• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:05
CEST 03:05
KST 10:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9317 users

Technology Preassure

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
RaptorX
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Germany646 Posts
November 06 2009 22:05 GMT
#1
I am not sure if people have noticed how the new versions of programs tend to be bigger and bigger all the time even though they have no visible new features or anything of the sort...

I am amazed that now I am forced to upgrade my MSN 8.5 to a new version which is nothing less than 65MB... and that is just an update... I mean for what the fuck do I need 65MB for chatting with my friends? forced....

Then I was thinking how cheap Terabytes have become and I cant help but think that they are actually trying to force everybody to purchase high storage HDDs, I mean with HD DVDs, and programs like Adobe whos pdf reader was about 5mb and now you cannot get any version below 130MB for doing the same thing ( opening a pdf ) and Nero which version #6 was the best now have around 300MB for nothing, i cant help but get paranoid...

I simply hate it...

Now what do you think guys, am i paranoid or is just simply stupid...?
I won
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24804 Posts
November 06 2009 22:10 GMT
#2
I don't really think it's a conspiracy...

A lot of things that get bigger like games have some very obvious reasons why. Maybe some experts can explain the particular examples you gave.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
betaben
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
681 Posts
November 06 2009 22:13 GMT
#3
I agree. they are also using tons more memory, an indication that they're getting far more inefficient which generally means worse programming. we all have to bend over.
RaptorX
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Germany646 Posts
November 06 2009 22:16 GMT
#4
On November 07 2009 07:10 micronesia wrote:
I don't really think it's a conspiracy...

A lot of things that get bigger like games have some very obvious reasons why. Maybe some experts can explain the particular examples you gave.


well if the game has better graphics and stuff is ok... I am refering to programs that have no new features or nothing really "better" about them... they do exactly as they did before, sometimes worse... BUT they are eating your HD for no reason... and you are FORCED to have the new version, you like it or not ( unless you use an alternative program which usually I miss this or that feature )
I won
xmShake
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1100 Posts
November 06 2009 22:19 GMT
#5
People want to add new features to keep people coming back to their product. Useful or not, new features generally take up new space. I don't know why you're complaining about something in the 10s of MB unless your hard drive has the capacity of a small flash drive. Honestly you shouldn't be worrying about space as long as they keep the program streamlined and fast. MSN / WLM has always been bloat, (much like the rest of MS shit), and you'll just have to deal with it.

There is no conspiracy. They force you to update so they can provide better support when you have problems. Newer versions tend to have less problems as long as they're not adding a bunch of useless stuff.

If you don't like it, switch to linux and write your own programs.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-06 22:20:40
November 06 2009 22:19 GMT
#6
CD BurnerXP
SumatraPDF

I know that's not what the topic was about but I prefer those two programs over nero/adobe pdf anyway

Also, I think there are some work-arounds for the forced update of msn (patches and what not). I don't care enough at the moment to do anything about it myself.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Ethenielle
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
Norway1006 Posts
November 06 2009 22:21 GMT
#7
It's probably more that programmers can't be arsed to micro-optimize(relatively speaking) their programs, when there's such an abundance of resources available. Considering most people have half a TB diskspace or more at their disposal, a couple of extra MB for convenience's sake(or whatever it is) seems like no big deal.
Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
November 06 2009 22:23 GMT
#8
There is no doubt that they are forcing us to use more so they can sell their new supercool hardware that will allow you to run the latest software. It has been working for a while.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
seppolevne
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada1681 Posts
November 06 2009 22:26 GMT
#9
Foxit reader is 7MB.
Usually updates include new features, better graphics, etc. Coding isn't getting 'less efficient', new technology is simply more complicated.
J- Pirate Udyr WW T- Pirate Riven Galio M- Galio Annie S- Sona Lux -- Always farm, never carry.
AssuredVacancy
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1167 Posts
November 06 2009 22:27 GMT
#10
Security in programs. Take your msn, a shitload portion of its programming is probably devoted to keeping you secure. Unfortunately the end user usually don't notice this kind of stuff so they just automatically assume it's because the programmers are incompetent and the company's evil etc etc.
We spend our youth attaining wealth, and our wealth attaining youth.
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-06 22:44:31
November 06 2009 22:29 GMT
#11
There are always lightweight alternatives. I would recommend foxit instead of adobe but foxit is starting to blow lately as well, go with sumatra.
For MSN, the alternative.. there's way too many. My main choice is miranda.. look @ the size and memory usage.. lol:
+ Show Spoiler [miranda SS] +
[image loading]


Plus it has way more functionality than MSN (it's a multi-protocol client for starters) and is way more customizable too.

