• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:39
CEST 16:39
KST 23:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9657 users

How comfortable do you feel about attending a live esports…

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
TL.net Bot
Profile Joined June 2004
TL.net140 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-16 19:23:29
January 16 2022 19:20 GMT
#1
Discussion thread for the frontpage poll: How comfortable do you feel about attending a live esports event in first half 2022?
hexhaven
Profile Joined July 2014
Finland965 Posts
January 16 2022 19:38 GMT
#2
With proper safety measures in place*, very comfortable. Katowice is in just over a month, and though there's a chance it won't happen without an audience, I'm hopeful. My reasoning is that even if I get exposed, I can quarantine pretty easily, and I'm not interacting with vulnerable people.

* Attendees should be fully vaccinated and boostered, with testing as needed.
WriterI shoot events. | http://www.jussi.co/esports
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10391 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-16 19:42:13
January 16 2022 19:41 GMT
#3
Frankly, not at all.

I am comfortable with going grocery shopping, because it is easy to social distance, and it doesn't take very long, so I can sanitize my hands, remove my mask, and move on with my life quite quickly afterward. I am comfortable going to a few local bars that I know, because I know the owners, I know the atmosphere, and I know the people I am going with, and it is definitely a low risk situation (also socially distanced, good cleaning done between customers, rarely a lot of people there in the first place even before the pandemic outside of peak hours/dates, etc.)

An eSports event? No thank you. Too many strangers from too many different places, many probably hailing from urban areas which are hotbeds for transmission, many who probably have lacking hygiene or are just straight up anti-vaxxers, etc. Fuck all that noise. Watching eSports live is not worth the risk to my family, even with this milder variant. You never know who will get lasting long-term effects or what they even might be for Omicron at this point.

eSports has the privilege (in many situations) of being very flexible in terms of venue, to the point where the whole tournament can run online in most cases. Sure, it is less "hype" and not nearly as social because Twitch chat is cancer, but at the very least the games can continue and the players have something to practice for. We should be exercising that privilege as much as possible.

Furthermore, I feel like I wouldn't want to go to an eSports event because it will be populated by people who are okay with going to a major sporting event right now, which implies to me that their understanding or appreciation of the severity of the virus does not line up with my own, so I'd rather just not deal with them/that situation.

Finally, I feel like giving up and attending events of this nature are part of the reason why we are 2 years into this shit at this point, too. I don't want to contribute to the problem.

Would like to add that I currently live outside NYC so I am imagining an NYC/AC event.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
Master of DalK
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
Canada1803 Posts
January 16 2022 19:44 GMT
#4
I've mostly resigned myself since its my line of work, GENESIS 8 was supposed to happen in 2 weeks and I was prepared to get omicron even by being safe and everyone being vaxxed, etc, since it was going to be like 5K people. Luckily they've postponed it to April though, I think in the warmer months it'll be easier to handle.
@MasterDalK | Maelstrom Entertainment | Streaming Every Esport Under the Sun
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13021 Posts
January 16 2022 20:43 GMT
#5
I am comfortable for Katowice and later tournaments since the covid wave should have calmed down by then, and the audience allowed needs a valid EU covid digital certificate, which lessens the risk furthermore. I will probably lock down myself / close to it for one week before the event just in case, but I am hopeful.
WriterMaru
Beelzebub1
Profile Joined May 2015
1005 Posts
January 16 2022 20:50 GMT
#6
Sure, but everyone needs to have a valid COVID vaccination card, wear masks, and get a forehead temperature check.
koalabro
Profile Joined June 2021
59 Posts
January 16 2022 21:02 GMT
#7
I was ready in the middle of 2020. Hell, I'm unvaccinated now and ready to go as long no vaccination, masks or temperature checks are required.
JJH777
Profile Joined January 2011
United States4420 Posts
January 16 2022 21:49 GMT
#8
On January 17 2022 06:02 koalabro wrote:
I was ready in the middle of 2020. Hell, I'm unvaccinated now and ready to go as long no vaccination, masks or temperature checks are required.


Yikes.
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
January 16 2022 22:51 GMT
#9
It would depend on whether or not there's a COVID surge going on in the region. Plus, where the event is being held matters too - a lot of places in East Asia would be safer from a COVID perspective compared to say the USA, due to a variety of factors
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
dbRic1203
Profile Joined July 2019
Germany2655 Posts
January 17 2022 07:41 GMT
#10
I was thinking about going to one of the HSCs this year.
But it will depend heavily in their safty measures.
If it is going to be vaccinated + Boosted + tested and social distancing and Hygiene Standards in place, I might consider it.

I still feel unconfortable in the Metro though, especially in rush hours, there are just to many people in the same enclosed space with you.
Luckily I work from home like 90% of the time
MaxPax
Spinoza
Profile Joined October 2010
667 Posts
January 17 2022 08:31 GMT
#11
I feel completely comfortable attending any event. I am healthy with no illnesses at all. You know .. it is not enough to just live, you have to have something to live for.

I don't want to rot away in isolation. Life should and must be experienced at the fullest. This madness must stop.

