• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:27
CEST 14:27
KST 21:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10356 users

The Liquid Weekly #30

Forum Index > News
123 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All

The Liquid Weekly #30

Text byriptide
Graphics byKennigit
March 7th, 2011 06:54 GMT

TSL incoming!

[image loading]
Quick Links

Liquid` Sightings

TSL Time
Liquid speaks.

Retroactive
Ret is back, back to Europe.

Banelings, Woah?



Liquid`HuK in GSL Code A Ro8 - Today, 7th March 2011


In just a few hours, Liquid enters the GSL Ro8 in the form of Canadian-American Protoss Chris "Liquid`HuK" Loranger. The lone Liquidian in the quarter finals of this month's GSL, HuK is now tasked with avenging the untimely demise of his teammate Jinro, his comrade who fell in the Code S Ro16. [More]

Liquid`Ret Moves Back to Europe - This Week


Zerg macro beast and fan favourite TLAF-Liquid`Ret this week moves back to home to Helmond, The Netherlands to continue his Starcraft 2 progaming career in Europe. [More]



[image loading]back to top


Liquid`HuK in GSL Code A Ro8 - Today, 7th March 2011


[image loading]

In just a few hours, Liquid enters the GSL Ro8 in the form of Canadian-American Protoss Chris "Liquid`HuK" Loranger. The lone Liquidian in the quarter finals of this month's GSL, HuK is now tasked with avenging the untimely demise of his teammate Jinro, his comrade who fell in the Code S Ro16.

[image loading]
Choo, choo! The conductor drives on.

This is The Incredible HuK's first GSL, and to seeing him go on to the Ro8 has been a fantastic experience. Join us here on TL today to root for him on stream as he takes on his opponent IMLosira. HuK fighting! Gogo Ro4!


Liquid`Ret Moves Back to Europe - This Week


[image loading]

Zerg macro beast and fan favourite TLAF-Liquid`Ret this week moves back to home to Helmond, The Netherlands to continue his Starcraft 2 progaming career in Europe.

Having moved to Korea at the end of 2010, Jos spent the last few months in the Liquid-oGs team house in Incheon, taking part in GSL tournaments and flying out to attend European events like the Assembly LAN, in Helsinki, FI, which he won.

Look below to find an in depth interview with the man himself and see for yourself what Jos has planned for the months to come!


[image loading]back to top

The TSL is about to get under way, and with the bracket being released this weekend hype is certain to reach a new high this week! Find out what Liquid think of the draw and see what their expectations are for this tournament.

Note - TLO has not responded to these questions because he was away at IEM Cebit this weekend keeping you guys entertained with his casting!

[image loading]
See? It is kind of a big deal.

The TSL Bracket was announced this weekend. What do you think of the draw?

HuK: My quarter of the bracket isn't the hardest or easiest so it's all good I guess. Just my first 2 rounds seem to be pretty tough compared to some others. I'm a bit disappointed as well, as I would have preferred to play a Korean first, then a North American, and lastly an European. Also I would of preferred PvZ or PvT over PvP, but that's the luck of the draw, I guess.

HayprO: With this many good matches already in Ro32, I'm really, really looking forward to this tournament. I'm fine with the draw I got, as you cant really get any easy opponent in a tournament of this calibre.

Jinro: I would have preferred to play MorroW later on in the tournament, but there's nothing to complain about.

Ret: Looks good, tons of epic matches, cant wait for the tournament to start.

Tyler: I have one of the most prestigious paths possible. I love it.


What do you make of your opponent?

HuK: Hasuobs has been kind of quiet result wise and I was actually really surprised when I heard he won a TL Open. Then again, he definitely has the experience to handle a tournament of this size.

HayprO: Kas seems to be owning a lot of EU tournaments lately so I'm expecting good matches where I hopefully end up winning.

Jinro: He has been one of the most dedicated players since the beginning of beta.

Ret: One of the better protosses in Europe, will be an interesting match! We have played before.

