• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:17
CEST 15:17
KST 22:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13422 users

Still Slaying Orcs: Interview with KendricSwissh

Forum Index > Heroes of the Storm
1 CommentPost a Reply

Still Slaying Orcs: Interview with KendricSwissh

Text byTL.net ESPORTS
Graphics byEsportsJohn
October 13th, 2017 18:45 GMT

Interview

With
KendricSwissh



Germany’s Michael “KendricSwissh” Kratzel has been an enthusiastic voice in the Heroes of the Storm community for years. A talented player and bilingual broadcaster, Kratzel lent his voice to HGC Europe throughout 2016 and even hosted the Summer Global Championship at Dreamhack in Jönköping. More recently, Kendric has been the caster bringing HGC China to an English-speaking audience. He was also one of a handful of community streamers that was invited to Gamescom to show off Kel’thuzad before the hero’s release.

Beyond these events, Kratzel streams throughout the week on his personal Twitch channel. His audience, which he calls the Royal Swissh Guard, numbers over 28,000 followers and continues to grow. Sitting down to talk with Kendric about his streaming history, I asked when he first started broadcasting.

“That's quite the question. I regularly seem to forget when it all started,” he admitted to me. He took a moment to look into it. It turns out his channel started in January 2014, making his fourth anniversary only a few short months away. “Boy, how time flies when you're having fun!” Kratzel says. “It absolutely feels like I just started.”

Despite the date slipping his mind, Kratzel exhibited a strong memory throughout our conversation. Details of events and childhood stories come easily to him, and his HGC casting easily slips into anecdotes about previous talent builds or teams that others have forgotten. “There's hardly a moment in my streaming career that I can't remember. I definitely enjoy every day of streaming like it was my first one. That doesn't mean there aren't things I do not enjoy about streaming, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.”

Kendric’s love for Blizzard universes began before he even created a Twitch account. “Blizzard games have always been the games I felt most interested in. Whether it was slaying Orcs in Warcraft 2 when I was a little kid or carrying my Diablo 2 characters to my friend's house on a floppy disc—Blizzard has always had a great influence on my life, and will certainly continue to do so,” Kratzel tells me. One Alliance player to another, he adds as an aside: “Truth be told, I still slay Orcs these days, being the Alliance fanboy I am.”

That Alliance pride permeates Kratzel’s stream. He takes every chance he gets to talk about his love for the faction, and his most played hero is Varian. Between games, viewers are met with a visual of Kendric holding court in an Alliance-themed throne room—all the while, the soundtrack to Stormwind plays in the background.

[image loading]


Kendric’s stream has that distinctive vibe, but it’s even more notable when so much of Blizzard’s community (and even employees) tend to be more outspoken in favor of the Horde. “You're absolutely right, the Horde is the more vocal faction out there,” Kratzel tells me as we chat about the Alliance. I ask how the old Warcraft rivalry has affected his stream. “It is easier to pledge allegiance to the Horde on Twitch in general due to the existence of SMOrc, but there is no real emote icon that represents the Alliance. But dogs who bark, usually don't bite.”

“What makes me a proud supporter of the Alliance, however, is the fact that it is the more heroic faction,” he explained confidently. “While the Horde has numerous pretty cool characters like Thrall or Cairne Bloodhoof, they simply can't mess with the likes of Malfurion Stormrage, Varian Wrynn, or Genn Greymane. To me, the Horde has had a couple of very deceitful, almost dishonorable leaders—notably Garrosh Hellscream, who cared little about Azeroth and only sought to enforce their own selfish motives. All in all, I'm proud to be a follower of the Alliance, the faction that has sacrificed and given so much to protect every race—even the Horde ones—on Azeroth against great threats like the Scourge or the Burning Legion.”

This long and storied passion for Warcraft and its world carried right over into the Nexus when Kratzel got his invitation to the HotS technical alpha. “Quite frankly, I've always been a big fan of MOBAs. It all started in the era of Warcraft 3 (which I played a lot, even semi competitively) when the first DotA custom maps emerged—I was immediately hooked. Heroes of the Storm, in my personal opinion, is a great evolution of the genre. It added (and still adds) so many fresh elements that make it incredibly enjoyable even after years of playing.” Those years of playing, streaming, and observing HotS have given Kratzel a chance to observe the game from a number of angles, insight all the more valuable given how well he remembers the history of the game. “I started playing when Rehgar was the newest addition to the Nexus. Tyrael still had the legendary talent Cast Aside, which allowed him to knock enemy Heroes to the side when hit by his E, and there were hilarious talents like Resurgence of the Storm (Level 20, caused a Hero to immediately respawn in the Hall of Storm upon death)...all of which look incredibly broken from today's point of view."

[image loading]


“My favorite thing that has changed when comparing Heroes of the Storm back then and now is the fact that the overall performance has improved so much. Furthermore, skins today are absolutely epic. I can't praise the artists and designers enough. Back then, they were often just color tints that didn't look particularly exciting.”

Of course, it isn’t all praise. Many names in the Heroes of the Storm community have their complaints about the game’s state. “What I don't particularly like about the game's current state is map rotations. To me, they take away one of Heroes' core strength, which is map diversity. Furthermore, allowing maps like Blackheart's Bay several times in a row but removing others like Garden of Terror or Hanamura—which are by no means ‘better’ battlegrounds—makes no sense to me.”

