jungle highground with volcanic and smoggy (but thickly vegetated) lowground.

+ Show Spoiler [Antares III] +

[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
The remains of ancient machinery litter the surface of this unstable jungle moon.


+ Show Spoiler [tileset] +

[image loading]
^^^ that should say "tarsonis natural cliffs" instead of "tarsonis manmade cliffs"


and a link to the mapfile (48x48):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15345289/alien_jungle.SC2Map
This is it... the alpaca lips.
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
January 14 2012 09:25 GMT
#15
Thats perfect, exactly what I had in mind with these little challenges.

Looks amazing too!
Retired Mapmaker™
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
January 14 2012 10:27 GMT
#16
looks really great namrufus. too dark for playingm, but that is not the challenge here.
Ruscour
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
5233 Posts
January 14 2012 11:08 GMT
#17
There are SEA mapmakers? WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?

Also, I've been randomly dragged into the "clan oZz" channel heaps of times, what's up with that :-/
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
January 14 2012 11:41 GMT
#18
Probably by Kice or someone else.
Retired Mapmaker™
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings95
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE169
StarCraft: Brood War
Sharp 45
Bale 26
Dota 2
monkeys_forever548
NeuroSwarm209
League of Legends
Doublelift4022
Counter-Strike
taco 483
Other Games
summit1g7097
JimRising 497
C9.Mang0351
ToD87
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick715
BasetradeTV172
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 136
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP88
• poizon28 41
• davetesta27
• Adnapsc2 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra871
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
8h 31m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
10h 31m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 31m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 31m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Patches Events
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.