Protoss (1 game)
PvZ (1 game) 0-1
As I was gaming one night, I seemed to only run into zerg players, so after like 5 ZvZs I just chose protoss.
ZERG (49 games)
ZvZ ( 9 games) 3- 6 33.3%
ZvT (18 games) 5-13 27.7%
ZvP (22 games) 7-15 31.8%
Average APM 140
Average APM of opponent 156
Average APM of opponent when I won 128
I'm 15-35 in the last 50 games
I'm 5-20 in the last 25 games
12hatch standard. My general gameplan is Lair:Ling Speed:Mutas:Lurkers:Hive:Defilers, adding in 1 or 2 evos when mutas are hatching, depending on how much gas I've got. Personally, I love seeing marines with +1 attack, because that means my first push out with lurkerling is going to melt them. I believe the idea behind getting +1 atk instead of +1 armor is to help deal with mutas easier, but I never engage marines with mutas anyway, so a few stray shots is the best they can hope for.
Still, I've got a lot of holes in my game. I'm really bad at scourging vessels, I've only used defilers a couple times (because the game is over by then usually), and I'm still trying to work out the right ling:hydra ratio when I macro. I also need to work on building my overlords BEFORE I need them, so I don't have to sit and wait for them to finish to build my next force. And I'm having a bit of trouble keeping my 3rd against good Terrans. They always send SCVs or scan. I just need to remember to send 2 or 3 hydras to morph on the ramp.
I'm getting better at ZvP, though I always feel like Protoss has an inherent advantage. Especially with the freedom ramps afford them, with 2 zealots they can do whatever infuriating strategy they want with basically no risk; reaver/sair, +1speed, DTsair, etc. Meanwhile, I pretty much have to do the same thing every time. I've changed to 12hatch standard from 12pool, unless we're on close positions (assuming python) and I scout 2gate. Something like 12hatch:evo:den:lair:lurkers:hive:ultracrackdrops. I need to work a spire into regular play to deal with shuttles however. The popular build I've been running into as of late has been fast corsair with 2 zeals to block ramp, into +1 speed and expand. I think the most depressing way to lose is to a couple corsairs killing your ovies when you have no way to defend them, so fast sair has that going for it, and I've only played 1 or 2 games ever where the protoss didn't get a stargate as soon as their cyber was done. I'm getting better at having a couple hydras/maybe a couple spores to stop the harass, and I tend to build more sunkens at my nat to stop the impending +1 speed attack, while teching to lurkers, which usually aren't done in time to stop the attack otherwise. I'm having trouble knowing when to expand after that, because until I have lurkers, I can't compete with his +1speedzeal/goon army, and so I can't defend any expos. Then the protoss ends up out-expanding me, and will eventually just run me over, usually.
I actually got to play a few of these this set, and I even won a few. I 12gas11pool standard now, and go straight for mutas while pumping as many lings as I can to block my ramp. After playing a couple games with CharlieMurphy, he told me that ZvZ is moving toward a 2-base standard now. Though I'm really unsure as to how I'll be able to defend both my ramp and my nat, I'll give this some consideration and probably try it in my next set.
1.Why are there so many games in a non-English language and so many players that don't type English on USWest?
1. Are there any other 1rax builds besides 1rax:cc? Can I safely assume that the Terran is going to expand if he only builds one rax?
2. How viable is it for me to take my 3rd gas immediately when scouting 1rax:cc? I mean taking a third as if I scouted an FE Protoss. Is this something I should be doing?
3. Watching the Savior v Flash Allstar Skins games, I noticed that Savior takes his 3rd right before muta harass, then harasses for quite a while, while massing up a large lurkerling force and teching to defiler. Most importantly, he doesn't move out with his lurkerling until he has dark swarm. Is this the standard play? I generally try to attack Terran's front with a medium-sized lurkerling force (6-7 lurkers, 2-3 dozen lings) while part of his mnm force is distracted by my muta harass. Should I just wait and get defilers asap?
1. When should I get a spire to scourge shuttles?
2. Going muta rather than lurker doesn't seem like a viable option because Protoss always goes for sairs, but very often I notice that the Protoss has no cannons protecting his main, and I'd like to punish him. A force of muta/scourge may be able to deal with a couple sairs, but if he has cannons, there's basically no way I can get any probe kills. Is there any way to know if he's cannoned up his main BEFORE risking so many resources? Is this even a viable strategy, or is it only an option against Protoss who don't go for fast sairs (basically nobody)?
How could I have won this game?
139 Dromar v SpoR
I feel I had an advantage around the time I destroyed his main, but his nat was so well defended with sunks and spores that I couldn't kill him, and he got spire and a shitload of scourge and turned the game around.
Constructive criticism, questions, and comments are welcome.