• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:06
CEST 04:06
KST 11:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7372 users

Funny things tourists ask. - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-25 15:10:37
June 25 2012 15:04 GMT
#61
I consider what most people ask very reasonable, even though it might be very obvious (like difference between a train and a subway train). Just the way tourists say anything Japanese is pretty funny, like 'Sapporo' and 'Osaka', or 'Shibuya' and 'Shinjuku', but that's understandable.

But a lot of people get surprised by a lot of things:
1. cabs all have automatic doors
2. heated toilet seats
3. bidets
4. vending machines that sell cigarettes and beer, and just about anything
5. etc

I can probably go on forever...

edit:
On the note of butchering Japanese pronouns, I did something really dumb one time. I was trying to find a big department store called "MyLord", so I asked in various flavours of "My Lord" and of course no one knew what the fuck I was talking about. I eventually got fed up and decided to write it down, and turns out, it is pronounced "Me Lord" in Japanese. Go figure.

edit2 - a bit more:
This one I've never committed, but a lot of foreigners do: another department store chain is called 'OI', and they have various flavours of it such as 'OIOI', or 'OI City', etc. It's actually called 'Marui' (O is circle, which is maru), and foreigners often call it 'oi-oi', pretty funny to listen to, and I say it jokingly as well
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
June 25 2012 15:13 GMT
#62
Ok... so funny story. I consider myself pretty damn fluent in French and English, and I live in a multi-lingual family, where we are constantly shifting back and forth between the two languages. So, when someone asks me a question in either language, I don't always stop to consider what language I'm hearing, I just respond.

I was at Père Lachaise, the gigantic cemetery in Paris, and I had a family of people walk up and ask where they could find a particular person. We were right by a map so I take them and show them on the map, explaining everything in French, but they still look totally confused, so I promise to lead them there, as it is only a hundred meters away. The entire time, they are following and smiling nicely, but not saying a word, and then about half way to the tomb, it dawns on me that they most likely asked me in English and didn't understand a single word that I had said. Pretty fucking embarrassing for me, actually, but I didn't really know what to say, so I pointed to the tomb and just awkwardly walked away without saying another word :D
DoomBox
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden73 Posts
June 25 2012 16:18 GMT
#63
I haven't got any tourist related stories to share, but on the topic of distance perception:
I have been living in Australia for the past year. When I first got here I quickly realized that everything is veeery far away (including obviously Australia itself).

Starting of:
Australia is at least half a planet away from pretty much anything else:
[image loading]

Mainland Europe would actually fit INSIDE Australia. Re-arrange the countries and you can fit entire Europe. Hell, the individual states are pretty much bigger than mainland Europe. The major cities are far enough apart to be capitals of individual countries.
[image loading]

Oh, and someone mentioned Texas?
[image loading]

I was lucky enough to live just 3k from school, but soccer practice? 30 minute drive. Closest city? Brisbane, an hour away in good traffic.
Being used to ride my bike everywhere, I was quite annoyed being dependent on a car...

Anyway, hope I've provided some perspective
NO ONE HAS EVER DONE THAT IN THE HISTORY OF DOTA
Willzzz
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom774 Posts
June 25 2012 19:27 GMT
#64
I don't know why people were hating on the OP. It should be obvious to anyone that they aren't numbered bridges because you wouldn't have 2 'fourth' bridges if they were. It doesn't require local knowledge, just common sense.
Kyrillion
Profile Joined August 2011
Russian Federation748 Posts
June 25 2012 19:32 GMT
#65
But we say "the two first" so why not "the two fourth" ?
If you seek well, you shall find.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
June 25 2012 19:34 GMT
#66
The opposite also happens. Sometimes the locals say strange things to the tourist.

My sister visited family in Australia in the mid 90s. People would often ask her where she was from, to which she would say 'New York.' Technically, she lived in NY State, although people usually assume you live in NY City. This is not at all a big deal though. The funny part is that people would follow up with strange things like "do you live in the empire state building??"
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Chocolate
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2350 Posts
June 25 2012 19:37 GMT
#67
On June 26 2012 04:32 Kyrillion wrote:
But we say "the two first" so why not "the two fourth" ?