Kendric has worn a lot of hats, whether he’s playing, streaming, commentating, or hosting. The variety of activities each have their own demands, so I asked how he approaches each one and how his game knowledge carries over between the roles.

“Streaming and casting sometimes go hand-in-hand, especially if your streaming style is somewhat analytical. As such, I apply many things I do and say while streaming while casting and vice versa. Hosting, on the other hand, is probably the hardest thing to do out of those three. You need to be very eloquent and fluent in what you say. It’s also more important to make the other casters and analysts look good in what they're saying rather than being the shining star yourself."

[image loading]
The stage at DreamHack Summer 2016 where Kendric played the role of host


“Back in 2016, when I did most of my hosting in HGC, I always found it amusing when a few people said I knew very little about the game. It was in fact my job as a host to look less knowledgable in order to let my fellow commentators deliver the knowledge. That being said, I absolutely enjoy all three of those activities. I consider myself very fortunate to cast HGC China while also getting the chance to stream on a weekly basis.”

Like any internet personality, Kratzel has had his haters, but his stream stays positive and vibrant, and his community continues to grow. But was there a time before Kendric’s success when he got discouraged? “Absolutely, yes,” he answers. “There were many phases in my career during which I was questioning my future as a streamer. Whether it was stagnant viewership numbers, the lack of acknowledgment in my real life environment or struggling with the game itself—it sometimes took a lot of mental fortitude to keep pushing forward. I'm happy to say that today I am more determined than ever to deliver the best viewing experience possible and my resolve to become a better streamer grows steadily.”

“Do you mind if I press you on how?” I followed up. There are so many streamers who work every day, and I knew Kendric would have some good advice on how to get through those tough times.

“Sure,” he answers quickly. “Watching a good anime always helps [me]. If you are Twitch streamers yourselves, I thoroughly recommend disabling the viewer count in your Twitch dashboard. Constantly being reminded how many viewers just tuned in or off can truly ruin your day and distract you from what's really important: focusing on the viewers that you currently have, not the ones that just left for whatever reason.”

As we wrapped up our conversation and prepared to watch HGC Europe’s Crucible finals, I asked Kratzel for his views on keeping his community welcoming and positive. Other positive streamers, like Manuel ‘Grubby’ Schenkhuizen and Steph ‘FerociouslySteph’ Loehr have talked about how they think staying positive makes them better as players because it helps avoid tilt.

“Maintaining a positive attitude is one of my core goals for the stream. I'm a very optimistic person in real life, and as such, I would like to display that positive attitude in everything I do. Making fun of others or getting attention at the cost of someone else is not something I consider honorable behavior worth striving for.

[image loading]
One of the many faces you can witness on Kendric's stream....


“When it comes to keeping my composure while playing, there is only one response I can give to you: I've seen it all. In my years as an active MOBA gamer and Twitch streamer, there's hardly anything people could say or do to me that I haven't already experienced. Consequently, there is very little that can truly throw me off. Of course, every now and then, I too lose my patience and will ban certain users from my chat...but hey, I'm just a human being after all.”

With all my questions asked, I left the floor open for Kendric’s own shoutouts. “Big shoutouts to every person that has ever supported me in any way, shape, or form on my way to fulfill my greatest dream. No matter if you're a subscriber supporting me financially, if you're a Blizzard employee taking good care of the games I love, or if you're just a plain normal viewer that watches my content—you're all amazing people, and without you I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing."

“And last but not least, shoutout to you guys at Team Liquid—thanks for having me on the interview!” Hey thanks, Kendric, and you’re welcome!




KendricSwissh announces his streams on Twitter, and generally begins at 11:00 CEST. Fern "Midseasons" Rojas" is also on Twitter. Kendric follows Fern, so maybe you should, too!





Interview: Midseasons
Editor(s): EsportsJohn
Design: shiroiusagi
Photo Credit: Blizzard


Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
KendricSwissh
Profile Joined January 2014
Germany133 Posts
October 16 2017 23:13 GMT
#2
Thanks a lot to the whole Team Liquid crew for doing this interview!

It's almost like a dream come true to be featured on a website that I've been following since my earliest esports days! <3
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 225
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings111
CranKy Ducklings SOOP47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko340
SHIN 225
ProTech151
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42436
Bisu 2461
Shuttle 1812
Hyuk 1730
Soma 446
EffOrt 443
Larva 398
Mini 388
ZerO 325
firebathero 216
[ Show more ]
Last 113
hero 94
Zeus 66
Pusan 54
Sexy 53
Trap 49
Hyun 48
Bale 43
Killer 38
Hm[arnc] 36
Aegong 27
ToSsGirL 27
PianO 25
zelot 22
Noble 17
sorry 17
yabsab 10
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 7
Rock 6
Icarus 6
ajuk12(nOOB) 3
Dota 2
Gorgc5006
qojqva1434
Dendi943
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor952
crisheroes795
Liquid`Hasu188
Other Games
gofns40541
singsing2576
B2W.Neo1221
Happy338
DeMusliM238
Livibee203
Liquid`VortiX91
Mew2King89
ArmadaUGS70
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 52
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 9023
League of Legends
• Jankos1756
Other Games
• WagamamaTV224
Upcoming Events
FEL
2h 43m
AI Arena Tournament
3h 43m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 43m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 43m
INu's Battles
22h 43m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.