• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:27
CEST 09:27
KST 16:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)30Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9805 users

New matchmaking algorithm (built in VPN)

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
TT1
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada10089 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-09 04:36:33
August 09 2019 03:25 GMT
#1
Everyone on NA is hitting Koreans atm, pretty sure Blizz changed the matchmaking algorithm. TR has been pretty good as well, im getting TR16 low every game (about 25% of players change it to high). Are Europeans hitting kors as well?

Queue time is below 30 secs and i think MMR is being prioritized now (over location)? Haven't seen any patch notes yet.
ab = tl(i) + tl(pc), the grand answer to every tl.net debate
Q~Bert
Profile Joined June 2006
United States670 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-09 04:41:37
August 09 2019 04:32 GMT
#2
Yep, first and second game on and I quickly matched a 2100+ korean with tr 20.
aka: Yaj
hiro protagonist
Profile Joined January 2009
1294 Posts
August 09 2019 04:35 GMT
#3
Sweet! This is a good thing right? TR20 is pretty good all things considered.
"I guess if you climb enough off-widths, one of these days, your gonna get your knee stuck and shit your pants. Its just an odds thing really" -Jason Kruk
TT1
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada10089 Posts
August 09 2019 04:40 GMT
#4
On August 09 2019 13:35 hiro protagonist wrote:
Sweet! This is a good thing right? TR20 is pretty good all things considered.


TR16 is playable, anything below that is pretty bad tho. I think NA East/West coast get TR16~TR20, dunno about other regions. I imagine SA vs Korea is really bad, prob a few EU countries too. As an NA player i'd love to hit more EU players.
ab = tl(i) + tl(pc), the grand answer to every tl.net debate
iRk-AGge
Profile Joined October 2017
Sweden400 Posts
August 09 2019 04:55 GMT
#5
Yeah I get alot of games vs koreans since the new patch.
Q~Bert
Profile Joined June 2006
United States670 Posts
August 09 2019 04:59 GMT
#6
On August 09 2019 13:55 iRk-AGge wrote:
Yeah I get alot of games vs koreans since the new patch.


Well as far as NA today is the first time. Around this time I typically match nothing but 1600 mmr noobs after a 3 minute queue. I log on today and match 4 koreans all over 2000.
aka: Yaj
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10862 Posts
August 09 2019 05:48 GMT
#7
Oh well that makes sense then lol, ping seemed more playable too and I am suffering from some lag issues for sure, thanks for posting.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
QuadroX
Profile Joined August 2017
386 Posts
August 09 2019 06:19 GMT
#8
Does it still prefer closer regions (if close MMR)?
Bonyth
Profile Joined August 2010
Poland619 Posts
August 09 2019 06:56 GMT
#9
Just checked. No changes for Europeans. I got a Korean after over 300 seconds queue time, 2nd time i got matched with Dandy after waiting over 300 seconds.
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-09 09:04:33
August 09 2019 07:05 GMT
#10
West coast California here. Getting 2100+ one game and 1200-1500 the next. Wait times have been all over the place. From 220 seconds to less then 5.

Polish - terrible lag
S.korea - playable lag
Germany - playable
Mexico - mostly playable

I don't know about all this turnrate stuff, so I can't answer but there is definitely a difference.
dM-White
Profile Joined February 2007
Chile344 Posts
August 09 2019 07:09 GMT
#11
THANKS BLIZZARD !

Finally waiting less than 100 secs
Op dM- @West || http://DisturbedMind.net || https://discord.gg/ePERqJp
QuadroX
Profile Joined August 2017
386 Posts
August 09 2019 11:03 GMT
#12
I trust Bonyth. Keeping VPN on for now. Maybe blizzard just experimenting with things live.
LG)Sabbath
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Argentina3024 Posts
August 09 2019 12:44 GMT
#13
I don't see any change yet, in fact if I put on a vpn I match in under 20 secs every time but the skill difference is huge, 1800 player in kor is like 2100 NA or more
https://www.twitch.tv/argsabbath/
Ziggy
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
South Korea2107 Posts
August 09 2019 12:51 GMT
#14
Yeah, they need to work on this. I just got matched against the third ranked player on ladder at 2737mmr (not sure whose acc that is).
WriterDefeating a sandwich only makes it tastier. @imjustziggy
Psyonic_Reaver
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4343 Posts
August 09 2019 14:04 GMT
#15
I got nothing but Koreans last night about 10 games in a row.

The lag was decent. Not great but still playable.
So wait? I'm bad? =(
-Debaser-
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States329 Posts
August 09 2019 14:06 GMT
#16
Thank god for RANK fix. Still waiting for blizzard to implement BWAPI though

finally we can play KOREA without VPN. Thank you blizzard...
TL+ Member
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33704 Posts
August 09 2019 14:31 GMT
#17
someone tell me if this is good or bad so I know if I should praise or disparage blizzard
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Q~Bert
Profile Joined June 2006
United States670 Posts
August 09 2019 14:42 GMT
#18
On August 09 2019 23:31 Waxangel wrote:
someone tell me if this is good or bad so I know if I should praise or disparage blizzard


If you are a high level player this is an enormous change and most would agree for the best. If you are low it's probably breakeven or not preferable because there was already plenty of opponents in your range without Korea.

Although I despise lag - the fact that I can now log on and instantly match a player often better than myself is mind boggling seeing as how some of the best NA players do not even ladder leaving only a handful of capable opponents and the rest aren't even a challenge.
aka: Yaj
Wonk
Profile Joined March 2017
546 Posts
August 09 2019 14:55 GMT
#19
On August 09 2019 23:31 Waxangel wrote:
someone tell me if this is good or bad so I know if I should praise or disparage blizzard



disparage by default, ofc

I'm still not sure about this, I watched artosis' stream this morning and he was getting serious TR issues vs. KR players, what does this say about the servers?
Ziggy
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
South Korea2107 Posts
August 09 2019 15:00 GMT
#20
well if they manage to do it properly i guess it's going to be a praiseworthy change

mudfish does a much better job of letting one play on the korean server
WriterDefeating a sandwich only makes it tastier. @imjustziggy
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
910 86
Bale 35
Aegong 32
ZergMaN 18
Killer 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm177
Fuzer 92
League of Legends
JimRising 530
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King286
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1480
Other Games
summit1g8724
olofmeister565
ceh9412
Happy260
Sick175
ArmadaUGS119
Livibee105
crisheroes87
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick534
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream274
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 11
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2298
League of Legends
• Rush1347
• Lourlo1200
• Stunt489
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
2h 33m
OSC
5h 33m
Stellar Fest
5h 33m
OSC
16h 33m
Stellar Fest
1d 5h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.