We just don't say that... Plus everyone visiting Scotland should know what the Firth of Forth is.
optical630
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom768 Posts
June 25 2012 19:40 GMT
#68
tourists not knowing stuff in their non native country? what is this madness
dUTtrOACh
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2339 Posts
June 25 2012 19:47 GMT
#69
Cute story. Tourists are so adorable. Seems like an honest mistake to me. Not knowing the difference between "Forth" and "fourth" could happen to anybody who isn't familiar with a place. They may have genuinely believed "Forth" to be the "Scottish spelling" of fourth...
twitch.tv/duttroach
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
June 25 2012 19:55 GMT
#70
Great place for this would be the tourists in NYC.
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
scissorhands
Profile Joined July 2011
United States68 Posts
June 25 2012 20:04 GMT
#71
Following DoomBox's post, here's another interesting size comparison pic I've seen before...

[image loading]

pretty insane how big africa is
Wargable
Profile Joined April 2011
United States107 Posts
June 25 2012 20:08 GMT
#72
I live in Las Vegas and have been asked on several occasions whether or not I live in a casino. Makes me laugh out loud every time
"That brings my piss to a boil."
FallDownMarigold
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States3710 Posts
June 25 2012 20:12 GMT
#73
Some tourists from across the globe asked me where the X restaurant was. I was like, *snicker snicker* you idiots, there is no X restaurant within 150 miles from here. Jeez. So then I walked off thinking how hilarious people who aren't from here are, like, not knowing all the details about my home turf and such.

Silly tourists!

Tewks44
Profile Joined April 2011
United States2032 Posts
June 25 2012 20:31 GMT
#74
This one Nigerian tourist was all like "hey I'm a super rich prince and I need to transfer my wealth to the U.S." Which is silly because I'm sure it would be safer for him to go through the banks directly, but what's even crazier is he said he'd give me 10% of his fortune just to help him out! Lol, what an idiot. All I had to do was give him my SS number, Debit card number, Account number, and personal info (birthday, address, etc.). Tourists are so stupid.
"that is our ethos; free content, starcraft content, websites that work occasionally" -Sean "Day[9]" Plott
gasmeter
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United Kingdom251 Posts
June 25 2012 20:41 GMT
#75
I am also Scottish, living in Edinburgh just next to these bridges, and I have had the very same question asked of me before...
Polt | MMA | MarineKing | Flash | Mvp | NesTea | INnoVation
ggplaydong
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada13 Posts
June 25 2012 20:47 GMT
#76
Some man had the audacity to ask me where he could buy milk that did not come in bags, so I threw my nose to the air and bid him a good day.
Willzzz
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom774 Posts
June 25 2012 21:49 GMT
#77
My god a continent that is bigger than a bunch of countries, how shocking.

I remember seeing another map where someone showed you could fit 52 countries in Africa, the amazing thing was they all fitted perfectly!
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
June 25 2012 22:05 GMT
#78
I could have made that mistake and I don't think I'm particularly stupid
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
valium
Profile Joined June 2012
United States251 Posts
June 25 2012 22:06 GMT
#79
i can understand the reaction from a lot of people on here, basically translates into "stupid things tourists ask" seeing as the people in the OP were not making a joke about a perceived common misconception between forth and fourth, but were genuinely confused.
It is not easy being this awesome and modest
Sanctimonius
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom861 Posts
June 26 2012 01:05 GMT
#80
On June 26 2012 00:04 Cambium wrote:

But a lot of people get surprised by a lot of things:
1. cabs all have automatic doors

edit2 - a bit more:
This one I've never committed, but a lot of foreigners do: another department store chain is called 'OI', and they have various flavours of it such as 'OIOI', or 'OI City', etc. It's actually called 'Marui' (O is circle, which is maru), and foreigners often call it 'oi-oi', pretty funny to listen to, and I say it jokingly as well


Yep, called it OiOi for months until someone pointed that one out to me.

Also those doors on taxis aren't automatic, the driver has a little lever by his seat he pulls to open and close it. I found this out when I closed the door myself after getting in and trapping the driver's leg between this lever and the door. This is also when I learned that 'itai' means 'pain!'
You live the life you choose.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings121
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 179
ProTech129
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 255
Bale 17
Terrorterran 17
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm197
League of Legends
Doublelift6097
JimRising 729
Counter-Strike
taco 75
minikerr31
Other Games
summit1g11864
C9.Mang0330
PiLiPiLi10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1076
BasetradeTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream47
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP168
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 54m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 54m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 54m
Replay Cast
20h 54m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.