Tyler: Good, solid player. I'm going to beat him.


Are you happy about the side of the bracket you were seeded into? Would you have preferred the other? Why?

HuK: I would prefer my 1/2 vs the other half I think. Just looking at the players our 1/2 overall seems a bit easier than the other.

HayprO: My bracket seems to be pretty hard but I was expecting this so I'm neither happy nor sad.

Jinro: Dont care much, I guess lagwise I want to be on whatever side has more Koreans and Americans, but I don't spend too much time worrying about where in the bracket I end up, because it's not something I can influence.

Ret: I don't really care, I might have to play Nestea in round 2 but there are a lot of players in this tournament that are really scary so it doesn't matter to me.

Tyler: I am happy about it. I'm in great company.


Based on this draw, who do you hope to face in the rounds to come?

HuK: Hasu -> Jinro -> Boxer -> Nestea -> Fruitdealer/Nada

HayprO: I don't mind playing Dario or NaDa in the 2nd round, and the for 3rd round I'm pretty sure it's gonna be MVP.

Jinro: HuK, then we will see what happens.

Ret: NesTea, then IdrA, then I don't care.

Tyler: Fruitdealer, MC, MVP, Nestea.


Apart from your own match, which series are you looking forward to the most?

HuK: Nada vs Tlo will be fun, I hope!

HayprO: Morrow vs Jinro gonna be interesting to watch, and the insane grudge matches Idra vs Crucher and Ret vs Naniwa will be fun to see.

Jinro: Hm, there's a handful of really nice first round matches, and I don't think I have a single favourite.

Ret: Jinro vs Morrow for sure, I think MorroW is very good and Jinro is one of the best so that should be a great matchup!

Tyler: TLO v NaDa.



[image loading]back to top

[image loading]


Hi Jos! Thanks for joining us just minutes before you head to the airport as a part of a major change in direction in your progaming career. Tell us what's up.

Hey! I'm gonna go back to the Netherlands and play SC2 from there! Home sweet home.


Would you like to talk a little about what prompted this move?

Sure, I just miss home and my friends, being able to talk to people in a language they actually understand, privacy, freedom, all that good stuff Then there's also the fact that there are way more tournaments going on in Europe and the US which I look forward to playing in.


As much as you look forward to being home again, what are some of the things you will miss about living with your fellow Liquidians in Incheon?

I guess I'll miss my teammates & friends Haypro, Huk, and Jinro, but I'm sure I'm still gonna be seeing them lots over the course of 2011 so I don't think I'll be shedding too many tears~ <3. Other than that I wont miss too much about Korea, maybe some of the good food and the HD stream for GSL

But I'll be ok.


Speaking of food, what's your favourite Korean grub?

Hmm I really like black noodles! The 'Chinese' food they have in Korea is a lot different from European Chinese food and I am quite fond of it! Other than that... Korean BBQ of course! Shocker!


Let's talk a bit about your GSL experience on the whole - was playing in televised games everything you expected it to be?

It was a lot of fun being on TV, and experiencing something similar to OSL/MSL. I didn't quite win enough though. I think I had good chances in every round I lost but just didn't quite pull it off on the day.

Unfortunate, but there's a lot of really good Koreans players that got knocked out too early too.

Shit happens, I guess. I didn't expect too much of last GSL because I've been sick for almost a month and haven't really been able to practice because of that. It's another thing I look forward to about being home again - being healthier


You must miss doing sports too? We know you guys go to the gym in Korea, but are you looking

forward to returning to a more active lifestyle back home?


Heh yeah I really miss playing tennis/squash and such ^^ Also gonna hit the gym hard again once I'm back, miss my workout buddies, they've probably gotten a lot stronger than me over the past months.


You mentioned that you'll be playing more EU/US tourneys. Any particular events you are really looking forward to?

The ones that come to mind first are MLG events, NASL, Dreamhack, and IEM


We look forward to seeing you in them! Any words for your fans as they wait for you to arrive on stream in Europe?


