• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:44
CEST 11:44
KST 18:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7781 users

Alt-right terminology / symbolism

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Creating polls with physical violence against an individual or group as an option, or advocating for / supporting physical violence against an individual or group in a post = ban. This is your only warning.
Pistolen-Luuk
Profile Joined August 2014
33 Posts
October 22 2019 12:10 GMT
#1
This is something that has been on my mind for a while now as a long time SC2 follower. I am sure the topic has come up in bits and pieces in the US politics thread, but I wanted to know what people think about this.

I regularly see and hear alt-right terminology and symbols used in the SC2 community. Think of the 'feels bad man', 'Pepe' and other quotes circulating in Twitch chats and Twitter accounts of many pro players and streamers.
I am sure that most of the time this is not because of conscious support of alt-right ideas. I am aware many of these memes have originated in gamer communities and were politicized by other groups.

Yet I do feel there is a lack of resistance or criticism on this. Shouldn't there be some thought around using the 'feels bad man' or 'grug wojak' as a twitter portrait?
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10962 Posts
October 22 2019 12:26 GMT
#2
Feels bad man


Honestly, many of these have been around for long in the web and trying to stigmatise them seems to have backfired hard.
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
October 22 2019 12:36 GMT
#3
I see nothing wrong with it. Symbols can be appropriated by different cultures to mean different things. In this case, the alt right appropriated pepe the frog as its symbol while gamers appropriated it for memes. In the contexts in which it is used, feelsbadman is not expressing anything to do with the alt-right.

Unless you're afraid that it's all a ploy to legitimize pepe the frog as an alt-right symbol by ingraining it to gamer culture. I don't think people should worry about this because we shouldn't let the alt-right dictate and have monopoly over a symbol (feelsbadman and other pepe memes, not specifically pepe himself) that also belongs to us. Similar deal to the "ok" sign
Bora Pain minha porra!
abuse
Profile Joined April 2011
Latvia1946 Posts
October 22 2019 12:45 GMT
#4
Honestly, I've never understood why would people be offended by symbols or memes, or phrases.

And no, there shouldn't be criticism about someone saying 'feels bad man'.
I don't believe you.
LuckyGnomTV
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Russian Federation367 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-22 12:55:46
October 22 2019 12:54 GMT
#5
Get out of here, please. Leave us alone with your useless sjw mentality. Let us play the game and have fun like we always did. If you feel so offended by symbols why won't you sue China and Korea for using swastika on their temples? Ok? People with such mentality are so feelsbadman.
Vivax
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
22415 Posts
October 22 2019 13:08 GMT
#6
A symbol that doesn't originate from a bad group doesn't become bad when the group starts using it.
Example: swastikas are banned here, but not the wehrmacht cross which commonly becomes the replacement in ww2 games.
Pistolen-Luuk
Profile Joined August 2014
33 Posts
October 22 2019 13:24 GMT
#7
Symbols can be appropriated by different cultures to mean different things

Yes, that's what I was thinking, although it never goes fully uncontested. I see many people who understand gamer culture and 'the' alt-right movement as things that are very connected. Which is a massive misunderstanding from my point of view.
(I think the 80's punk movements understood this, by appropriating fascist symbolism they were able to steer clear of mainstream media).

I guess what LuckyGnomTV is talking about is the gaming community as a separate space where we can just play the game and have fun. Of course you can do that, I think gaming is actually made for that. To shut other things out, and focus on.. well whatever we do here.

But I wonder whether it is a space truly free from politics. It is not the free for all cyberspace as imagined by the post-hippies of the 90's. (Think of the recent discussions about the tech giants, or the Hearthstone China-HK incident).
That is what I am trying to think through, not as someone who feels offended (I don't feel obliged to read every meme, and I hope I don't offend people with my sjw language), its just curiosity from being engaged with this scene for a while.
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
October 22 2019 13:29 GMT
#8
No space is free from politics
No will to live, no wish to die
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7421 Posts
October 22 2019 13:29 GMT
#9
That's like I can't shave my head because Neonazis do it. Or I can't wear boots. Or whatever
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
abuse
Profile Joined April 2011
Latvia1946 Posts
October 22 2019 13:31 GMT
#10
Memes or symbols aren't issues, neither are harmless phrases like "feels bad man" which can be used in millions of ways.

People killing people are issues.
Unless someone goes on in a gaming setting and says death to all xxx and/or goes filming himself killing said people, then it shouldn't be an issue for a mature adult in my eyes.

I don't believe you.
Pistolen-Luuk
Profile Joined August 2014
33 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-22 14:15:06
October 22 2019 13:48 GMT
#11
No space is free from politics

Yeah I don't think any space is free from politics. Every space has it's own kind of politics. Gaming politics is an interesting one, in part it can be thought of as a separate political sphere, with it's own micro-politics (i.e. meta-game, politics of cheesing, or prize pools etc.) It's strength is that it offers a temporary context in which alternative kinds of knowledge are valid / necessary.

