From Nate News, 10/21/09:
"If I have a daughter, I won't let her become a progamer," TossGirl
TossGirl entered ProLeague after winning four major women tournaments. She became a progamer against her parents' will. Though she has failed to enter the major individual leagues and has not scored a win at Proleague, she still presses on.
[Starcraft and STX SOUL]
The most memorable tournament and games?
- The Heritage Match in the last July, which was a main event for the eStars Seoul and when I beat Reach. And the game against a Chinese player at ESWC. My Mechanic strategy was thought to be weaker than my Bionic strategy, but I won with Mechanic and was glad to show to my fans that I put a good effort.
Your gaming pattern is the one where you do well but collapse at once. It seems that you lose your ground against unexpected plays. Please explain your gaming pattern: what's good, what's bad, and what to improve.
- I am not like that when I practice offline or at home, but during televized matches I get nervous because of the camera and the crowd. That's why I collapsed a lot when games get hectic. The good is that I pull fast attacks and lead psychologically. The bad is that I lose my ground during hectic games and my control. But I'm improving with practice.
The Samsung coach January used to be a female progamer. Is becoming a coach in your mind? What kind of coach?
- I've never thought of that. But if I become one, I wanna be like the coach Kim of our team. He treats players with trust, so they believe and follow him. I wanna become a coach with that kind of relationship.
How did you feel about beating Reach and [NC]Yellow on the televized matches?
- It feels good to win no matter who the opponent is. In retrospect, I had practiced a lot for the game against Reach, but he wasn't being careful enough. I had won against [NC]Yellow before at the WCG preliminary, and even then he wasn't being careful enough. Because the opponents lose guard, I feel like I should try harder. I wanna be able to win whether the opponents lose guard. Then I'll be really happy. But I feel like players won't lose guard on me now.
Who do you practice with at STX SOUL? Who are you friend with the most and how's the team atmosphere?
- I practice with everybody and am friend with everyone. Among them, Notice and YoonJoong get along with me well.
It's true that STX SOUL has many good players, but you don't get to play often though you're the most senior. Is this purely because of the skill or have you thought of this from the side of sexual discrimination? Has the coach mentioned this? About the fair level of getting to play.
- Except ACE, there are 11 progaming teams, and no team gives you a chance to play just because you're the most senior. The same with ACE. It's naturally like that as progamers. For a team to win, the players with the most skill and the best condition should get to play and that's fair. Of course I wanna get to play, so I'm doing my best to get to that level of skill and condition. I've never thought of it from the side of sexual discrimination. The team is considerate of me rather than discriminates.
What you think about Starcraft 2? What race will you play?
- I haven't played it yet. I watched it on TV, but I don't know how it is different from the original and didn't think about what race I'll play. I started out as a Protoss for the original but changed to Terran because it fits me better. I do wanna play Starcraft 2 and will pick the race that fits me the most. It hasn't been released yet, so rather than care about it I'll do my best on the original.
Who's your best progamer friend? Who's the strongest player?
- I like to practice by myself, so I don't get to spend time with people that much. I'm friend with my team mates, but since we spend most of our time practicing, we never got to hang out. Every team mate is nice, so I can't pick the nicest one. The strongest players would be Calm and KT's Flash.
What do you think of the job title "female progamer"? What would you say if someone wants to be one?
- If I were to advise someone that wants to be a female progamer, I'll just tell her to do her best. It's simple yet true. It's like that for any job, but as a progamer you can't survive if you don't do your best. More so for a female progamer. Many give up rather than put effort when they feel the gap from the male progamers. It's sad. As soon as possible, I wanna show that the gap can be overcome by effort.
2009 is going by. Your goal now and in the future?
- To play at ProLeague. I got to play during the last season but lost. It was a regret to miss the rare opportunity. I wanna get that chance again. I haven't thought about retiring yet. I'll have to one day but have never thought about the specific time. I'll do my best as long as opportunities come. Next year I plan to enter the individual leagues. My ultimate goal is to win an individual league and contributes to my team winning the ProLeague.
TossGirl and her sister (left) in 2006. Her sister is an actress.
Your sister is an actress. Please introduce her. Do you think about becoming an actress or a model?
- She was born in 1988 and was on a TV show. Lately she was featured in a Bacchus commercial (she was next to the pregnant lady). She's cuter than I am. We get along well, shopping together and stuff. Me acting or modeling? There was a chance for acting once, but I don't have it in mind. Seeing my sister, I realize it's tough and required a lot of effort. I wanna concentrate on being a progamer rather than trying other things.
And your twin sister? What does she do?
- She started Starcraft with me and was good. But she didn't become a progamer and is in college. We're twins but has different sides. I'm an introvert and quiet; she, an extrovert and energetic. She's smarter than I am and does better in school. We complement each other rather than being identical. She supports me a lot.
Boyfriend? If not, what's your ideal?
- Not at the moment. I'm conservative, so my ideal wouldn't be a flirty one or has many female friends around. I like someone that gives me his total attention. Someone who's inattentive and blunt to other girls but warm to me? It's nice if he looks good, but I'm not someone who's attracted by looks. Someone who consistently looks at me only. My younger sister and twin sister have the same idea. My mom worries whether any of us can get married.
Has any progamer flirted with you?
- No. I'm really an introvert, so even if I'm not a girl it's hard to approach me. Plus I don't act like a girl on purpose. So most progamers don't care.
Let's say you're married and your daughter wants to be a progamer. Would you let her?
- Okay for a son but no for a daughter. Being a progamer isn't good for your skin beauty. Your eyes and posture get bad too. I want my daughter to be pretty. But if she insists I wouldn't stop her. My parents opposed a lot but eventually trusted and understood me.
Other hobbies beside game?
- I like playing Piano (Mozart and Beethoven). I also like to watch movies and dramas. I hang out with my sisters rather than with friends. But I don't have time because of practice, so rather than doing something I special I hang out like everybody else-movies, shopping, eating, etc. I don't know good places to eat, so my sisters usually drag me along.
How do you feel when you see disrespectful comments about you?
- I don't usually read articles and comments. People sometimes tell me about bad comments, but I don't take it personally and don't care. None of my business. It's not like I tried not to care, I really don't.
- I thank everyone who loves me. I appreciate the care in spite of that I haven't got to play for a while. I'll do my best and show up at ProLeague. Thank you.
Reach’s Apology to TossGirl
[Interview] TossGirl on Her Heritage Group & More