Cheers everyone!
FanTaSy | Flash | Movie | Leta | Stork | Map:Destination[BW]
TequilaMockingbird
Profile Joined February 2013
Germany68 Posts
January 17 2022 08:35 GMT
#12
If everyone is vaccinated three times, tested and wearing masks is mandatory I would go. Kinda doubt Katowice is really going to happen offline though... or maybe with like 500 peeps in attendance.
Gluon
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands425 Posts
January 17 2022 13:20 GMT
#13
I would love to go back to a live event, even if it carries a nonzero risk. I would assume standard safety measures will be in place, and previous experiments with such events have shown that the risks are quite manageable. Perhaps an outdoor venue could be tried?
Administrator
TheCheapSkate
Profile Joined August 2011
Slovenia317 Posts
January 17 2022 13:46 GMT
#14
Very comfortable since i am vaxxed and Omicron seems to be almost as mild as a cold to the protected.
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10391 Posts
January 17 2022 15:32 GMT
#15
On January 17 2022 06:49 JJH777 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2022 06:02 koalabro wrote:
I was ready in the middle of 2020. Hell, I'm unvaccinated now and ready to go as long no vaccination, masks or temperature checks are required.


Yikes.

This thread already has multiple examples of the kind of mentality that would be present among the attendees of an eSports event right now, which contributes to my saying "fuck no." With attendees like these, IEM Katowice could become a "super spreader" event just like that.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
Spirral
Profile Joined February 2021
86 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-17 17:21:35
January 17 2022 17:08 GMT
#16
On January 18 2022 00:32 Jealous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2022 06:49 JJH777 wrote:
On January 17 2022 06:02 koalabro wrote:
I was ready in the middle of 2020. Hell, I'm unvaccinated now and ready to go as long no vaccination, masks or temperature checks are required.


Yikes.

This thread already has multiple examples of the kind of mentality that would be present among the attendees of an eSports event right now, which contributes to my saying "fuck no." With attendees like these, IEM Katowice could become a "super spreader" event just like that.


Another issue is that IEM Katowice is happening in Poland where sadly the mentality of many seems to be to not give a shit about Covid restrictions. Many people don't even wear masks in the supermarkets and in buses/trains and usually nobody cares because there is a general approval to go against the regulations. The current government is afraid to impose stricter regulations, probably to not piss off their electorate and not damage the economy even more. However it is important to note that Poland has one of the highest ratio of Covid-related deaths so one should be extremely careful when going there. Take note that if the Polish government allows for such events to take place it doesn't mean it's safe to go there. If they cared about people's safety they would close down everything long ago.
billynasty
Profile Joined October 2014
United States260 Posts
January 17 2022 18:35 GMT
#17
I'd go for sure 100%, i know a lot of like minded individuals that feel the same too.
We need to get back to life eventually. People are getting infected without having esports events so we might as well have esports cuz what difference does it make? Go abide by the local rules on vaccinations, where a mask & take precautions but live some kind of life.
The way this is being spoken about, this is something we're gonna have to live with (and die with) for years to come.
I'd rather live life as much as possible when i have it, than be in some suspended animation state in perpetuity where for years none of us are living at all.
Theres a new variant called Deltacron. Months from now there'll be Omideltacovidcron. Next year it'll be something else & then the next year. If we stick with the status quo it could be years before a live SC2 event takes place again. Heck the gaem could be daed by then... and so could you. It'd be nice to live a bit when we still can imho
i dont miss God but i sure miss Santa Claus
InfCereal
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada1759 Posts
January 17 2022 19:25 GMT
#18
On January 17 2022 06:02 koalabro wrote:
I was ready in the middle of 2020. Hell, I'm unvaccinated now and ready to go as long no vaccination, masks or temperature checks are required.


If these are the kinds of people going - no, not comfortable at all.
Cereal
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10864 Posts
January 17 2022 19:50 GMT
#19
I'm not really comfortable at all with going to be honest, because I feel like it is too hard to make it fail safe with the resurgence of covid happening...I am not sure it would be possible to have it 100% safe, even if everyone was vaccinated / boosted / temperature checked, but hopefully this all changes soon.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
BronzeKnee
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5226 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-17 21:03:25
January 17 2022 21:02 GMT
#20
So much can change over 6 months... right now I would not attend. But a couple of months ago I would have.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1027
ComeBackTV 716
SteadfastSC603
TaKeTV 432
IndyStarCraft 136
Rex112
EnkiAlexander 68
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 603
IndyStarCraft 136
ProTech132
Rex 112
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 49424
Bisu 2147
Horang2 1284
EffOrt 952
Hyuk 608
Soma 606
BeSt 537
Mini 485
Light 431
Larva 300
[ Show more ]
Rush 238
ZerO 212
910 94
Mong 85
Leta 74
firebathero 64
Sea.KH 61
Pusan 57
Snow 51
ToSsGirL 39
Sexy 38
Mind 36
JYJ 29
Aegong 29
Yoon 25
Bale 22
Terrorterran 17
Shine 15
Trap 14
Rock 13
Noble 12
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7171
qojqva949
Counter-Strike
Fnx 761
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1501
Khaldor1087
Lowko523
Other Games
singsing2030
olofmeister1585
hiko1272
Beastyqt620
B2W.Neo409
Livibee198
Hui .181
Liquid`VortiX149
XaKoH 127
KnowMe94
ArmadaUGS90
djWHEAT77
Mew2King75
QueenE58
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV214
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream82
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 15
• mYiSmile110
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 33
• FirePhoenix10
• Michael_bg 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3148
Other Games
• Shiphtur165
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 21m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 21m
Online Event
20h 21m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.