That's like I can't

What's the issue is that "phrases like "feels bad man" can be used in millions of ways". I am just wondering what it means when multiple people use them in different political spheres.
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
October 22 2019 13:55 GMT
#12
The serious answer is, if you're trying to recruit people into the far right, gaming is one of the first places you should look into. A bunch of guys, probably not very social, probably not very open, probably into competition, that's perfect. If they know what they're doing they should be coopting gamer language whenever possible, and they mostly know what they're doing.
No will to live, no wish to die
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
October 22 2019 14:15 GMT
#13
Far right recruitment is definitely happening in the gaming space. I heavily see it in World of Warcraft when "All men friendly christian guilds" start their recruitment in trade chat or when in Overwatch some one decides to be heavily racist. I'm not quiet about it, I speak up and tell them to go fork themselves, and I have been reported multiple times by these far right recruiters to blizzard, and blizzard always ends up siding with me.

I don't get triggered if some one starts typing "feelsbadman", I get annoyed though when far right ideologies start spewing their hate into chats/voice coms.
Life?
Pistolen-Luuk
Profile Joined August 2014
33 Posts
October 23 2019 09:05 GMT
#14
I haven't encountered something like that before, but I am not too surprised I guess.

Coming out of the art scene myself I see in gaming culture a super interesting cultural space, which will grow in the coming years. The possibilities with narrative, interaction, (international) connectivity and communication are huge. But if it is just the companies and / or political groups from outside the gaming community that own this space it would be a shame.
So what could gaming-politics be (as something in itself but also as a counter weight against stupid alt-right or christian appropriation)?
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10962 Posts
October 23 2019 23:33 GMT
#15
See, your falling into issue No.1.

There is no "gaming culture". There are several gaming cultures depending on platform and even games. I feel 0 affiliation with some fortnight player, not in any way. I also feel 0 affiliation with some mine craft player and so on...
You might also just call it "people that are often online culture", but then you would realize how retarded that is and would rethink.
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
October 24 2019 01:44 GMT
#16
I think running from those sorts of phrases is giving the alt-right too much credit- like it's some sort of contagious disease that one must guard against with paranoid vigilance. It's a fear-based approach and easily abused by the alt-right as we've seen people run for the hills over the 'okay' symbol.

In as much the alt-right is involved in white nationalism, the actual beliefs that are terrible are fairly obvious and not tolerated (white genocide conspiracy theories or racist theories on ethnicities).

But there is far too much overlap with regular old meme/ troll culture to bother one's head about 'feels bad man'.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
GOHF
Profile Joined December 2015
United States1864 Posts
October 24 2019 13:32 GMT
#17
On October 22 2019 22:29 Harris1st wrote:
That's like I can't shave my head because Neonazis do it. Or I can't wear boots. Or whatever

I mean real talk: I've had some very unpleasant real life interactions with some Proud Boys and seeing them makes me never want to wear polo shirts ever again.
NO MORE CHEN NERFS!!!
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
October 24 2019 13:43 GMT
#18
Polo shirts are alt-right thing?
Bora Pain minha porra!
GOHF
Profile Joined December 2015
United States1864 Posts
October 24 2019 13:53 GMT
#19
On October 24 2019 22:43 Sbrubbles wrote:
Polo shirts are alt-right thing?

Admittedly it doesn't make as much sense to somebody outside the underground music live scene in the states, but a lot of the douchier guys that show up have that sort of dress code of long jeans and polo shirts and short hair that's sometimes combed over. These guys tend to gravitate towards these fraternal minded groups and the Proud Boys (a strictly white male group that believes white genocide is a real thing) have appropriated it as their uniform, specifically black with gold stripes around the collar.
NO MORE CHEN NERFS!!!
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-24 14:19:25
October 24 2019 14:18 GMT
#20
Discussing the collective use of symbols as it relates to specific cooption by particular groups is a good thing, but Nebuchad basically already said what I was going to. Particular symbols needn’t be banned or prohibited in order for folks to spread awareness.

Carry on!
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko36
StarCraft: Brood War
firebathero 1173
actioN 1169
Shuttle 746
Jaedong 509
Mong 370
Hyuk 348
BeSt 338
Hyun 258
Soma 209
Horang2 204
[ Show more ]
Stork 141
Larva 106
PianO 92
Sexy 86
Bisu 69
Rush 68
Mind 65
Shine 57
910 55
Shinee 34
ZerO 30
Bale 27
sSak 25
ZergMaN 24
Hm[arnc] 23
hero 21
Sharp 21
HiyA 17
sorry 17
Yoon 15
Noble 12
Pusan 10
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
XcaliburYe86
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1172
shoxiejesuss985
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King306
Other Games
gofns38367
summit1g7507
singsing999
ceh9593
KnowMe139
Pyrionflax133
Livibee57
DeMusliM55
Trikslyr27
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick492
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1054
• Stunt339
Other Games
• Shiphtur385
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 16m
Patches Events
6h 16m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.