• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:04
CEST 19:04
KST 02:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9906 users

[SSL] Ro8 Interviews - Day 1

Forum Index > BW General
3 CommentsPost a Reply
Stratos
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Czech Republic6104 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-31 08:18:34
January 30 2015 19:57 GMT
#1
[image loading]

The first day of the quarterfinals featured (T)Mong vs (P)free and (T)Mind vs (T)Last in two best of three matches.



[image loading]


You advanced to the semifinals. How do you feel?
After winning the first set it often seemed like it would be a reverse sweep so honestly I was nervous. I originally expected Yongtae hyung to win Blue Storm with some strategic play but I didn't expect the third set to be so difficult. From the games so far, having now advanced to the semifinals is what I'm most happy about. I'm really delighted.

You showed an unyielding spirit in all three games.
I have a lot of experience with losing games despite being in lead. (laughs) So I didn't give up in either of the sets despite the disadvantage.

You turned the first set around.
I practised with Yoon Chul (Snow) and I couldn't even win half of the games. So I was quite frustrated and I think I'd have a hard time if free went with fast carriers. I thought that I should win if I can only delay that until the late game.

You didn't give up easily in the second set.
I did think I already lost in the second set but I thought I shouldn't become a player that loses without giving up a fight. The third set wasn't easy either. I didn't want to give up in the psychological warfare. To tell the truth, my gg timing was off. (laughs)

You started at a disadvantage in the third game.
The moment I walled myself off I thought my opponent was certainly twelve-nexing. But that meant that I may not be able to do the strategy I prepared so adjusting the strategy wasn't easy.

The ninja expansion got you a great advantage.
It was a strategy I prepared originally. If you get a secret base up you can only get ahead. If you can only get into the eleven o'clock base fast and set up your base you can win the game so I expanded early on. I used fantasy's strategy for reference and his winrate was good. Luck was on my side today. If free's observer spotted the ninja expansion I would have just lost the game.

Seeing free's PvT in the tiebreakers must have been intimidating.
It really seemed like he was a man counter to Mind. Sung Gyoon hyung (Mind) helped free earlier and even then it was fifty-fifty. But oddly he just kept winning against Mind no matter what he did. It was truly amazing. I didn't think of him as an opponent I couldn't beat but seeing the match-up quite a few fans told me "good job" [as in, it's over]. Hearing these talks I tried even harder.

Since you reached the semifinals your goals must have changed.
Now I aim to advance into the finals. I can prepare for a TvT in the semifinal so I want to start preparing hard right away.

Anything you want to say?
Many people came to support me. I'm sincerely thankful and I'll do my utmost best on free's behalf. I want to thank Snow who helped me practise.

Source: DES



[image loading]


You advanced to the semifinals. How do you feel?
I considered round of 8 to be critical but I advanced easier than I had expected so I'm pleased. For some reason I felt like if I can get out of this round I'll go to the finals so it's nice. Seeing that I'll be matched up with a Terran in the semifinals I played my game quite relaxed.

How was your condition today?
I played a lot of games preparing for the match so my wrist hurt a lot. My performance didn't seem good either so I focused on my handling my condition. I had a deep desire to show a good performance even if it meant losing.

Why did you think this round was critical?
Sung Gyoon hyung (Mind) plays well and with the tiebreakers he got to play a lot of broadcasted matches. I was mostly worried because of his improved performance.

Did you imagine you would be winning so easily?
It went as I imagined during practice so it's a relief. The game went in the direction I needed to get ahead. I was able to fight well when it came to siege lines and I was able to predict the opponent's build as well.

It seemed like you prepared so that you wouldn't lose the initiative.
Whenever I prepare I pick my build so that I'm able to grasp the initiative. Honestly, I used to just play standard during Brood War but playing SC2 opened my eyes when it comes to strategic play. Because of that my skills seems to have upgraded.

You are one of the players that like TvT. You will be playing Mong in the semifinals.
I saw Mong's and free's game beforehand and the Terran won. The maps favored the Protoss and the semifinals will be a best of five series so there would seem to be even more Protoss favored maps. Had free advanced I would've been frustrated but since Mong did I was secretly glad. TvT is a battle of skills and I am confident I won't lose.

There is a prejudice that TvT is boring.
It feels a bit like Baduk/Go and if you take a deep look at TvT it's really interesting. I wish everyone would understand that. TheMarine (caster) was also a Terran player, wasn't he? I hope that he does a cool commentary in the semifinals.

Would you also like to play a Terran in the finals?
I'd be fine with a Protoss advancing as well but, honestly, if a Terran did, it would be good for me. (laughs)

Source: DES



Original interviews by Daily eSports journalist Lee Sora - sora@dailyesports.com

SSL banners by: DiMiaN
Facebook Twitter Reddit
En Taro Violet
prech
Profile Joined March 2014
United States2948 Posts
January 30 2015 21:33 GMT
#2
Thanks, Stratos

"ninja expansion"


Honestly, I used to just play standard during Brood War but playing SC2 opened my eyes when it comes to strategic play. Because of that my skills seems to have upgraded.
Secret advantage from SC2!
Liquipedia
c3rberUs
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Japan11821 Posts
January 31 2015 04:15 GMT
#3
That's it, I'm rooting for Mong to go to the finals.

TY for the translations.
WriterMovie, 진영화 : "StarCraft will never die".
FlashLight40k
Profile Joined November 2014
United States12 Posts
February 02 2015 15:47 GMT
#4
I love Mong, but a best of 5 against Last! That's a difficult task.
The world's oldest StarCraft Brood War player.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 215
ProTech157
UpATreeSC 114
BRAT_OK 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3741
Bisu 1832
Soulkey 1171
EffOrt 732
Mini 541
Larva 342
Horang2 250
ZerO 241
actioN 166
ggaemo 159
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 138
hero 85
Mind 77
Sharp 76
Shinee 51
sorry 51
Snow 43
Hyun 41
Barracks 37
Bale 34
Trap 29
Terrorterran 21
ToSsGirL 19
NaDa 18
Rock 13
scan(afreeca) 13
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Noble 8
zelot 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5817
Dendi1419
420jenkins397
XaKoH 352
League of Legends
Reynor73
Counter-Strike
fl0m3727
pashabiceps694
Fnx 655
edward28
x6flipin0
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes406
Liquid`Hasu183
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1509
hiko807
FrodaN703
Grubby556
XBOCT251
Livibee186
TKL 123
QueenE96
C9.Mang073
Mew2King35
ZerO(Twitch)23
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 71
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 45
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV696
League of Legends
• Nemesis4041
• TFBlade899
Other Games
• Shiphtur514
• imaqtpie0
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 57m
Patches Events
22h 57m
The PondCast
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.