Thanks to everybody who wanted to see me do well! I am sorry I didn't deliver quite in the fashion I had planned but this is far from over! I learned from this experience and I will try my best to perform well in the rest of 2011. Cheers!


We caught up with Jos back home as well.


Hello again! What's it like being back home in Helmond?

Hey, it's pretty awesome! I'm just getting back to my old routine. It's nice to have my own room, my own kitchen again etc. and of course seeing friends and family is great.


How was the flight?

Hehe pretty damn long... went from Seoul to Hong Kong to London to Amsterdam and then a had a two hour train ride! So I was pretty tired when I got home. Been sleeping quite a bit!


You mentioned your own kitchen, so is cooking going to be on the cards anytime soon?

Hmm.. yeah, I'm gonna do plenty of cooking. I miss the Dutch meals I haven't been able to make in a while! ^^


Any dishes in particular you're waiting to eat again?

Well I usually keep it simple with chicken rice and some kinda sauce but I will be looking to expand on that, and maybe learn how to make a nice lasagne.


What about training? How will that work? Ladder? Inhousing with TLO?

Hmm planning on playing like 5-6 hrs a day, probably ladder and some custom games with whoever wants most of it will be ladder I guess.


If there's something you took away from your time in Korea that you hope to apply now as you play from Europe, what would it be?

Hmm well I had been in Korea before so I had already learned how Koreans trained. I just want to keep playing and keep analysing my own game like I have been doing and get better from there. Just need to think a lot about different timings and try to be better always I think Korea just made me understand for a second time just how I need to look at the game. And hopefully it will bring me success in Europe.


All right, well good luck with practice, dude, and hope to have you with us on the Weekly again soon!

Thanks man! peace~~



[image loading]back to top

[image loading]

Our casting duo returns with a Nuubcast on Scrap Sation. HuK vs Nestea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74azJPK8Co






Liquid` is proudly sponsored by The Little App Factory, makers of fine applications for Windows and Mac OS X and fans of great Starcraft! Their flagship program, iRip allows you to recover your music from iPods - a life saver if you, like many of us, do tech support for friends and family. In fact, for a limited time, you can use the coupon code TEAMLIQUID to get 25% off when you get TLAF products!

Want to help support TLAF, the company that supports your team? Beta test their applications. It's a great way to say thanks!
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorSKT T1 | Masters of the Universe
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51543 Posts
March 07 2011 06:59 GMT
#2
so Ret is going back?Thats cool.
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
Phyrigian
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
New Zealand1332 Posts
March 07 2011 06:59 GMT
#3
--- Nuked ---
dapierow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Serbia1316 Posts
March 07 2011 07:00 GMT
#4
nice write up!
Eat.Sleep.Starcraft 2
Boneless
Profile Joined August 2010
France30 Posts
March 07 2011 07:00 GMT
#5
Go Huk !!!
Barett
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada454 Posts
March 07 2011 07:04 GMT
#6
I'm glad Ret is going back to Europe. With the state of Star2 right now, it's hard for Zerg's to advance especially when you only play 1 tournament every month. Hope he has good success back in Europe/US.

So excited to watch HuK play tonight! Should be a good game.
Gym, Video Games, Laundry.
staples2
Profile Joined December 2010
United States216 Posts
March 07 2011 07:05 GMT
#7
I think a lot of the foreigners are gonna head back just because they are so out of the scene other than GSL while they are in Korea. More like go to Korea for 3-6 months trains then head back and own
Air Force Mission: Kill people and break their shit
RandomAccount#49059
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2140 Posts
March 07 2011 07:05 GMT
#8
--- Nuked ---
VoirDire
Profile Joined February 2009
Sweden1923 Posts
March 07 2011 07:05 GMT
#9
GL in europe ret!
Teeny
Profile Joined March 2010
Austria885 Posts
March 07 2011 07:06 GMT
#10
Keep on fighting ret!
Thurokiir
Profile Joined June 2010
United States779 Posts
March 07 2011 07:08 GMT
#11
HuK dominate it up man we're all cheering for ya!
Tahts halo dont worry
zerious
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada3803 Posts
March 07 2011 07:08 GMT
#12
sad to see ret go back to europe, good luck to him
Deleted User 108965
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1096 Posts
March 07 2011 07:09 GMT
#13
nony exuding confidence, as usual :D
Disciple....Top 3 control in Clarion County
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
March 07 2011 07:20 GMT
#14
I knew Ret was going to come back after his defeat and call me selfish but I am glad. Getting to see ret play in more tournaments beats watching him every once in awhile in GSL .