The reason this is happening.. well space is no longer the issue it was back even a decade ago.. hdd sizes are increasing super fast, it's actually getting ridiculous There's no incentive for such optimization anymore.. developer's time is (presumably) better spent adding new features to programs. Plus people want programs that do everything, like look at my converter program of choice (although this isn't the greatest example, SUPER is still incredibly fast and lightweight despite its amazing functionality. Holy grail of programs right here!):
+ Show Spoiler [SUPER SS] +
[image loading]


Don't sweat it =)
If it bothers you that much, find alternatives, like many others have.
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
ZenDeX
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Philippines2916 Posts
November 06 2009 22:38 GMT
#12
This is good news to programmers that are skilled enough to produce efficient programs.
Railxp
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Hong Kong1313 Posts
November 07 2009 00:28 GMT
#13
your OP belongs in the "nerdiest thing you've ever done" thread.
you can say:
" i posted on TL believing that there is a conspiracy of increasing software sizes to get me to buy more harddrive space"


SERIOUSLY?

thats like saying theres a conspiracy to spread McDonalds everywhere so that everyone will become obese.
~\(。◕‿‿◕。)/~,,,,,,,,>
Elite00fm
Profile Joined January 2008
United States548 Posts
November 07 2009 05:15 GMT
#14

thats like saying theres a conspiracy to spread McDonalds everywhere so that everyone will become obese.


I'm going to do some research, I believe you're on to something
Sadistx
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Zimbabwe5568 Posts
November 07 2009 06:17 GMT
#15
I am forced to upgrade my MSN 8.5 to a new version

You aren't forced to do anything, unless there's a guy standing behind you with a gun to your head. Use alternative software.
Miranda IM ftw.
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-07 06:19:50
November 07 2009 06:19 GMT
#16
PRESSURE

+ Show Spoiler +
Suck it up, can't stop progress, etc Extra features sells products.
RaptorX
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Germany646 Posts
November 07 2009 06:58 GMT
#17
On November 07 2009 15:17 Sadistx wrote:
Show nested quote +
I am forced to upgrade my MSN 8.5 to a new version

You aren't forced to do anything, unless there's a guy standing behind you with a gun to your head. Use alternative software.
Miranda IM ftw.


by forced I mean that I cannot really use version 8.5 (the version I like the most) because when I try to log in it simply tells me that there is a new version, If I click in "I dont want to download it now" then it simply wont log in...

I know there is a loadshit of other alternatives, but the question is WHY cant I use the one that I like just because they decided that the new one is "better" when in my own eyes the 65MB they are asking for it dont simply worth it...

I am not saying that I cant use msn at all, I use meebo or miranda now, but why am i forced to do that is my question.

And no, I am not talking about a "conspiracy" it is very obvious what they do... what I dont know is why we keep falling for it... why does vista need almost 10GB just to get installed when a lot of people out there dont want most of the features? then you say, "yes but you can stay with XP"... well thats not really the case when they force updates to your PC that instead of helping they make a mess to force you to buy the new product. Some day they will just plainly lock all win95/98 with an update that wont allow them to do nothing more than see a huge advertising saying "your pc is shit, change it to vista now.... and there is nothing you can do except for going linux".... -pc owner: " but I like my 95/98" -microsoft: "s-s-s-suck it bbbbitch".


I won
EtherealDeath
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States8366 Posts
November 07 2009 07:06 GMT
#18
The following is VERY VERY IMPORTANT and will answer all your question regarding these types of things.

As you know, there is thing called Moore's law, which suggests that every 18 months or so, a chip will have 2x the transistors and be ~2x faster.

There is also a related law, which we will call the Laziness law. Every 18 months or so, the laziness of programmers approximately doubles, so the code they produce is twice as bad and voluminous/slow compared to what it could optimally be.

The net gain: larger file sizes and no speed increase!
RaptorX
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Germany646 Posts
November 07 2009 07:34 GMT
#19
i guess you are right :D
I won
PobTheCad
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Australia893 Posts
November 07 2009 08:01 GMT
#20
it's a joke
i had to download the drivers for my HP all in one printer cos i lost the cd , the full thing was 460 megabytes

remember back in win98 they used to just give you a couple of dll files and a readme? took like 5 seconds to get it going.takes ages now and theres always a memory hogging program involved with it that wants to be in the background all the time.
Once again back is the incredible!
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings70
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta30
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech145
SpeCial 129
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13541
Artosis 632
Shuttle 351
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm172
canceldota128
League of Legends
Doublelift4102
Counter-Strike
taco 283
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox400
AZ_Axe103
Other Games
summit1g5776
shahzam662
Day[9].tv579
C9.Mang0354
Maynarde147
ViBE130
Trikslyr67
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV163
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP57
• StrangeGG 41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv579
Upcoming Events
OSC
21h 56m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 8h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.