Glad to have you back Ret can't wait to watch you play more :D
When I think of something else, something will go here
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
March 07 2011 07:31 GMT
#15
Great work as usual, Riptide! Happy for Ret that he's returning to where he feels most comfortable, but I hope he never gives up his quest for Korean success. He deserves it more than anyone else.
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
SkiZou
Profile Joined April 2010
107 Posts
March 07 2011 07:33 GMT
#16
Wasn't a surprise that Ret left Korea. Like IdrA said it in the SOTG (or maybe it was an interview) that after you drop out GSL, you really don't have any tournaments to participate.
But hey I'm deffo looking for Ret's play in MLG, NASL, etc.
Stats <3
Crazyeyes
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1342 Posts
March 07 2011 07:35 GMT
#17
Tyler: Good, solid player. I'm going to beat him.

Fuck yes.
WeeEEeeEEEeeEEEeeeEEee!!
GrapeD
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada679 Posts
March 07 2011 07:38 GMT
#18
Happy to hear that Ret's going to be back in Europe killing all those tourneys, i think while he was in Korea he kinda fell by the wayside because he didn't do well in the only tournament there.
Some people hurt people. I defenestrate those people.
Deindar
Profile Joined May 2010
United States302 Posts
March 07 2011 07:47 GMT
#19
LiquidHuk FIGHTING!!!! Also wish Ret the best of luck!
EG|Liquid|QxG|DTG fighting!
busbarn
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden984 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 07:48:16
March 07 2011 07:47 GMT
#20
Wow, after IEM I've considered the foreigners in korea our only "hope" against the koreans, with 5-6 hours of practice in europe there is no way ret can keep up.

Anyway I'm sure this is the right decision and not everything is about starcraft so.. GL Ret I hope you can prove me wrong!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech149
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36569
Shuttle 2463
Bisu 1039
Horang2 947
Jaedong 867
Light 441
BeSt 365
firebathero 333
Mini 330
Hyuk 287
[ Show more ]
Stork 272
actioN 266
Soma 237
EffOrt 232
Zeus 202
ggaemo 197
Soulkey 162
Last 145
Snow 122
ZerO 118
Leta 118
Pusan 83
Rush 76
Killer 74
Sea.KH 54
hero 51
Mong 44
Sharp 40
Mind 36
Shinee 30
Shine 27
Aegong 27
Bale 24
ToSsGirL 23
soO 20
Sexy 19
PianO 19
Trap 17
Yoon 16
Free 14
sorry 13
Terrorterran 11
zelot 10
HiyA 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc3942
qojqva1560
Dendi1010
League of Legends
Reynor92
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1282
x6flipin325
markeloff103
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1929
crisheroes917
Other Games
gofns33183
singsing2163
B2W.Neo699
XBOCT361
DeMusliM188
Livibee180
XaKoH 152
Mlord151
Liquid`LucifroN121
Mew2King87
QueenE65
Chillindude11
Railgan10
ZerO(Twitch)6
ArmadaUGS0
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream204
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 61
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2212
• TFBlade605
Other Games
• WagamamaTV197
Upcoming Events
OSC
33m
Stellar Fest
33m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
OSC
11h 33m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.